It's Really Happening! – Duluth, GA

I have been reading reviews on this site daily for...

I have been reading reviews on this site daily for the past three months. I decided to tell my experience because I've been encouraged and helped by the information I've read and hope to do the same for others. A little about me...I am a 37 year old mother of two and have been married for almost 14 years. My children are 21 and almost 15. I did not begin battling weight gain until about 6 years ago when I went back to school. I've tried many diets and have successfully lost weight with exercise but I always gained it back when stress and other responsibilities got me off track. I'm currently 175lb. I'm 5 feet 5 inches tall. I'm down from 195lb a couple of months ago. I had wanted a breast augmentation for the last 7 years or so. I finally consulted with a few doctors earlier this year. I told them all, three of them, that I wanted a breast lift/augmentation and liposuction of the abdomen. Two of the surgeons recommended a breast lift without the augmentation and a tummy tuck with liposuction to get my desired results. On 8/21/13 I will have a breast lift, tummy tuck, and liposuction of the abdomen, flanks, and back. At times, I get extremely nervous, scared, and anxious but for the most part I'm just happy that I'm finally doing it! I'm all paid up, have picked up all my prescriptions, and gotten all the needed supplies. Now, I'm just waiting and counting down the days.

Thank you for starting your story on RealSelf! There are lots of other women here in the mommy makeover (tt + breast work) community here on RealSelf that can relate to how you're feeling.

Here's a great post by JenBob about what she wishes she knew before her MM.

Please keep us posted throughout this journey!

So many emotions!

Yesterday I was feeling really nervous and kept thinking "what in the world have I gotten myself into?" Today, I was so happy and excited. I have to keep telling myself that I've wanted this for a long time and I deserve it. Tomorrow is my last day at work and the following day I will buy some last minute supplies, clean up my home, run errands, etc. Then the day after, it's game time! I anticipate being uncomfortable and being in pain. I've done enough research to know it won't be easy. All in all, I'm happy with my decision and anxious to get through those first few days.
How are you feeling? I had my tummy tuck yesterday also. I can walk around upright but yesterday was awful.
The first night has been the worst so far, there was a lot of nausea and I couldn't even drink anything. It's been better since then. I've been walking every hour, only pain in my back and get tired quickly. I can't sleep for that long either
I only for three hours at a time also. I was told to take a shower today but I'm waiting for my nurse to call me back. Did you take your nausea meds?

Feeling better today.

Day of surgery went by quickly. I got to the hospital, had my IV placed, got marked up, etc. The nurse gave me medicine to help relax as I was being wheeled into the OR. I remember getting to the room, the nurse telling me to scoot down some, and the next thing I know, I'm in recovery room. I kept falling back asleep every time someone made me wake up. I don't remember feeling much pain but my husband said that as soon as he walked into the recovery room, I said "This sh!t hurts, I want my belly monster back". WOW

That first night at home was really rough. Lots of pain and nausea. I had a Foley catheter in and I hated it. I didn't sleep well. Took meds for pain and nausea around the clock. At 5am the day after surgery, we took the Foley out. I felt better and had no problems urinating on my own.

As of now, I don't have a lot of pain in my tummy, only when I cough or laugh. The most discomfort is in my back from having to walk hunched over and in the areas that were lipo'd. No more nausea meds, I took the patch off today. I've been eating and drinking small amounts at a time. I was taking two doses of Dilaudid every six hours and now down to 1 pill every eight hours. I'm hoping to be off of the pain meds by the time I go to postop appt on Tuesday. Will update later with pics.
Just checking in to see how things are going. I am sure you are loving your new body. Can't wait to see pics.
Hi. I wanted to check on you. How are you feeling? Also I wanted to know if you stayed over night in the hospital?

Update

Ok, so I am almost 14 weeks postop and my update is long overdue. I will try to cram a lot of info into this post while keeping it as short as possible. I went back to work three weeks after my surgery and have also been working on my BSN in nursing. I have been very busy with both but here goes. I loved my results from day 1. No doubt about that. I did have some minor complications. I had an allergic reaction to the Neosporin that I used on my belly button. This delayed the healing process quite a bit. I also had a weird reaction to the steri strips that were used on the tummy tuck incision. When the strips were removed, the incision bled a lot, the skin was extremely inflamed and was not healing properly. For some strange reason, the incisions on my breasts did not have the same reaction even though steri strips were used there as well. My second drain had to be removed early because it started leaking. This led to me having a wound on my tummy tuck incision line that had to be packed until it healed. So....about a month out, my breasts healed fine. I had to use hydrocortisone cream on and around my belly button and pack it until it healed. I had to pack the wound on the tummy tuck incision and use Silvadene cream on it until it healed. This took almost two months. I will admit that there were times during this process that made me depressed and frustrated. I had to remind myself that what happened was nothing major and I had that to be grateful for.

As I mentioned, I went back to work three weeks after the surgery. I tired very easily the first week or two that I was back. Lucky for me, I work with a group of great nurses who knew about my surgery and were very supportive. The first few weeks, I wore my binder over the compression garment 24 hours a day. I would get swollen after a few hours of being on my feet. Like most people, the swelling was at a minimum when I first woke up each morning. Now, I still wear the binder over the compression garment when I'm at work. I wear just the compression garment when I get dressed to go out. I still have a fair amount of swelling in my abdomen after I've been up for a while. I just recently started working out again. I think this is going to help with the swelling and maximize my results. I still have some numbness and a burning sensation in my lower back from the extensive amount of liposuction that was done there. I still feel a soreness in my abdominal muscles when I laugh really hard or sneeze. Otherwise, I pretty much can do anything I want to do.

I absolutely love my results. Even with the minor issues I had, I do not regret my decision one bit. I would do it all over again! My doctor is the best. I have to give him praise for what he did. No amount of exercise and diet would have given me the look I have now. I have so much more confidence now! For anyone considering having a tummy tuck, or anyone in the early stages of recovery, be confident in your decision and go for it! Sorry it took so long for an update. I will be sure to post another update and more pics after I've been consistent with my workouts for a while. The picture in the white tank top was taken a few weeks after the surgery. The others were taken a couple of days ago. I took the pics wearing the same bikini that I wore in the before pics. Take care!
You look fantastic I love your results keeping healing beautifully I love your swim suit as well
Things are great! Thanks for checking on me and yes, I'm loving it!
I did not stay overnight. I did okay at home but I probably would have been more comfortable if I had stayed at the hospital that first night.
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon