Sculptra for Melting Face - Fairfield, CA

I'm 47 and have always been thin. Within the last...

I'm 47 and have always been thin. Within the last 3 years have noticed that my face seems to be melting away! Everything is starting to slide south. I notice some wrinkles on my cheeks which got progressively worse. After a consultation with a plastic surgeon for a mini facelift, he recommended Sculptra. I then did a lot of research over the last 3 years and finally decided to move forward because it has become so severe. I chose my MD based on the Sculptra website. She is a Diamond provider and is a trainer for other physicians. This is super important. You have to know that the person who is doing your procedure knows what they are doing and does it often.

I am 2 days post treatment. The swelling is starting to go down. I have bruised pretty good. It is my own fault. I took Ibuprofen to help reduce the swelling, which it did, however I now have purple bruising. FYI, don't plan on any social functions within days. That is why I took the Ibuprofen.

I will keep everyone posted.

So the swelling and bruising went down after a...

So the swelling and bruising went down after a full week. I had to wear a lot of makeup to cover the bruising. I noticed my wrinkles all come back as predicted after the swelling went down. However, on Friday March 29 at two weeks since I had my treatment, I swear that I see a difference. The lines on the sides of my cheeks are beginning to become less noticable. I attached a picture from today 04/01. You decide!

The latest picture is 6 weeks after my first...

The latest picture is 6 weeks after my first treatment. I am starting to see results, but it is slow. I went in for a follow-up with my MD and she suggested 2 additional vials. I again reiterated that I did not want to have that puffed up overdone looking face that many older women - Real Housewives of wherever - have. She assured me that would not happen. So I hope to continue to see improvement over the coming months. I will continue to post updated pics. Second treatment on 05/03/13.

Almost 4 months post 1st treatment

I took this tonight. It is 5 days away from 4 months since my first Sculptra treatment. I do have to let you know though I did have a Belotera treatment around my lip area for wrinkles and fine lines. So that helped there. Not sure I got $500 worth of results, but I had to try it since the lines around my mouth drive me nuts.

Back to Sculptra though... I definitely, am seeing my face plumping up. I feel it in my cheek bones when I wash my face and I notice my face looking better. My sister noticed that my face is looking better too. What do you think?

7.5 Almost 8 months Post First Treatment

I wanted to post an updated pic. I think my face is still looking better. I am debating on whether to get one more treatment or to wait until it has been a year and then perhaps do 2 more. I am so happy I got this treatment!

#rd Treatment on 11/08/13

I saw my MD on 11/08 and decided to have one further Sculptra treatment. It went well. Minimal bruising and she concentrated more on my cheek bones and temples to try to give me more of a lift. I am looking forward to the results. No matter cosmetic procedures for me for awhile! I'll post pics in a few weeks once the initial swelling goes down.
Solano Dermatology

Dr. Serena Mraz - Awesome Doc!

Hello everyone! I will be posting new pics in a few weeks. I just want to let all the residual swelling go down before I post.

Looking forward to it :)

Thanks for you reviews and follow up. post more pics!
Please post an updated pic after your second vial! You look great!
Did you have any upper lip lines?
I definitely see a difference in the latest picture. Your face looks softer and fuller. Subtle yet significant. Congrats.
I think your skin looks fantastic! I hope you continue to see fab results! The permanence if sculptra makes me nervous, but since I'm close to taking an iron to my dynamic (why they call them dynamic is a mystery) cheek wrinkles, I'm on the hunt for a solution...lacking patience at 49,! Yikes :)

You face does look a little fuller to me in the July 10th picture, compared to the one taken 6 weeks post op. Its subtle.

Please post an updated picture, I'm anxious to see!
Thanks Izzy, I posted a new pic!
The two week pic looks great...the five week seems less full..it would be great if we could just find something we could do ourselves to irritate our face and keep it plumped up without paying these outrageous prices to rich puffed up doctors etc, helping them to live their overindulgent luxurious lives and for us to be light in our wallets ...it sickens me all this stuff is so cheap but they charge such astronomical fees ..especially with all the competition
Hey Elle, I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't disagree that it is expensive, but, what I feel I am paying for is my MD's expertise is applying the product or the service. I know I could find Sculptra elsewhere for cheaper. However I would be very apprehensive about the experience of the person applying it. When it comes to cosmetic procedures I find you absolutely get what you pay for.
You could try using a dermaroller. Cheap but it does stimulate collagen. Hurts though and you have to be consistent. I'm planning to do Sculptra after the holidays
Hi KimR. Do you have any additional before pictures (without the numbing cream)? It would be great to see the progression. thanks!
Hi Laurel, I don't have any good close ups. I am going to ask my MD for a copy of her before pics that she took.

just had first sculptra injections today- no bruising at all, minimal swelling- in fact the swelling makes my skin look great! I didnt need any topical numbing cream or pain killers or anything. My dermatologist did the procedure & it was comparable to Botox /Restalyne etc. I go back in 3 weeks for check up and more if needed- My derm & I are the same age (50) and she swears by it- she looks great & i trust her 100%. SO far everything she has done on/with my skin/face has been incredible- people tell me i look 40 tops- i do take scrupulous care of my skin though! I have to massage 5x a day for 5min for 5 days she told me with the Sculptra & that hurts today as face is sore from injections- but tolerable. i think this is going to be wonderful-

Nina, how is it going for you?
hi Kim- just returned from second go round with sculptra this morning- doc says all look great (it does) and she injected 2 vials in same location as before- it hurt less and even now the pain seems less intense when i massage than the first treatment- (but maybe i am just used to it ) I will still need occasional botox for small wrinkles in forehead around bottom of eyes but this i only do 2 x a year as i have been getting botox since age 35 and really dont have deep furrows of any kind because of that. My face looks lifted, plump & glowy and even though is the initial reaction to the sculptra i know that long term this is the result i can expect so am thrilled. If you plan on doing this procedure or any like this please find a really good doctor that you trust and have a relationship with- i would not let just anyone poke needles into my face! (still have to do the 5/5/5 massage )
Thanks for the update Nina!
Did you get 2 vials at same time in one place? I have an appt for this later this month since I've lost fat in my cheeks and look gaunt! Hoping for good results! Keep us posted
I love Sculptra . You are seeing a difference. The same result with me after the swelling went away the growth process began and continued. Its been 2 years since my injection and still looks great. It is a product way worth the upfront cost.
Hi Deenie! How many vials did you have done? I am trying to decide if I want to have any more done. I had 2 done. I am a thin person and don't want to have that puffed up looking face, that is why I'm not sure I want to have more done.
Hi, thanks for posting. With Sculptra, you have to wait about five weeks for the treatment to kick in. The picture immediately after the treatment just shows your face filled with the carrier fluid which is why it looks plumped up. This is supposed to disappear and then the collagen regeneration starts. It's a slow process and usually at least two treatments are necessary. I had it done a few years ago and was delighted. But you need patience and you must make sure to massage your face five times a day for five days to prevent lumps. I did this and didn't have any problems.
Thank you Marianna for your comments. Yes I know that the puffiness is caused from the Sculptra and lidocaine that was injected and it won't last. Just trying to show folks how they can expect to look!
Marianna Daniel?? Dr daube?