Excellent Results-Fraxel Repair in San Diego

I can agree totally with Stephanie’s opinion...

I can agree totally with Stephanie’s opinion on this wonderful laser treatment. My name is Ashley and I live in Huntington Beach, California it was no brainer what office I was going to go to. I chose my doctor based on his CV on his website and his reputation. I researched this office after seeing him in a magazine interview. I called and set up my consult and the office sent me a bunch of helpful literature to read before my appointment. The office is located in Scripps campus in La Jolla. The office is very nice and has a real comfortable, home-like feel. The nurse took me to the exam room and was very helpful and put me at ease. The doc came in the room and we talked and he was a great listener and I felt that he really cared about me and my concerns. He answered all my questions and showed me before and after photos of patients that the had personally treated. I had been on 2 other consults and this one far exceeded the others. In my prior consults, one place had the nurse doing the treatment (no way was I going for that) and on both of these previous consults, they only showed me before and after photos from the laser company. They had none of their own!

On the day of the treatment, I got to the office about 1 hour before my treatment time and the staff took photos and applied a strong numbing cream. While the numbing cream was kicking in, I watched TV in a private suite. The doctor came in a said hi and answered a few last minute questions. After that, the nurses gave me a valium and some demerol to help relax and relieve pain. Once in the laser room, the doctor did some nerve blocks to further numb my face. I couldn't even feel them because of the numbing cream. Honestly I did not feel or remember the treatment at all! I was so comfy during the treatment that the nurse and doctor joked with me afterwards that I was snoring.

I had zero pain. I literally slept during the procedure they really kept me super comfortable. His nursing staff is top notch. They hold hands and just are so caring. I obviously was unable to drive home under medications so I brought one of my girlfriends with me.

I looked pretty beat up that day. The doctor called my the night of my treatment to see how I was doing. I was very impressed with this level of care. I did everything the doctor and his staff told me to do. I did vinegar soaks and applied an ointment they gave me. I slept with an extra pillow for a few nights…all and all I felt pretty good. By day three in the pm I felt like I turned the corner of being swollen. I did go back the day after the nurses helped me do a few soaks and the doc looked at me and said I looked great. I thought really????Then he showed me several pictures of his wife as she was healing and that really helped to reassure me.

I do have to say my face looks amazing! My skin is perfect. My eyes are open wider and the wrinkles and brown spots are gone. I feel terrific. I am 36 years old and look like I am in my twenties now. I had the best experience and I would not go anywhere else for this. Be sure to do your research and don't let anyone but a dermatologist touch your skin with this laser. I honestly am so happy with my result and am looking forward to he holidays to make my friends jealous!!!!!

San Diego Dermatologist

Board certified dermatologist that specializes in laser surgery. great care and results. Expert in field and worth it!

percentage wise - what is the improvement? 50%? OR MORE?? THANK YOU!
Hi Smashley, how are things now. Have the results remained or even improved? I read on this site that for some people the positive effects had started to reverse some 6 month into the procedure. Hope you are well.
Smashley, Well said. I agree. Im gonna wait until spring to do fraxel repair as I want to see some 6 -9 month results. Good luck.
Smashly, Just want to say I hear where you're coming from...however, I guess its a different experience for everyone. I think I'll go for a consult w/ your physicianin La Jolla next month. Maybe the price will go down. Yeah right?? How are you looking now? Do you see a huge difference or is it subtle? I think you said you are in your 30's so perhaps its easier when one is younger in age. Happy Holidays
Hi Chardy--the mottled discoloration I had before is gone and my lines are much improved...texture too. I am very pleased and found this to be worthwhile. Please update me on ur experience. Remember that people that have bad experiences are much more vocal and motivated.....and the ones that have a good experience are much less likely to blog at all. Happy Holidays and keep us all in the loop!
CC, Thanks for the explanation. I wish you didnt have to experience so much discomfort & pain. I dont understand what your doctor was thinking, I would have made a scene and screamed for more pain meds. I will make sure to tell whatever doctor I do choose that I want lots of pain/anxiety/tranq meds plus the shots. I dont want to feel anything, just high!! So, how is the healing going... are you seeing improvements?
Do all physicians use separate anesthesiologists for fraxel repair? I was under the impression the doctor/ in-house nurse gives the pain meds, numbing cream & nerve blocks prior to the procedure. I'm confused??? Anyone know the answer?
Chardy, do they and should they are two different questions. It depends on the standards of the doctor. I was under twilight sedation (in a surgery center) for my procedure. My breathing was monitored for that, and while I was in the recovery room the alarm went of several times because my breathing got too shallow -- even though I was awake. The nurses told me that they sometimes have to tell people to breathe in the surgery room because patients will instinctively hold their breath from the pain, even when not consciously feeling all of it. Your body reacts to massive nerve stimulation whether you know about it or not. My doctor told me that if I had been fully sedated for this procedure, I would have been on a respirator, intubated. I assume that an anesthetist is required for sedation in a surgery center. Pretty scary to think that it could be otherwise. I find it shocking that doctors do such an invasive, infection-vulnerable procedure as Fraxel Re:Pair in-office. As for using valium, that is a muscle relaxant and anxiety reducer. It is not intended for full sedation. I question the judgement of a doctor who would knock out a patient with oral medication (with the danger of vomit aspiration that brings), and then do a procedure that causes repeated traumatic injury to the largest organ in the body. But to not monitor pulse and breathing... I have been fully sedated in a dentist's office, by way of an IV drip, and even in that setting I was hooked up to a monitor for my breathing and heart rate.
You breathing slows because the medication causes your breathing to slow therefore causing your oxygen levels to drop therefore causing the machine to beep. Im sorry but I have had people who have sawed their hands off and had just fine oxygenation. So I believe that if that statement were true everyone I had in pain would have beeping machines, now when I give them an opiate I may have to put them on a few liters o2 to give them an extra boost.
Ah, and an explanation of your "anesthesia" would be nice, Smashley.
Yes, email me. The doctor in La Jolla is listed at the top of my review. I forgot to mention that I had my face neck and chest done so that adds to the cost. Doing great and love the results! Thanks for asking.
Hi smashley, thanks for the timely response. Can I contact you privately via email as I want to make sure the facility & physician you saw is the same individual I am considering. Who were the other two consults with? Anyone in the Irvine or LA area? Most important how are you doing? Please get back to me. Chardy from Westwood
Hi Chardy--I have a friend in San Diego that had a breast enlargement done at the same office and had a very good experience. I checked out the website and this was my 3rd consult for Fraxel repair. The doctor (cos. derm) had great bedside manner and had done the procedure on his own wife and also on the nurse that helped me in the office. I saw a bunch of before and after pix of his own patients. The prior consults I had been on had only pix from Fraxel company or had a nurse doing the procedure. Well worth the travel. The costs that I have seen in SoCal ranged from $4500-6500. Hope this helps and good luck!
I agree....but if you are being 100% truthfull I will make an appt for a consultation. Was the physician a cos. derm or FPS. This was in La Jolla, correct? Did you consider any other physicians for the Fraxel Repair proceedure closer to where you live in HB? I am in LA & concerned about the driving distance from la Jolla to LA? How come the cost was substantially more? thanks & good luck!
Smashley I didn't mean to offend you. I am glad you had a good experience and good results but your write up does sound like an advertisement.
On the "commercial" comment -- I had the same impression on first reading. ( Just being honest.) At first blush, it seems a valid point that before and after photos of clients should be shown by the doctor. But anyone who gives permission for the photos to be used probably got a deal on the procedure, or they 're employees, or the guy's wife, or...well. I mean, I would never allow my doctor to use my photo, so I wonder who would. There is something I don't understand here. You say you fell asleep during the procedure, but you were not "formally" under full anesthesia? That makes no sense. If you were under, you should have been monitored by an anesthesiologist, and put on a respirator. I have my doubts about this review.
Well, Crookedteeth...after reading your review, no wonder u are bent. You had a bad experience and ass-ume everyone else should. maybe you should have researched your doctor more thoroughly. You dont even mention who did ur procedure in ur review. I saw dozens of before and afters and have offered mine for use....and didn't ask or had been offered a discount. Judging by your price, maybe u were bargain shopping? Like they say, you get what u pay for.
You've just said enough about yourself to answer all of my questions about your "review". Thanks for the confirmation. (As for my own review, I didn't name my doctor because I wasn't writing a glowing marketing piece, but a real, full-detailed account of what a patient experiences with Fraxel Repair. That's what this site is for. I believe that the excessive pain I experienced was due to an error by the anesthetist, not my doctor, who is a well-respected plastic surgeon. As for price, that's the going rate here, sweetums. If I were shallow enough to want to shop a more expensive area, I could go to a nearby city and pay quite a bit more for the frisson and bragging rights of having been zapped by a celebrity-doc, but I'm much, much smarter than that.)
Crookedteeth--Your excuse for not including your doctor's name helps noone. At least half the reviews, including good and bad, include the doctor's name. Do you not care if someone goes to your doctor and has the same bad experience u did? As for price, who cares what u payed...you had an incredibly painful treatment. I called around, went on multiple consults and found noone even close to your quoted price. Maybe you were one of the first he treated? How do you know? My doc numbed me with topical cream for 1 hour, then injected novacane into my cheeks, eyelids, and did nerve blocks. I didn;t feel this because of the cream had numbed my skin. About 30 minutes or so before the procedure, a nurse gave me a shot of demerol and vistaral in the butt. I also was given valium. I dont drink any alcohol and have never done any drugs so it really affected me. No, I didn;t have any pain, I dont care what u say, I know what my experience was and I don't know why you think you know better. Maybe you should read all the posts, because there are more positive than negative and others have had little to no pain as well. Cant I be happy about a positive experience without you raining on my parade?
Ashley Strong (aka Smashley) works in this doctors office.
EllieC--not sure what you mean. This is blog that is meant to help others and share experiences, both good and bad. I had a great experience and I am very happy with the process that I went thru. I think the outcome, either good or bad, is directly related to the physician and the facility where any procedure is performed. Best of luck in your endeavors!
Is this a commercial?
Ashley Strong (aka "Smashley" ) is an employee of this doctor.