Don't Get Veneers the Dentists Just Want Your Money and Will Ruin Your Teeth to Get It - New Zealand

My two upper incisors were a little of colour and...

My two upper incisors were a little of colour and my dentist talked me into getting veneers which looked great for about 3 months before they started discolouring to an almost brown colour. The dentist blamed it on what I ate and drank so I took him to court and was awarded a refund. My teeth are still ruined. What sort of people are dentists? why are they allowed to lie and destroy people teeth. Stay away from them unless you have pain and be wary of there sales pitches while having that addressed

A butcher and a thief

I notice that the comments where people spent less than average cost for veneers were the ones that vote for a poor experience. You get what you pay for, especially with Dental care.
Steve, I would like to do the same, but cannot afford a lawyer. I did a full mouth...I'm screwed forever! TEETH SENSITIVITY, COLOR DISCOLORATION AND SPACING. HELP!!!111
I also think your comments are patronising and rude. Only one dentist I have seen out of four admitted to me veneers stain and have to be redone the rest said the materials have improved but ask them to sign a 10 year garantee and they give you a patronising lecture how they can't garantee it because they are dealing with biological material. The scarey thing is they have unsupervised access to young peoples teeth in this country with the government footing the bill. By the time they leave high school they have a mouth full of unnessary fillings like the ones that were put into my front teeth at 15 yrs old. Their work also needs ongoing maintenance providing the profession with an ongoing cash stream. Has there been any independent studies on dentistry? I would have been better off never seeing one ever I have no doubt alot of the positive feedback on this site is fake. People don't normally make the effort to compliment.
I agree with you. Dentistry has no accountability at all; if things go wrong, they generally don't care. Heartless profession.

Personally, I think they have a lot of people holding them accountable, their patients, the insurance companies, and the state boards to start with. I'm sure there are some "heartless" dentists out there with money as their only motivator, but there are tons more who truly care about their patients and do everything they can to provide them with the best care. Look at the Worth It Ratings overall for all of the dental topics, the only ones that are below the 50% mark are specific to a brand so obviously that isn't reflective of the dentistry community at large. Dental Crown has a 92% Worth It Rating, Dental Bonding has a 90% Worth It Rating which are arguably some of the more "general dentistry" topics we cover being that we are focused on cosmetics. Those high ratings lead me to believe that there are many people who have found good and caring doctors to perform care for them. If you have had the misfortune of having negative experiences with dentists please take the time to do a lot of research to find yourself a great dentist so  you can experience the more positive side of dentistry. I guarantee you, it does exist.

Your response to my comment regarding heartless dentists is patronizing and condescending. I don't know who you are, but I can assure you that I have done my "research". I am a teacher, I have a masters degree. I am not aware of what level of education you have achieved, but assuming that I've been negligent in obtaining the best dentistry possible is rather presumptuous. The sad reality is, you would be hard pressed to find a single person who does not have a dental horror story. If any other profession had the failure rates of the dental industry, or functioned in a consistently self-serving manner, there would be an national outcry. I have spent thousands of dollars on root canals that have failed - that were performed by endodontists who teach at universities. In every single case, the response was, "It happens. Too bad." If a mechanic fixes your car and it breaks down a week later, they are legally bound to rectify the matter. This is how it is in nearly every service, profession, or industry. But not dentistry. You write that patients hold dentist "accountable." How? Can a person demand a dentist re-do a procedure or issue a refund? No, they cannot. All a patient can do is find a new dentist to give their money to. You mention "state boards." You mean the colleges of dental surgeons who function primarily to protect their own colleagues from litigation? "Insurance companies"? How do you suppose that insurance companies hold dentists accountable? Their most salient concern is billing: they do not want to pay for services unrendered. Whether or not someone is unhappy with their dentist has absolutely no connection to the insurance industry whatsoever. Is it your job to censor people's comments on this site? If so, I will deactivate my account right now. I did not come to these conclusions about dentists easily; they are the result of one heart-breaking, costly experience after another. I don't need a lecture from you, or anyone, regarding my opinion of dentists.

I'm very sorry if what I said came across that way. It certainly wasn't my intention. I had previously read another comment you posted where you mentioned some pretty negative experiences with dentistry. It was my intention to encourage you and share with you some information that highlights the positive side of dentistry. I'm really sorry that I offended you, and also very sorry to hear about you negative experiences.

Just to let you know I am a registered health proffessional with a degree
Please have one of your colleagues refer you to someone. Are you using specific dentists because of your insurance plan? It's difficult sometimes to find a good dentist and I hope someone who can help you.
They do now offer stain resistant veneers. I had a dental horror story in an awful dentist causing damage to make more $ in the end she is under investigation by the state licensing board for multiple complaints of the same nature. I found a great cosmetic dentist who did 10 veneers/crowns on top to correct the damage. I think that there are good and bad dentists the same as their are good and bad doctors, nurses.