It Was Great for a Few Months - Edmonton, AB

I came to see a cosmetic surgeon for a neck lift ,...

I came to see a cosmetic surgeon for a neck lift , I wanted to do something about excess skin on my neck . It was not a whole lot but it bothered me. I was told that they do not do neck lifts but do a full face lift to deal with this . I thought this would be ok and was looking forward to smoothing out jowels and lifting the upper face especially where there was a bit of a line caused by some minor weight loss (25 pounds). Ten days after surgery I was able to go out with a little makeup to cover some bruising on my neck. I looked really good about 15 years younger for about 8 months and then the internal stitches healed and the swelling gradually left my cheekbone areas . People were asking me if I was losing weight and said that my face looked very thin. I had actually maintained weight and maybe gained 5 pounds or so. I was left with a thinner face. I have lost the padding on my cheeks and under eye area which gave me high cheek bones prior to the surgery. I no longer looked younger. I feel that the upper part of my face looks less lifted than prior to the surgery. The excess skin on the neck was not corrected completely. The surgeon agreed and did a revision that involved a z shaped incision which was done a year later than the original surgery. It is now healing. When I told the surgeon that the upper face did not look lifted and that only the neck and jawline looked better he said sometimes that is what a facelift is. I am not happy with the loss of volume and absence of a lift in my upper face. I was hoping to look ten years younger for a few years not a few months.

Sorry your result isn't what you had hoped for, maybe if you post a question to the doctors on this site they could give you options for giving back your youthful appearance without having to do another lift, fat graft, fillers etc. there seems to be growing percentage of people who require revisions as more drs jump on the bandwagon, I am one of those who needed the full lift again. I agree it's very disappointing and takes a bit to get your head around it to go back again but if you are not disfigured take some steps to make it right. Get lots of advice and do your homework. Goodluck :-)
Thank you for sharing your experience! Did you have a full facelift or a mini lift?
Edmonton Plastic Surgeon

I think I should have received more information prior to the surgery. I was given a little brochure but no substantial information about expected outcomes and nothing specific about my face. I was expected to see a number of surgeons to gather information but I did not know this. I was not aware that different surgeons have different expectations for outcomes. I was told to write down questions but I did not know what questions I should ask. I had wanted more issues addressed with the revision surgery and called the office a few times and was told that this could be addressed on the day of surgery but was then told nothing else could be done. Anything I read said results would improve over the first year but I had the opposite experience . To be fair I think he is an excellent surgeon, I recovered quickly and look good I just felt uninformed through the process and maybe I was a bit off in my expectations.