46 Year Old Mom of Two Had Medial Thigh Lift. - Fairfax, VA

Beginning as a young adolescent I suffered from a...

Beginning as a young adolescent I suffered from a condition called Hidradenitis suppurativa bilaterally in the groin area. The infections left horrible scars. There were other issues occurring when I began having these outbreaks which left me emotionally scarred, both events began around the same time. For almost three decades I suffered with these scars, internally and externally. But now, I look at my inner thighs, and even though I am still healing from the surgery, it is hard to believe what I see is me! He is truly a gifted surgeon.

Welcome and thanks s o much for sharing your experience with us!

I'm so glad everything went well for you and you're enjying your results. How was your recovery period? Was there much pain or downtime?
I don't think I was prepared for the extent of real down time, and I healed really well! I was finally driving, albeit not too comfortably, by week 4. The healing in the back, the crease of the butt, has been the most challenging. I was pretty swollen the first week, in fact, I ended up using corn starch between my swollen inner thighs to help relieve the pain of rubbing. Best advice was from my doctor, keep your knees together that first week, and I did!
Thanks for the extra information. I'll be having this surgery myself and all of the advice from people gone before me, is much appreciated!

Please do keep us updated with your progress and let us know how you get on!

?I don't think I was prepared for the extent of real down time...

Just make sure you have lots of help the first two weeks. Make sure you go into surgery healthy , and find a doctor that knows the most updated techniques, anchoring skin to your pelvic bone will reduce likelihood of labia pulling to the groin crease.

Six weeks today

Still experiencing a little tenderness in butt crease , but overall feeling great and ready for summer. Dr Rao is fabulous and he has worked a miracle for me. I never thought I could be scar free.

So happy for you, glad you are healing so nicely....I also had the medial thigh lift with my lower body lift. The LBL is so major, I sorta just forgot about the thigh lift, but the scars are so thin, I too am very happy with the outcome....
how long ago was your surgery?
Thanks for the tips, they're all appreciated. I've got a little while before I need to find a doctor, but I'll be looking and researching several before I make a decision. :-)

6 months post op

Scaring is healing beautifully. I used a silicone gel once the rounds had healed, for several months and I think it really helped. I can't stress enough, if you are planning a medial thigh lift, make sure your PS anchors to your pelvic bone! I had no labia pulling at all.

You look great, is it possible you could send a picture of the incisions by your butt, I am looking into this procedure. Thank you Fitagain.

Groin scars

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Crease in butt from medial thigh lift

The scars in the back are healing nicely, I think my butt looks better now ! Just be patient, healing takes time.

Thanks, I can't even see your butt cheek scars, amazing, and great groin scars, great results, thanks for sharing so quickly! Ya look beautiful. And you are brave.
Hi fitagain, I just posted some new pics. Butt healing was the hardest for me. But my PS did a fabulous job and all the scars are in the rights places.
Hi louiseSK, thanks for posting the Picts, really I am an educated person, are the scars underneath your butt cheek where it meets the thigh? If it is, I can't tell and yes you PS did an amazing job but it looks like you had a very nice booty to work with, I don't :( mine is flat already. And of course the groin incisions speak for themselves, wonderful healing. So no scars are in between the cracks of your butt cheeks? So sorry, dumb questions, huh. Did the medial thigh lift go from wher I see, in the groin and carry on down to the bottom of butt cheeks then. Was there any kind of noticable "butt lift" from this procedure. Thank you for your time. Fitagain.

Butt crease incision

Butt crease scars are truly hidden when standing. They continue to lighten and soften in texture. This pic is taken somewhat bent forward so you can really see them.

Hi louiseSK! Thank you for the comment on my journal … it's quite a mental, emotional and physical transformation that's taking place. Looking at your amazing pictures and journal, I'm wondering when you started walking normally, do you remember? And at what point did you think you could sit for 3-4 hours without worrying? I'm going to be on a 3.5 hour flight Oct 29th and my surgery was Sept 29th. Do you think in 4.5 weeks that you would have been okay to take a flight for 3+ hours and walk through an airport okay?
Well, I'm trying to recall when I REALLY started to feel almost normal. I think it was around 8 weeks, I could bend down, although still tight, I could get in and out of car with ease, no worries at all. I think by three weeks I was walking normally, but not bending yet. I would NOT have been up to flying, no matter how long or short the trip. But three hours in a hard seat sounds like no fun at all. I think our bodies give us pain in order to act accordingly, i.e. take it easy. Only you can know how you will feel though.
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

What struck me first about Dr. Rao was his compassion. I shared my painful story and he really heard me, not just pretended to listen, but truly expressed a genuine concern. He looked at the scarring and immediately determined that he could help me. Not only could he help me, but he had a plan that would not leave me with misshapen labia due to possible pulling of skin reattachmen. He would do the thigh lift with the best technique of anchoring the new skin to my pelvis. I am a fairly petite person, and although I had recently lost 25 lbs, there was not a lot of excess skin to work with. And yet, he was confident he could remove all the scarring. I remember in the operating room, as they prepared to but me to sleep, he patted my arm, reassuring me, telling me not to worry, he would take good care of me. And he did! He had prepared me for a common occurrence of wound separation, but that never happened, I healed with no problems. It has been four weeks, and although I am still recovering, I am thankful every day that my life's journey brought me to Dr. Rao. He may look young, but his skill as a surgeon is undeniable. His compassion, well, that is what truly makes him an outstanding doctor and human being.