So Worth It - Elyria, OH

I am 5' 7 1/2" and weigh 150 pounds. I...

I am 5' 7 1/2" and weigh 150 pounds. I had Smartlipo yesterday on my flanks, outer and inner thighs. I was nervous going into the surgical center but once I got there I was treated so well I almost calmed down :)

The surgery took over 6 hours. We took a break after about 4 hours or so and I walked around, had a snack and a drink and we went back to finish up. I truly enjoyed the banter between the doctor and the nurses. It was relaxing to hear how comfortable they were with each other. My doctor was very concerned for my comfort and would check on me periodically. I was able to take my phone in and I texted girl friends to update them on the procedure. It was a unique experience.

I was given Percocet for pain but have not needed it at all. I am finding Tylenol is working well for me.

Today I was able to drive myself to the follow up and was fitted with a compression garment. This thing is not fun to put on. I still have one incision that is seeping so I have to remove the garment to change bandages and then fight with it to put the garment on again.

My doctor and his nurse were very pleased with the results after one day. I go back next Thursday and will report more then. So far, I am happy. I know it will take a few weeks to see any results but I am glad I did this.

I think my doctor is wonderful as well as his nurse. I just love her. She is down to earth and very understanding. My doctor is very kind and patient. He explained the procedure and was very encouraging during the surgery. I know I made the right decision in choosing him.

Today is day 6 post op and I feel great. I am...

Today is day 6 post op and I feel great. I am still wearing the compression garment which, even though it is somewhat difficult to remove, really makes a difference.

The swelling feels a lot less today. I have some bruising still but I think they look pretty good. I have some numbness and every once in a while I little painless shock in my back. I believe that is the nerves healing.

I wore my "skinny" jeans yesterday over my garment and had room in the thighs of the jeans so that is just beyond exciting to me! I know that over the next few weeks I will see even more changes and I cannot wait!

I cannot say enough wonderful things about my doctor or his nurse. They are very special people who really care about your well being. Donna called two after the surgery because she knew I was teaching that day - all day - just to check on me and remind me to take it easy. It really touched me that she was concerned enough to call.

I did not take any before pictures but I will check with my doctor to see if I can get copies to add here.

I think the most difficult thing for me has been not lifting my 3 year old daughter. I am hoping that restriction will be lifted when I see my doctor on Thursday. I am also hoping to get the go-ahead for exercise.

I have had some people comment that they cannot see a change or barely see a change and I say to them "It hasn't even been a week!" I remind them that this is a surgery and, as with any surgery, there will be swelling and bruising (and some pain). It is unrealistic to expect dramatic changes in such a short period of time when your body has not had time to heal. At the same time, it is exciting to start noticing the subtle changes and know that more changes will come in the coming weeks!

Today is Tuesday May 3. I went to my doctor last...

Today is Tuesday May 3. I went to my doctor last Thursday and had my stitches removed (I had one stitch in a few of the incisions) by Donna, Dr. Poblete's nurse. She is so encouraging and positive! Anyway, she said my back looked great! She said it was amazing how well my back was healing! I was so grateful to hear that.

Donna then handed me a package from Dr. Poblete. It was a box of Malley's Chocolate and a box of Malley's Buckeyes! It brought tears to my eyes that he remembered my comments about Malley's Chocolates. During surgery, I asked if there was a Malley's around because I needed to pick up some chocolates for my mom. The whole surgical team gave me directions and comments on the chocolates. I never made it to Malley's so it was a surprise and a blessing to receive those gifts from my doctor!

With regard to my surgery, I am on exercise and lifting restriction until I go back May 13. I can walk and I am using my treadmill for that since it has done nothing but rain here for days. I am excited about the changes I am seeing. Now those people who were negative in the beginning are starting to see the changes too!

I am so glad I did this. Having a support person like my husband and finding the right doctor with whom you have confidence and support really makes the difference. I am having a tummy tuck and breast augmentation on May 24th and will blog about that in the Mommy Makeover section.

I want to thank all the other ladies who write about their surgeries on this website. This is a very personal decision/experience. Having the benefit of reading others' experiences really helps to prepare you for your own surgery on all levels - physically, emotionally, and psychologically. I appreciate that very much.
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

He makes sure you understand the procedure. During the first consultation, he was very honest with me about my body type and the results I could expect. His staff makes you comfortable and makes you the priority. The follow up care I have received is nothing less than superior. I have received calls from both Dr. Poblete and his staff.

I'm going in to have the inner/outer thighs done on 6/25 (had the upper/lower abs/flanks done on 5/13). You don't sound like you had much pain after your thighs were done. I have a pretty high pain tolerance - do you think I would be OK to do a long weekend away for 4th of July or should I plan on just laying around? I could have done it just fine after my stomach but some posters seem to feel the thighs were worse...
Dear Robinette,

I had no pain with my thighs after the surgery. I never took any pain medicine except for Tylenol the following day or two.

The next day I took it easy because my husband was home but the following day I was up teaching class. I was on my feet from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. that night!

I think you will be just fine. With a high pain tolerance you will have smooth sailing. Just remember you will have a compression garment so take a few sundresses to stay cool.

Good luck on your surgery! And, have fun on your weekend get away!

P.S. Please keep me updated on your surgery!
Thanks for the quick reply! It's good to know that it wasn't too bad. I didn't take pain meds for my abdomen area either (just ibuprofin the first day), so I feel better that you didn't need a lot with your thighs. I'll keep you posted :)

Congrats on your surgery, ohiomom! How are you feeling today?

I feel great! Thanks for asking. I updated my first post. I am hoping to get some before pictures from my doctor and will add the before and after pictures.

I am very glad I found this community. I have found some very useful information! Thanks!

So glad to hear you're doing well and thanks for the update. Hooray for "skinny jeans"! Mine are still in storage. ;)

Looking forward to seeing your pics.