No More Snoring For Me - Duluth, GA

I always knew I had a deviated septum (runs in my...

I always knew I had a deviated septum (runs in my family) - in addition to or as a result of a crooked nose (swooping to the left)- but it never presented any physical problems until my late 40's. In 2006 I took up treadmill running, doing about 3 miles a day, and even though I was healthy otherwise I always felt like I could not get enough air - and I do not have asthma and have never smoked. On top of that, I had started snoring at night. So I did the "air flow test" on myself and flunked - hold one nostril closed with a finger and inhale deeply. When I closed my right nostril and inhaled, my left nostril pulled completely shut. So in 2008 I found a qualified ear-nose-throat surgeon and had a septoplasty.

I have had major surgery before, including abdominal surgery involving 36 staples, but I have to say that this relatively small procedure on my nose really threw me for a loop. I could not seem to get enough pain medicine to rest comfortably (I had to get a 2nd prescription before 10 days were up); and I definitely would not have wanted to recuperate on my own, or try to do this over a long weekend. I stayed at my boyfriend's house for 2 weeks, and stayed off my feet for an entire week of that.

Once I was all healed, it took about 3 months for the blood clots (ick) to stop forming inside (which I naturally had to blow out. Double ick). I was back on the treadmill a month after surgery, and the difference was really amazing. I no longer had to open my mouth to breathe deeply enough to run! I can now take full, deep breaths just through my nose. And I no longer snore at all, unless I have a really bad headcold.

On the downside, surgery did not get rid of the bump on my nose. But it did, ever so slightly, straighten out the left-leaning swoopiness.

$2K. Ugh!

Thanks for posting your doctor's name. Very helpful for those in the Duluth, GA area!

I probably won't do a rhinoplasty, just way too much money for what I would get out of it. I have made peace with my schnoz, it's just a bump.

I will get my doctor's name and update my post.

Emory Hosp. on the northside took good care of me for the short time I was there (although they stuck me with the $2k balance that was left over after the "negotiated" price of surgery with my group insurance).

Hey, thanks for your review over here! I know what you mean about the blood clots. So gross. It sounds like recovery time for a Septoplasty alone was about as long as for rhinoplasty. Do you think you'll ever seek rhinoplasty?

We'd love it if you'd provide the name of your surgeon, too. It's a big help.

Dr. Philip Say, Norteast Atlanta Ear, Nose & Throat, P.C.

He was able to explain in detail how he would approach my surgery, and answered the detailed questions I had about outcomes and possible risks and side effects. No photos were taken because this was not a cosmetic procedure.