The Dream is About to Become Reality! One Week to Go :-) - Draper, UT

I'm 39 (almost 40) 5'2", and currently 160 lbs. ...

I'm 39 (almost 40) 5'2", and currently 160 lbs. Ever since I had my daughter 10 years ago, I have struggled with maintaining a healthy weight. A little over a year ago, I dedicated myself to eating better and becoming more active. It has taken me a while, but I have lost nearly 50lbs. When I hit the 30 lb loss, I became very aware of how flabby my belly skin was. I had gained a lot of muscle, and was feeling more confident about how I looked in clothes, but was annoyed at the lengths I had to go to camouflage my midsection. I'd have to go up a size in pants to accommodate my gut, and wear long, loose tops. It was at this point that I decided I wanted to get it fixed. I had worked too hard to be uncomfortable in my own skin-I felt great about my accomplishment, and wanted the outside to match the inside!
I spent a lot of time stalking this site, and reading hundreds of reviews. I consulted with 5 different plastic surgeons in my area before I decided on Dr. Fryer. He and his staff are very patient with my million questions, they're close to my home, and came highly recommended by a co-worker. I will be having an extended TT with lipo of my hips and thighs.
My work is very flexible, so I will be taking the week of surgery off, and working from home the following week.
My husband was skeptical about it at first. Of course he tells me that I'm beautiful, and don't need to change a thing. After a little time, he came to realize how much it meant to me to have this done. I took up running when I made my lifestyle change, and I can always count on him to be waiting for me at the finish line. He is being very loving and supportive, and I'm so grateful that I will have him here to help me through the recovery process, just like he has supported me with my running.
My daughter spends the summer with her dad out of state, so I scheduled the surgery while she is gone. That way she won't see mommy in pain, and I will be able to focus more on taking care of myself.
I have my pre-op this afternoon, and will have my husband help me take some "before" photos for me to post.
My birthday is on July 22nd, so I'm hoping to be pretty well healed in time to celebrate the big 40. Nervous and excited...this is finally going to happen!

PO Day 1

Ok, so I'm a liitle loopy. I posted my update as a comment Let's try this again..
PO Day 1 This last week has been a rough one. Friday afternoon I got a phone call that my mom was being rushed to the emergency room for chest pains. She was very lucky that it wasn't a heart attack, but they did find two severe blockages that needed to be cleared. She had 2 stents put in, and was able to come home on Monday. She felt really bad, because she was planning on helping my husband take care of me PO. I'm just glad that she's ok now! Now for my surgery story: A couple weeks after I scheduled my procedure, I called in to Dr. Fryer's office to see about adding lipo of my inner thighs to the list. I was told that I didn't need to schedule an additional consultation for that. The morning of surgery, Dr. Fryer saw in my notes that we were doing extra lipo, and was bothered that another consult wasn't scheduled. He informed me that the skin of the inner thigh doesn't snap back like other areas of the body, and if he did lipo, I would lose the bulk, but have loose skin. I opted not to have my thighs done. Figured I would rather have thick legs than saggy ones! The procedure went well, and in the process my entire birthmark was removed. That kind of made me sad, but it's a small price to pay for a flat tummy! Pain has been manageable, and I was able to pretty much sleep through the night in my recliner. If I hadn't needed to use the restroom, I could've stayed there all night. Yesterday the nurse instructed my husband to give me one pain pill every two hours for the first day home, but today I'm only one every four. I'm hoping that I can get off them by tomorrow, and strictly do Tylenol, because the Percocet makes me itchy. I am having some leakage from my drain sites. My husband taped a piece of gauze over them so it wouldn't leak through my clothes, but I'm wondering if I need to go back in to have them looked at? While I was at my f/u appt today, I got to take a peek at my new belly....and it looks amazing! My husband said he hasn't seen my face light up like that in a long time. The nurse pointed out that even though I was swollen, it still looked fantastic. I'm so glad I did this!!

Pain...

I was feeling pretty great after my f/u appt, and decided to try taking only half a pain pill at a time. Not a good idea. It's not excruciating, but I'm definitely more comfortable when I take a whole one.
My husband is the best! He's been taking such good care of me (and my mom.) I don't know what I'd do without hi,m :-)

Without bandages

I took a shower, and had my husband take a few pics.

Nausea

I'd finally had enough of the itching caused by the Percocet, and have been strictly Tylenol since PO day 2. The pain isn't bad at all, my biggest issue is nausea.
I'm sleeping through the night, and my drain output is decreasing. But, I get nauseated every time I start moving around after having been still for a while. I haven't vomited (thankfully) but the nausea is frustrating. I've also developed queasiness when it comes to my drains. It didn't bother me at first-my husband would do one side while I did the other, but now the sight of them makes me gag.
I'm also getting antsy from always sitting/laying in the same position. I keep telling myself that it's getting better every day, and soon enough this will all be a memory.
Oh, and coughing is a nightmare! I started choking on a drink of water last night, and that was the most horrific pain I've experienced so far. I held a pillow against my abdomen and leaned against the back of the couch. I got through it, but I don't want that to ever happen again.
I've heard a lot of people having issues with moving their bowels after surgery, but I haven't had a problem. I think the fact that I wasn't on the pain meds very long helped that out. Also, I've been eating a cup of Activia yogurt every day, and took a dose of milk of magnesia the night of PO day 2.

The highs and lows

Overall, I'd have to say I feel pretty good. But let me take a minute to tell you about all of the things that keep me from feeling great:
1- Soreness from the hip lipo has set in, which leads to number...
2- I can't find a comfortable position to sleep in. I had been sleeping great in the recliner, but now that's not even working. I sleep for an hour or two, and wake up with a stiff neck, and struggle to find a new position.
3- My abdominal binder won't stay in place. I try to keep it pulled low enough to cover my drain sites, but no matter how much I adjust it, it shifts upward.
4- My lipo swelling has settled right below where the binder sits. Since the freakin thing keeps riding up, I have this large bulge at the top of my butt that makes it look deformed.
5- I still have both drains. I go back to work on Monday, and I really didn't want to still have them in. I have an appointment Monday morning, so I'm crossing my fingers that they'll take them both out then.

On the plus side, the nurse got me a prescription for a different pain medication. I have only been taking Tylenol occasionally, but I really needed something stronger to get me comfortable enough to sleep at night. Also, today was the first day that I woke up and did not have nausea!

Draaaaiiiinnns...

It's been 12 days since surgery, and my output hasn't decreased enough to get them removed. I had a couple of days where I was hopeful, but then it picked up again. My co-worker said she was ready to have hers out in 5, but her surgeon had a 10 day rule. My surgeon said he's had people keep them up to 4 weeks!
I'm curious as to how long others had to have them in?

One down, one to go

Yesterday I was able to have my right drain removed. I was pretty nervous about it, because I thought it would hurt. I didn't feel a thing! My left side is still putting out too much to even consider removing it. At this rate, I'm thinking it will be at least another week.
Being back at work this week hasn't been too bad. I have found that if I don't get up and walk frequently that I stiffen up. By the time I get home at the end of the day I'm exhausted, though.

Current pic

I took this with my phone, so it's not the best quality. My incision is healing up nicely, and my swelling isn't too bad these days.

Afters...Finally!

I have been meaning to get back on here for a very long time, and I'm finally here. I could write a novel about everything that has been going on, but the main point of this post is that I'm fully recovered, and completely thrilled with my results!! I will never regret it, and will sell this procedure (and my surgeon) to anyone who will sit still long enough to listen. :-)

Scar View

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

I am extremely pleased with my results, and I'm only one day PO! Dr. Fryer and his staff are great. My husband was very impressed that he (not a nurse) called last night to check on me, and answered my husband's questions. At my f/u appt he told me that he was having his office manager cut me a check for my overpayment (since I didn't get the thigh lipo.) He said that if I didn't mind waiting, he could get it for me while I was there. I didn't even have to ask about it!

You look good, thanks for posting updated pics of the scar. You look tiny! Did you lose much weight after the surgery?
Thank you! After surgery I lost around 6 pounds. Since recovery I've gradually lost a bit more, but I ended up needing back surgery in Dec which has hampered my workout efforts.
really natural results. looking great.
How is the swelling at this point? I remember you saying that you had lopsided swelling.
Swelling isn't too bad. I have more swelling in my hips than my abdomen, but I'm hoping that when I am able to switch garments I can wear something that will smooth things out better.
Hey, I had my drains in for two weeks. If you are producing alot of fluid still keeping them in is good to prevent a seroma. I know what a pain they are to have to drag around!!! I hope you get them out soon. I think you are intensely brave for working so soon after your procedure... I'm just under 4 weeks post op and I get tired during the day and swell up alot when sitting too long or moving alot.
Looking good!!! Are you able to switch to a different garment? I had that binder on for the first week and just got switched to a different one and you can tell the difference. It feel so much better and holds everything in place. Look on my page I took a pic in it! Happy Healing! Btw that binder was folding on my back and there was not enough compression, it seems like it is but its not.
I was told I could switch, but with my drains still in, I'd have to cut holes in it. I have a couple of different girdles and Spanx that I'm going to try after they're removed. I think I'm going to try the Spanx first to see if it will help with my weird butt bulge.
What wrong with your butt hun? You hang in there. The garnment that I have on has a hole for thr restroom and the slide the drains through the hole in the garnment. When I get home I will be shopping for something alot better than this one. Drains are coming out tomorrow, so thats a huge relief!
I had lipo on my hips, and it seems that the binder has pushed the swelling down so that I have this bulge at the top of my butt. If you look at the side view in my PO pics, you can see it. I still have too much drain output, so I called and left a vm to cancel my appt for tomorrow morning. I really hate the idea of going back to work with both of these still in, but I'm also sick of sitting around the house!
Hi! Glad you mom is ok! I live in Draper too and am having my tummy tuck with Dr. Constantine on Sept 5th. Looking forward to following your progress.
Dr. Constantine is great, too! I had a consult with him as well. It was a tie between Constantine, Fryer, and Dunkley. I ended up choosing Fryer because he's closer to home, and he offered a cash discount. I go to Dr. Constantine's office for laser hair removal. His staff is fantastic!
Glad your mom is ok. My ps told me the same about the thighs. A friend had them done by another surgeon and they look horrible, flabby and saggy!
PO Day 1 This last week has been a rough one. Friday afternoon I got a phone call that my mom was being rushed to the emergency room for chest pains. She was very lucky that it wasn't a heart attack, but they did find two sever blockages that needed to be cleared. She had 2 stents put in, and was able to come home on Monday. She felt really bad, because she was planning on helping my husband take care of me PO. I'm just glad that she's ok now! Now for my surgery story: A couple weeks after I scheduled my procedure, I called in to Dr. Fryer's office to see about adding lipo of my inner thighs to the list. I was told that I didn't need to schedule an additional consultation for that. The morning of surgery, Dr. Fryer saw in my notes that we were doing extra lipo, and was bothered that another consult wasn't scheduled. He informed me that the skin of the inner thigh doesn't snap back like other areas of the body, and if he did lipo, I would lose the bulk, but have loose skin. I opted not to have my thighs done. Figured I would rather have thick legs than saggy ones! The procedure went well, and in the process my entire birthmark was removed. That kind of made me sad, but it's a small price to pay for a flat tummy! Pain has been manageable, and I was able to pretty much sleep through the night in my recliner. If I hadn't needed to use the restroom, I could've stayed there all night. Yesterday the nurse instructed my husband to give me one pain pill every two hours for the first day home, but today I'm only one every four. I'm hoping that I can get off them by tomorrow, and strictly do Tylenol, because the Percocet makes me itchy. I am having some leakage from my drain sites. My husband taped a piece of gauze over them so it wouldn't leak through my clothes, but I'm wondering if I need to go back in to have them looked at? While I was at my f/u appt today, I got to take a peek at my new belly....and it looks amazing! My husband said he hasn't seen my face light up like that in a long time. The nurse pointed out that even though I was swollen, it still looked fantastic. I'm so glad I did this!!
I'm glad it all went well for you! Can't wait to see what it looks like once the bandages are off. What he said about the outer thigh lipo was really interesting, I'm kind of bummed about that. One of the drs I consulted with said I might have the loose skin effect if I have lipo on my hips... Worried about that so I might try the coolsculpting route before I do the tummy tuck.
Excited you have made this decision! You will do awesome. Keep a very positive energy around you and positive thoughts as you arrive and you will know that you have made the right decision.
Just keep thinking that this will all be over very soon! I'm sure you will be glad you did it as well. :) I was going to do my surgery this summer but plans to move have changed things for me... Also this gives me more time to work on eating healthy and mentally preparing myself in the meantime. Because I also like Dr. Fryer, I'm anxious to hear how your surgery turns out. Good luck with the surgery, I am sure you will be extremely happy with the results.
Good luck!
Everything will be great!!
Good luck!!!
Congratulations on your weight loss! Good luck with the surgery! I had mine yesterday and already feel better. :) Feel free to message me with any questions...
Wow, that is so good to hear that you're already feeling better one day PO! I'm dreading the recovery, but your comment gives me hope :-)
My son saw Dr. Fryer as an infant and had his webbed toes fixed by him. They had to do a skin graft from his groin area and the seam from the surgery is very fine and hardly noticeable. Please post before and after pics.
The nurse took my pre-op photos at my last appt, and I told her that was more humiliating than all the strangers that saw my hoo-ha during delivery. She thought it was hilarious, but I really hated showing her that blob of flesh that I work so hard to conceal! I plan on having my husband help me take photos this weekend, so I can get them up before surgery.