Expensive Lesson in Invisalign

I got really excited at the idea of finally...

I got really excited at the idea of finally straightening up my teeth without ugly braces. I'm 44 and can't imagine being around work mates wearing big metal bands and wires.

I watched a video about invisalign and it seemed pretty awesome. Clear retainers custom shaped would move teeth back into proper alignment.

I decided to go for it. I won't mention my NY ortho who sold me Invisalign, but I really think he misrepresented the product as far as working for my situation. I have bite problems which invisalign--I later learned--doesn't address. I did close some gaps and get some improvement in my smile, but it felt very subtle considering the thousands I spent and numerous trips it required to the doctor.

I can't say it's a terrible product, but be aware that you may not be a good candidate for invisalign and you could end up spending a bunch of money for meager results.

Invisalign is a new technology for just over a decade as opposed to other procedures such as braces which have been around for very long in various forms. It takes significant amount of experience and dedication & innovation on part of the doctor and good compliance on part of the patient and if so, most cases can be treated with invisalign even the ones with bite issues. Note when doing braces elastics are used to correct bite and the same idea can be used to correct bites with invisalign (still invisibly)
I would never recommend it! My experience has been dreadful. The first few trays fit and after that I could barely talk because of their ill-fitting. Finally my dentist agreed to approach Invisalign and explain to them the situation. The result is that after numerous trips for new impressions, new photographs and 'oops, the new trays have not arrived yet', I still get perpetually promised that the new trays are on their way. Today however, I have been told that they will be despatched next week. I have now been waiting for these new trays since January. It is sold to you well, but customer care is non-existent!
I'm on tray number 12 of 28 on top and 12 of 23 on the bottom and my teeth definitely aren't matching up right now. When I try to smile its a bit crocked and when I straighten it.. it feels funny. I'm not done so I can't say it's going to be a permanent thing, but I talk a wee bit funny now without my aligners in.
I've had my impressions done and have seen the computer animated version of how my teeth will be moving, but I haven't actually started or commited any $$ yet. I'm wondering has anyone had trouble with their bite not "matching up" afterward?
Invisalign does adress bite. You can get 'hooks' on the backs of your trays which can attach rubberbands - which work exactly the same as the rubber bands on metal braces do. Too bad your ortho wasn't trained well enough!
i live my invisalign. im on my 23rd week, and when i compare my current aligner to my first one i can definitly see improvement. i dont have any major dental issues - just some crooked teeth and a minor overbite. i like how almost no one notices i have something straightening my teeth. its easy and not hard to clean. if it can work for you, i definitely recommend it,
I felt my orthodontist, though regarded the best in AZ, may have overestimated the potential of Invisalign to completely close my gap. I paid $6700, 25 upper, 20 lower over the course of 1 year. Now that I've finished my treatment, my surrounding teeth are, indeed, in better position. My overall bite seems acceptable, overbite was reduced somewhat, and the spacing between my teeth was significantly reduced. However, it seems spacing was best starting from my molars (back of my mouth) toward the front; thus, leaving a hole instead of a full gap as before between my 2 front teeth. Technically, he could argue the gap closed because the bottom 1/4 of my two front teeth touch; however, I was told my gap would close completely, which is has not. In hindsight, I would have rather spent nearly 7k and 12 months on braces if they would have worked the first time. Overall, obtain a written statement from your orthodontist and communicate up until the end to ensure he's on the same page. Otherwise, you might be disappointed with the results. Please note, I cannot overstate the aesthetic value of having "clear braces" over a year. No one, and I mean no one, could tell I had them on unless I mentioned it. It may be the right solution for you depending on your occupation or personal preference. 8/10 stars
I have had invisalign for about 1 year. I am pretty happy with the results so far. I had a slight delay in my progress because my dentist passed away during the process and I had to be passed to another orthodontist. Right now I am on my second set which should finish things off. I found them very easy to get used to and would recommend it to someone whos serious about it. I had a pretty large gap in my front teeth and smaller space problems on by bottom teeth. I was so happy with the quick results that I saw and the comments that I got! You have to be diligent in the process and keep them in for the recommended time each day or it will take longer. I am 49, so I was totally committed from the beginning!
My 17 year old daughter got invisalign last month and is not wearing them faithfully. I think it's because they're harder to take out and put in when she takes them out to eat meals or snacks. Plus, she says they make her talk strangely. Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on this? They cost a fortune. We need to resolve this issue. Thanks
Hi, im 18.. I got my invisalign about 8 weeks ago. It was hard for me to talk at first because the tray would bump against each other (top and bottom) and that would make me talk a little funny. Some words wouldn't come out right, but after maybe 2 or 3 days into a new set the way you talk gets better gradually because the teeth or getting straighter to fit the aligner so it fits better which causes them to bum up against each other less. Now that its been 8 weeks I can say that I talk pretty good now.. its not exactly the same, but its not a reason to not wear the aligners and delay the treatment. Theres really nothing you can do about it. also after 2-4 days they should beable to pop in and out easily. It just sounds like she isn't serious about straightening her teeth. Invisalign takes maturity and dedication and seems like she should of just gotten regular braces (which hurt 10 times more with oodles of discomfort). Tell her you didn't spend that much money for no reason. I paid $6500 and that was hard to let go for me and my mom lol. But she knew I was serious about it and trusted me with keeping up my part.
You tell her to put them in. Does she want a crappy smile? She'll have to get over it.
If she's not going to commit to wearing them for the approximately 22 hours per day, don't bother having the treatment. It's similar to training for a marathon or studying all semester; if you skimp on the process, you won't get results in the end, and it'll be a waste of time and money.

I don't think that is a fair critisism of Invisaling. It is a critisism of you dentist if he said the product could work in your paricular case and it didn't.

Invisaligns actually do address bites...its the orthodontist that doesn't. There are a few ways they deal with over/under bites and such. One way is they attach rubber bands to attachments which pulls the jaw into the direction it needs to... ...and another way is (what im getting done) having traditional braces stuck to the back few teeth with a spring which pulls the jaw into place. So yea...dont blame the braces...blame the person who put them on your teeth!
Did he use attachments? Because my ortho is using attachments including clear plastic bands to fix my overbite which is considered a deep overbite. He has successfully treated many patients with cases worse than mine. If you go to invisalign's site he has 2 stars.
Hey, I am looking at the cost of your treatment and I's comparing it to mine. My treatment costs $6500 and I already paid $3000 for them. So, I am assuming that the condition my teeth are in is far worse than yours. I would like to know, what orthodontist you went to and was he/she on the invisalign website? The orthodontist I chose got 2 stars, which I heard means that he did more than 100 treatments with invisalign and said that I was a good candidate for them. I'm extremely nervous about the way my teeth will turn out! Did your ortho have stars?
Hey, thank you for the useful warning. Would you mind sharing what kind of bite problems Invisalign can't fix?.. I have mostly misaligned and crooked teeth, but a bit of a biting problem, too -- I think it's not sever, but I do not really know how to judge it. I'm considering starting the treatment now, but I can only afford it if the results are really noticeable! If it's just about a small improvement, I'll find another way to use this money that would make me happy :-)
Who was your NY ortho so I don't mistakenly go to them. Thanks!