My Lip Lift and Columella Augmentation - Encinitas, CA

Today is the first day after my surgery and...

Today is the first day after my surgery and I'm very swollen but I'm not in any pain that can't be easily managed with a couple advil. I've read other reviews where people talk about numbness and an inability to move their mouths naturally weeks after surgery, and I can honestly say that that's not an issue for me at all, even one day out.

Dr. L did more than just a lift on me, he also used the extra tissue that he excised and filled my columella because it was flat. This will help to create more fullness in the space between my lip and nose, because it was flat before. He spent at least an hour going over my concerns. Not only that, but he also performed this procedure on his wife, who is very beautiful. He does a lot of these, and this is the type of procedure that you MUST get an experienced dr to do.

I will keep updating this as I heal, but even through the swelling I can see that I am going to have exactly what I wanted out of this procedure. The most incredible thing is that I was expecting to have a lot of pain and limited movement but he was very gentle during surgery and I know that I'm not going to be recovering from the swelling for several weeks like most patients do after this procedure. I have nothing but great things to say about Dr. L and his staff, and I have very high hopes for the success of this procedure.

I will continue updating this with pictures.

Hi there, It's been 6 days since my surgery,...

Hi there, It's been 6 days since my surgery, and I get my stitches out tomorrow. Btw, I had the option of dissolvable stitches but Dr. L felt that permanent sutures heal better and with less scars. Between the sutures it looks like my scar is healing very flat. I'd had a scar from a rhinoplasty before and it looks like he actually improved that scar. As soon as I get the stitches out tomorrow I think I'm going to feel comfortable going outside and in public without looking done. I have almost no swelling at this point. There is a little bit of swelling that slightly restricts my smile but it isn't too bad. Yesterday I have to admit that I was having a down day. I felt like I looked deformed and I was never going to look better. So, if you're going through this procedure don't worry, that is totally normal.

By the way, the first picture below, let me...

By the way, the first picture below, let me explain what it is you're looking at. The top left picture is me smiling. The top right picture is 3 days after the procedure. The bottom picture is today, at 6 days after the procedure. I still have stitches in so it looks gritty beneath my nose, but when I get them out tomorrow I will post again. :)

I HAVE DENTAL SHOW!!!!!! I didn't think I...

I HAVE DENTAL SHOW!!!!!! I didn't think I would have any, but I definitely do. I asked Dr. L if the top lip would drop as swelling subsided, but he said that it would actually probably lift up further and reveal more of my teeth. Yayyy!!! I got my stitches out today, and I'm a little bit red at the base of the nose, plus I slept lying down for the first time since surgery last night instead of halfway inclined, so I am looking a little puffy today. I slept on my side and it's funny, the side I slept on is much more puffy. I went in public today for my first time, and I was a bit uncomfortable, but it wasn't too bad. The pictures posted today are my before on the left, and 7 days after on the right, with my mouth slightly open. Prior to surgery I had NO dental show. As you can see the swelling on one side is more pronounced than the other side because I slept lying down, on one side. I feel that makes a huge difference, so keep that in mind for future facial surgeries.

One month after surgery and my scar is totally...

One month after surgery and my scar is totally flat, but a little bit red. I picked at one corner (bad girl!!) and that side is a little more red than the other side which is nearly invisible already. Plus I got a pimple right there, so it doesn't look too great today. I will post pics at 3 months. I have no doubt that the scar will be just about perfect by then. At this point it's not very noticeable without makeup and a touch of concealer covers it perfectly. I was concerned that I wouldn't have tooth show at first, but actually, as the swelling has continued to go down I can see quite a bit of my top teeth when my mouth is parted. A long time ago (19 years old) I (stupidly) had silicone injected into my upper and lower lip. I had kenalog to minimize this problem as well as surgery 2x to remove that nasty stuff. A lot of the silicone migrated to the white portion of my lip, which makes my bottom lip look unnaturally full at the white portion. Raising my top lip improved balance and the overall appearance of my mouth and face as a whole.

It has been 8 months since my last check in on my...

It has been 8 months since my last check in on my lip lift. I still am beyond thrilled with the results. It's funny how such a little thing can make such a big difference. I am completely healed now, and all of the swelling has gone down. The scar is invisible. It is the faintest tiny line that looks like a little light colored hair under my nose, but no one would notice it even if they were looking right at it. It covers very easily with makeup if I choose to wear makeup that day, but usually I just walk out of the house with sunscreen because no one would be able to see that scar. Dr Laverson is a great doctor. Not only is he talented, but he is ethical. He has been hesitant to perform other procedures on me, stating that I was beautiful as I was. This really struck me. He is not just about making money, he really cares and wants you to have a great outcome. I will come back to Dr. Laverson for any other work I need in the future.
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Dr. personally called me the day of and the day after my surgery to make sure I was okay. I could tell he genuinely cared about the outcome and my comfort and happiness.

How is everything ? How is ur scar now,?
Did it hurt ? How was your surgery done?
can i ask how many mls u removed ???
wonderfull result sister :) happy 4 you
Im curious, do you still have dental show? I just had a revision lip lift and had no dental show the first time but this time I do after 3 days. I'm hoping it stays!

Love your results! I'm considering getting this done, but the couple PS's I've seen say "You're not there yet" and it's usually done on older ladies. I'm 43 and think I have a lot of space between my upper lip and nose.

You look great!

Hot to Trot...congrats and Thanks for the update. You look Great!
You look amazing. Thank you so much for continuing to update your progress.

I think this procedure can have a major, positive impact on a person's life. I have never liked my upper lip, especially following my nose job (which I love), and have felt is makes my face appear masculine. Once I have the funds, I am planning on getting this done, special thanks to people like you on Real Self for sharing your experience and amazing results.
Hey! I am two weeks post-op. I just posted my pics! Go check it out and let me know what you think;)))
Thanks for sharing! Even with swelling I can see the results are nice and even.
Keep us posted :)
Thanks for the update! It looks great! My surgery is Monday and getting a little nervous.
Good luck. Have soft foods ready and visualize success :)
How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in a while! Are you still on the ice cream diet or did you graduate to solid foods? Hope all is well!
Everything except my hips, thighs and butt. I've been through a lot though. I've earned that ice cream, lol.
Thanks for the new pic! Hang in there it's a long recovery from what I have been told! Icecream makes everything better!;))))LOL!
Thanks, I can't wait for all of the swelling to go down!! I'm getting antsy now. Lol. Some days are better than others and today was kind of a puffy day. Um, it could be because I ate a gallon of ice cream over the past two days. I'm sure all that sugar is great for my healing and swelling...lol. Urgh.
Yes, you look like you are healing nicely! Post more pics once the swelling goes down!

Hi Sd2lv,

Great to see you wrote a review and with pictures, gold star for you :) Your lips look great and your review provided a lot of info. Can't wait to see when it is all healed. Yes please do keep us updated!

Thanks so much!

-Britt

He just cut the skin. In my case I didn't need much distance removed. I only had about 5 or 6mm taken out. I may go back for an internal lip lift to pull my top lip up, as the main reason for this procedure was to improve dental show, but as of yet the improvement is minimal. I'd really like to see my top teeth when my mouth is slightly open. How much skin are u looking to have removed?
can't wait to see new pics! Thinking of having this done. Did he cut the muscle or just skin?
Happy to hear all is going well with your recovery. Thank you for sharing your photos. Did you take any herbs or supplements to help with swelling prior to your surgery? Was muscle hemming done or tissue excising only? Interesting about use of extra tissue. Would love to see closeup of scar and side view. Thanks again...Happy healing!
Only tissue was excised. I had quite a bit of swellling in the first few days, but it went away quickly. During the surgery I could feel how gentle my doctor was. There was no crazy pulling...that has quite a bit to do with how post surgery swelling goes in my personal experience. He used the extra tissue to augment my columella and thus lifted my droopy nasal tip. It looks SOOO cute!! It was a very subtle procedure. No one knows what I had done, they just keep saying, "Wow, you look great...I can't put my finger on it. You look happier and younger." I'm very pleased.
Good luck! I will upload them in a few hours. Let me know how it goes. On the right person and with the right doctor this can be such a great procedure. My fingers are crossed for you!
I'm glad your having a good experience so far! Gives me hope!! I'm doing mine the end of August. I have been keeping up with another review that has had a hard time with recovery. Fingers crossed I'm like you!:)Send pics soon!;)))