IPL Gone Bad! - Elkton, MD

On Nov. 13 I went into Oleigh Medspa for an IPL...

On Nov. 13 I went into Oleigh Medspa for an IPL treatment for a few brown spots on my arms. The registered nurse who performed the treatment assured me that she had done it before and knew what she was doing. During the treatment I felt discomfort, which she said was normal. A day after my treatment my whole arm (both) were covered in these rail road like burns (from elbow to wrist) in a zig-zag pattern. I called the office they told me that I needed to apply medicated cream to help with the burns. I did so, and then I noticed blisters. After the blisters popped and the fluid drained, I was left with open sores all over my arms. The MedSpa then told me that I needed to use Vita. E oil. I did so, and had an allergic reaction. I am not left with scarred arms and only went to have a FEW spots done!!! I am extremely unhappy and went to see the doctor that runs the facility yesterday only to be looked at like I was crazy and told that this was normal. It is not normal. My arms should have not be done in zig-zag lines but in spots. I am now faced with months of long sleeves to cover my arms so I do not have any further damage done to my skin. I understand that the procedure is considered plastic surgery but I do not agree with the doctor telling me it is a "normal side effect". Any one else have this issue? If so what did you do? The doctor I am dealing with is aggrogant and unprofessional. He is not help and did not offer anything in return for this obvious mistake on his staff's behalf. I had to demand my money back... and after doing so they acted as if I was in the wrong. Has anyone ever used anything to help scarring? The picture posted is recent (as of yesterday).... HELP!

No, it's not normal. These places only say that to cover their butts... Get some biafine cream if you can. I've heard it is a great help with burned skin.
That is exactly what happened on my arms. Look like someone took a long hot skinny pole and burned my arms. I have hypo and hyper pigmentation, also divots were the burn lines were. Yes stay out of the sun. Stay away from harsh chemicals. Do not let them talk into further treatment. I am using botanical based products that help with pigmentation using plant based products. I use Arbonne just because my neice was selling it but use whatever you want. You can find others at health food store. Good Luck with your healing and do not continue with anymore treatments. I am sorry this has happened to you. You can read more stories under IPL, Fraxel, and skin resurfacing. You are not alone.

I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. If you are open to it, it might be a good idea to go to a board certified dermatologists office to get looked at and have them tell you the best way to care for your arms from here on.

Here are some Q&A's that might be helpful as well:

What to Do About IPL Burn?

How Should I Handle Hyperpigmentation from IPL Burns?

IPL Burn Marks. What Is My Best Option? (photo)

How are your arms feeling now?

The doctor that I used was horrible. No manners or understanding that his staff messed up on a procedure. He can not own up to wrong doing. He was not professional with me and was very rude! I will never go to this location ever again!!!