Taking a Lot More Sessions Than I'd Anticipated or Budgeted For! - Esher, GB

I had a new tattoo done in 2011 which I instantly...

I had a new tattoo done in 2011 which I instantly regretted - it was a huge forget me not on my stomach in bright blue with some white/yellow and white in it. I also had a very old tattoo that I had done in 1997 which is all dark blue. I'd already had laser treatment x 2 sessions on the one on my back. Also, I'd had a small butterfly which had had x2 laser treatments about 4 years ago and foolishly I had the forget me not tattooed over the top !! I am having treatment at MediSpa in Esher Surrey. I started in September about 3 weeks post C Section as I am desperate to have them gone before the Summer starts. The one on my stomach has really faded and after each treatment is blisters up a lot. It is so itchy and sore/tender but that is because we are using a high setting. It literally feels like my skin is burnt off. I apply Emla Cream (can't remember if that's correct spelling!) which numbs the area. I apply this in a thick layer before treatment (about 30 mins) and It seriously helps. The stomach is not so painful but at the bottom of my back on spine it is beyond tolerable. I have to stuff a pillow in my mouth - talk about Chinese torture ! Fortunately it is all over very quickly and we use the cooling air (a must!) which takes the edge off it (marginally). I wish I had some photos to show you after 1st/2nd/3rd treatment but unfortunately I only just thought of taking some! In actual fact, I wish I'd had all my treatments on the highest setting as it's only since the highest setting has been used I've had the blisters. In my opinion the more you blister the better the results. I don't blister at all on my back and whilst it is fading it is very visible and considering I've had 4 treatments. I'm going to speak to my therapist at my next appointment about agreeing a set price now for subsequent treatments as this is costing me a fortune! I actually wonder if I'd stuck to the cheaper laser method on my back whether it would have been as effective. I do recommend Picosure for new tattoos as I certainly have seen results on my stomach but I'm concerned it'll take a lot longer and cost a lot more than I was originally led to believe (we're talking 3 treatments and all gone!) I'm also worried about being left with scars. take a look at these pics and see what you think !!!

1 Week After Treatment 5

These photos were taken just over a week after my fifth Picosure Treatment. I wish I had before photos but I don't, however you can see some further fading, and I know as the weeks go by there will be even more fading. They both look quite raised and red/scabby but I'll send some further updates in 4 weeks time. I'm still regretting starting this whole process as I honestly can't imagine the tattoos ever completely gone (especially the one on my back!) The one on my back doesn't bother me so much so I could just stop the treatments and focus on the revolting flower on my stomach !! I too have Edita at Trueskin in Esher who is lovely - she is very pleased with the progress and always really encouraging. I was so disappointed with the fading that they agreed to give me my last treatment for free which was really kind of them. It's taking a lot longer than I ever imagined and I'm off to France next week but will be in a swim suit as cannot expose them to the sun. Infact I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to wear a bikini again! I'll save up for the next treatments which I thinking I'll do after the Summer months but will see how much fading I get this time around.

PAIN

I can honestly say picosure is the most painful experience of my life!!! I use Elma cream first to try and numb the area and also have the cooling air. The one on my back is far more painful than the one on my stomach (nerve endings/bone etc). I have to shove a cotton wool pad in my mouth to bite on it's that bad and I've got a very high pain threshold. Having them put on was painfree in comparison !! That said it is over so quickly you just learn to tolerate it. I'm sure different parts of bodies dictate how painful it will be. Think of someone putting a cigarette onto your skin... !!! I read all these articles saying picosure is pain free and I'm thinking - really, have the people who wrote these actually had it!??? clearly not !

4 weeks Post 6th Picosure Treatment - really losing the will to carry on as it's just not shifting !

Esher Medispa gave me a free treatment for treatment number 6 - I feel so disheartened as STILL very visible. I am yet to actually see anyone on here post a before and after where their tattoo has completely gone using Picosure. I am sure all those images of before and after used to market Picosure are fakes. I really hope I'm proven wrong but I'm getting down about the fact I've now got two really ugly ink splodges on my tummy and lower back. I've had to buy a swimsuit to see me through the Summer, having worked so hard to get back in shape after my second son I will stay covered up. I am going to continue as what I'm left with now is worse than the original tattoos... Has anyone got a real success story - before and after where you can see genuine photos of a tattoo that has totally gone from Picosure? Cannot show pictures from my back as noone available to take them at the moment but will post soon. The front is making more progress than my back tattoo but even so neither are what I expected at this stage....

After 6 Treatments this is what I'm left with....

The pictures sum it up! I'm not happy. The fading is there but look at the hideous marks I'm left with. I have lost all faith in this method of tattoo removal. I was told when I went for the initial consultation that some tattoos lift after just 3 treatments, but more likely 5 treatments would do it. I've just had my 7th treatment and will eagerly await the results but I don't hold out much hope. I have left around 6-8 weeks between treatments and see comments about the continued fading after this time. I am determined to get rid of these things but when I asked the technician at Trueskin to show me some before and after photos of someone who had actually successfully removed their entire tattoo, I was told they couldn't show me due to data protection! I don't believe anyone has properly lifted a tattoo off their skin from Picosure. I really hope to prove myself wrong! I've heard great things about Wayne in Soho - so I'll continue the treatment process through him and see if he can work his magic on getting rid of these hideous things!!!!!

Very informative and friendly girl who treats me. I have same person each visit which helps.

I really don't think Picosure can lift a tattoo 100% and you should always be made aware that you will be left with some scarring and there are no guarantees. I feel I was not fully informed about Picosure and a lot of the before and after photos out there used for marketing purposes are FAKE! I am going to wait a couple of months, see how things look then go and see Wayne in London. I'm not sure what is worse - ugly tattoos or now faded tattoos mixed with burnt red skin!!!! I've also got some areas of skin that have gone totally white (like all the pigment has gone). I've not exposed my tattoos to the sun since I started treatment either. I'm wondering if once they've healed up whether a bit of sun will make them blend in more but have been told not to ever put them into to the sun.
hey you are making the right choice going to see wayne,,,trust me...have a break let your skin heal for at least 8 weeks...u could try a product called remescar for the redness..it helped me massively...I wish you all the best! the red skin will go away, it just takes time.
Thank you ! I'll definitely try the remescar. It does seem to be fading still, but I feel a long way to go despite the 6/7 picosure treatments...I'm going to book in with Wayne this week.
That's strange Edita didn't show you photos of other people's tattoos, she was more than happy to show me some. She hasn't got any pics of tattoos that are 100% gone but definitely 90% gone with only the need for 1 more session. I've just had my 4th picosure session and previously I had 9 sessions with the Q-switched laser. I feel your frustration!
I had a treatment with Wayne recently and he's a great guy. I think you'd do really well with him. Good luck!
Odd that they couldn't show you any pictures!! I think you're doing the right thing in going to see Wayne. Please continue to let us know how you get on and best of luck.
Hi, were you given any advice to wait a while post c-section? The pigment removal relies on immune system which would already be heavily taxed after a 9 month pregnancy and c-section so may make the process slower.
hi - I had told the technician at Trueskin in Esher that I was 3 weeks post c section (and just under 2 years prior to that I'd undergone major surgery and 6 months chemo for colon cancer). She told me it would be absolutely fine to proceed. I did question it, because I said my immune system had taken a battering but I was fit and healthy at that time (and still am).
It is very disappointimng when you put this much time and money into a pianful procedure and don't get the results you are hoping for. Hang in there! How much time are you waiting between treatments?
This last time I waited 9 weeks between treatments... Still not getting anywhere near the fading I wanted. Now I'm wondering if it's something to do with the fact I've had chemotherapy (2 years ago though). Has anyone else had Chemo, then had Picosure BUT had results? Maybe my body can't take it!!!
That's a very good question reholden77 - you can always ask a doctor on the site and see what they have to say regarding chemotherapy and laser treatment.
Hi there :) I see you go to Trueskin in Esher too! Do you know the name of the lady who treats you? I have a lady called Edita. Shes lovely. Are you on the picoplan?
Hi yes I have Edita - she is great and I know she cannot help the progress but m frustrated at the amount of money I've spent so far and not got results I wanted! U cannot fault Edit. I'm tempted to wait a couple of monthjs and try Wayne in Soho for my next treatment but then as I started with Medispa I should finish there. I never knew or was told abt Picoplan
Be careful of how long you wait b/w sessions...my 1st clinic practically begged me to come back every 8 weeks, which is "standard" I hear. However, I was also starting to develop redness/possible scarring so I decided to wait 3-4mos in b/w sessions to allow my skin to heal. This time did the trick for me- the redness subsided, I saved money and it continued to fade. We're all diff- we heal at diff paces and there are many other variables that go along w/ removal (ink depth, tatt placement, our immune systems, technician's skill w/ laser, etc) so trust yr instinct and wait longer in b/w treatments if you are concerned about scarring. If you continue to get ink lasered which is not fully healed, it's like picking a scab over and over and it will scar. Best of luck...
I definitely have what looks like red burnt skin on my back - and the back tattoo now seems to be a splodge!!
Thanks for the comments, I live in London so I will definitely try Waynes in Soho. I leave 6 weeks between treatments. I think prices should be for the individual and size, and gaged by how you react and heal! I'm wishing I hadn't started as don't see them ever going. The one on my tummy has faded a lot but is now uglier than it was to begin with! I just hope I can get rid forever with no scarring. X
You know what, though, I think that when you're told 'it'll be gone in three treatments', and then it's not, that makes you feel that they'll NEVER go. But with more sessions, as well as time and healing, I'm sure you have a good chance of getting rid of them. The other thing to bear in mind is that even though six weeks is the standard gap to leave, often fading continues for longer. Anyway, yes, do try Wayne!
Hi -- you do have some nice fading, but I hear you on the expense! I don't know if you'd find it easy to get to London, but after having two somewhat unsatisfactory treatments at Bluewater Trueskin, I'm now going to The Reset Room, which is at The Circle tattoo parlour in Soho. The Picosure technician there, a guy called Wayne, is more skilled than the Trueskin technicians in my opinion, and he also has a fairer pricing structure tailored to the individual. (At Trueskin I attempted to negotiate a reasonable price for removing my tiny tattoo, but they insisted that I pay the same as someone with a significantly bigger area to treat.)