Stem Cell Fat Transfer to the Breasts - Edina, MN

I've always been displeased with my breast size,...

I've always been displeased with my breast size, but implants were never really an option. Over the years, I stayed a B-C as my weight fluctuated. In 2009 I read an article in Wired magazine about stem cell fat grafting for cosmetic breast enhancement and for women who had had mastectomies. Last year, out of curiosity my boyfriend and I did a Google search and actually found a local doctor who now performed the procedure!

We scheduled a consultation and when we met with Dr. Shu he was optimistic I could gain 1-2 cup sizes, if I gained 5-10lbs for the procedure.

I scoured the internet looking for similar experiences and before & after photos and didn't have much luck. After much debate, I decided it was still worth the risk, so we scheduled an appointment. I also decided I was going to document my experience on a blog so other women would know what it's like.

The procedure itself was scary, painful, and long. The recovery was about the same. I had 480cc injected into each breast and Vaser liposuction from 10 different zones. My body swelled so much NONE of my pants fit for a good month or two afterwards.

I also interviewed with a local station (ugh, I still haven't watched it) regarding the surgery as well which can be seen here: http://twincitieslive.com/article/stories/s2676092.shtml?cat=10698

It's been almost 11 months since my surgery and I'm honestly LOVING my results. I'm now wearing a DD (D in some brands) and even feel comfortable going braless now. I feel amazing in a swimsuit and I actually have cleavage without an extreme push-up bra. While it didn't alter the shape of my breasts, the surgery greatly increased the size. The majority of the scars have faded, and while there is still some lumpiness in the breasts, it continues to improve. I plan on doing a big update on my one-year anniversary.

It seems like they removed the blog site when they...

It seems like they removed the blog site when they approved my profile, but if you do a Google search for Project Alice you should be able to find it. I've added some more pictures, sorry they're not in any particular order.

Sorry all, after rereading the terms of the...

Sorry all, after rereading the terms of the service I had to remove my images to avoid having them used by the site. Like I've said before, I have them all on Project Alice, easily found by Googling. I'm still happy to converse on here or through messages.
Shu Cosmetic Surgery

Hi Alice, how are you doing now? Any changes? I am thinking of doing a 2nd transfer to correct some lipo to the hips/legs.
Any updates Alice??
Congratulations Alice you're looking great! :) Thank you for posting an update after this long time gave me hope that the fat does stay! my Dr. offered to do my procedure using the stem cells, but I am still thinking about it. I have a Q for u, did you use BRAVA ? Also can u please tell us ur age ?? I just turned 27 :) the Dr. also said i would need to gain some weight and he is confident also of 1 to 2 cup sizes retained, I am still scared! I have another Q, were u able to wear your normal pants after 1 to 1.5 months out ?
Hi Rockstar! I did NOT use the BRAVA, and I'm 28 right now :) After the swelling went down I was able to wear my old pants. I wore a lot of elastic banded skirts and dresses to work in that time period. The compression garment also didn't help in that regard since it was black and crotchless... lol.
cool! how long did it take for the swelling to go down :D
Oh also i am loving ur blog! :D i skimmed thru most of it :)
Thank you! I created it with the intent of helping other people and then threw in some fun stuff too lol. I'd say it was a good 2 months before ALL of the swelling was gone. I had a lot of lipo zones so I'm not terribly surprised.
:) thanks! ur really helping ppl :) am happy for u :) and thnkful to ur detailed posts, helps me alot !
Hi Rockstar, how are you? Did you ever decide to do this procedure? If not, no worries. there is always time. Feel free to pm me if you wish.
Another question for you - have you found your body is different about retaining fat? It is harder to keep weight off, or has that ever been a problem for you? You seem slim and since you had to gain 5 pounds before surgery, may not an issue for you at all!
I don't think it's changed much at all. The only obvious difference from the lipo is my thighs, which are a lot better looking. I don't have any issues keeping the weight off and don't feel like it's changed the shape of my body at all with fat redistribution.
Great! I'm hoping that will be the case for me -slimmer thighs, bigger boobs, no problems. ;)
Hello projectalice! your sesults look very nice! Did he inject 480 cc in each breast only in ONE treatment? A doctor I talked to said that 250 cc in each one is the maximum =S
Yep, 480 in each. I wonder why your doctor said 250 is maximum?
yeah my dr was talking about 500 to 600 cc in each for me, he said it depends on the space but i am big girl with a big frame and loose skin from weight loss. I am 5'11 he said 600 with stem cells would be fine! but he did mention the fact that for some people the maximum would be 200 to 250cc cuz their body wont take more. he said every1 is different.
You said that the procedure itself was painful and long -- did the doctor do it under local anesthesia? I'm trying to find a doctor who will do this procedure without using general anesthesia as I get so sick from it!
It was all done under local anesthesia.
Thank you so much for your post! It's a big encourage and very helpful for us to see you fantastic final results here, especially I was used Vaser lipo same as you. Would you mine telling me that your stem cell fat transfer was use your" fat "or "blood" to derived the stem cells? It's difficult to find surgeons to do" fat cells" derived to stem cells' fat transfer here.
The stem cells were derived from the fat. Dr Shu has a machine from cytori (I'm not sure which model). Here is the original article I found: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/10/ff_futureofbreasts/
I'd tried hard to find a doctor who uses this machine in our areas before, but could n't find one , so just had PRP instead. However, fat can be derived much much more stem cells than blood. Just read your blog, it's very details and so so so helpful for me. Now, I know my breasts are getting smaller may be bigger again later, and I wasn't the only one super cold when woke up from surgery. Thank you so much!:)
Hi SOS!   You are so good about chatting with all of us.  Do you think you will post any pics soon so you can move to the top of the forum & we can see your progress? Amelia
Hi Amelia, I tried to use my cell phone to download my pictures, but it didn't work. I"m out of town, so don't feel safe to use someone's computer to load my pictures. You may have to see my pictures in few months when I come back home. I am your follower, and we also have another same interest (Laser), so I think we will chat a lot in your and other people's reviews. Can't wait to hear everything about your surgery..... one day to go yeah! Best Luck!:)
Hey SOS, You sure do travel alot for work!  I hope you are seeing some good things! LOL What do you do if you don't mind me asking (you can talk in general terms on here)? Do you know anything about the Erbium Laser? I can't wait to see your photos!  Thanks for the luck & well wishes!!
Not a good idea to talk about Laser in Alice's fat transfer review, send you a PM to chat about it Amelia.:)
Do you feel the compression on the breasts was okay?  People feel mixed about that killing the fat?  I guess it did not in your case, huh?