My Ethnic Rhinoplasty Experience - Dominican Republic, DO

May 13th, 2012 I wanted a nose job since I was...

May 13th, 2012
I wanted a nose job since I was very young, maybe as young as 13 years old. While growing up people like a friend from school, my old boss at work and even my godmother asked me if I had not thought about having a nose job, and that really affected me, so now with 25 years old I decided it was time.

I had my surgery March 8th, I thought I was over prepared, I had read so much about rhinoplasty for all this years that I thought I had a master's degree, but God was I wrong.

My surgery didn't hurt at all, it was just uncomfortable because during the first week I had to breathe through my mouth. However, I was shocked because I couldn't even open my mouth, I used teaspoons and straws to eat and drink for about two weeks, everything felt soooo tight, my nose, my cheeks, my forehead, my nose was hard as a rock, etc, I couldn't make any expressions. My full smile came back last week, so 8 weeks after the surgery and my nose is a bit more flexible, but I still cannot purse my lips.

I live in the Dominican Republic, everybody here is a mix of races, nobody is 100% black or white, so doctors are used to ethic rhinoplasty. My doctor is lovely he did a very conservative nose job, he did a small alarplasty and inserted an L shaped silicone implant, but I've come to realize that "You don't know what you have until its gone", yeap, I made a mistake, my new nose doesn't look bad, everybody loves it, but I've been so depressed, this isn't for me, it doesn't make me happy, my natural me, that's who I want to be, me with my big, flat, SOFT nose and it's so sad that I had to go through this to appreciate myself.

I wanted to remove the implant May 10th, but my doctor is going abroad and said that he prefers to do it after he returns at the beginning of June, so I can have follow up appointments the weeks after the removal. I'm scared because I don't want to end up disfigure, but my doctor told me that everything will be fine and that I'm going to have my normal nose just a bit narrower because of the alar trimming but nothing drastic. Meanwhile, I'm going to see a therapist, the emotional toll of this has been huge for me.

Rhinoplasty is wonderful, it can help a lot of people but I just focused on the physical part and totally skipped the emotional. If you're thinking about having a nose job, take into consideration EVERYTHING, because once it's done there's no turning back. I hope once my implant is removed I'll have a similar nose to the one I had before, but I know it'll never 100% the same.

I'll update about the outcome of the implant removal.

Finally, I got my implant removed yesterday. It is...

Finally, I got my implant removed yesterday. It is a simple process, a small shot of anesthesia in the nose tip and pull out the implant. I have bandages on, so I still cannot see clearly how my nose looks, but I can see the shape and everything seems ok.
I feel awesome, I feel free, I feel like dancing! Thank you God!

Today I went to the doctor and he removed the...

Today I went to the doctor and he removed the bandages, and thankfully everything looks good even though the skin is irritated. Thank God for allowing me to go back, I'm very thankful. Good luck to all of you who are planning or recovering from surgery. May you be as happy as I am today.

My doctor is wonderful, he cares about me, about his work, calls to know how I'm doing and takes his time to answer all my questions. I think it was not worth it because personally I realized a nose job is not for me.

Aw you seem so genuine. I'm happy you are happy! I never really considered the emotional part of rhinoplasty but I'm going to do some more research. Did you feel like your entire face changed with your new nose? Did the feeling of regret you afterwards lean toward guilt or shame? I know depression is hard to put into words but I'm just curious about what really got you to wanting the old you back. You're beautiful. Thanks again for sharing!!
which doctor whats his or her name
which doctor
Wow...
Puedes subir fotos más grandes? Así no tendría que estar acercando tanto esas pequeñas fotos que publicaste conjunto tu publicación---ya que quedan desfiguradas. Please :S
Por cierto, tienes un FB o Google+?
I'm so glad everything turned out well for you! Congratulations
Awesome, this gives me some hope. So glad you're happy again
you're so lucky - so how do you feel? do you see your old self again?
Yes! I'm very, very happy! :D
Magnificent: can you give me details as the clinic you went at for your procedure!?

I too live in Dominican Republic and would actually love to know more about the surgeon that attended you if you could, provide me, with any form or way to contact him or his Facebook profile. Thank you.
Good for you! Congratulations! Keep us posted
How are you doing mate!? Since it's been a while from your last update on the issue. Are you liking your nose as it's swelling off with time!? Or are you still in grief over it? Any clear photos of your nose for us to see?
its so hard discovering that you change your features , and you cant go back again , I feel that every word , i thougth i dont like how i look but now I adore my natural look , how i was stupid , how i dont like myself , i was so nice but i want to be nicer , i was so gredy , I hate how i look now am so fake , i even didnt enjoy getting out with my friends , belive me its so hard its a nigthmare , dont tell me if you dont like it do revision , its a nigthmare , i will never been througth this again , swelling , burising , looking ugly , for what its not worth at all , nothing in this earth worth to be in a good health and make operation how i am crazy , i do have a beautiful eyes ,mouth,cheeks , what is the problem of a bad nose i lose all of this , i lose my life my self
English, please. Write it. Properly. Please...
I'm sorry I misunderstood your story.. I totally understand how it must be uncomfortable with foreign material in your nose. I hope that everything goes well with having it removed and you are very happy with the results afterward. Thank you for the generous compliment, I appreciate that very much.
Hi Jessie,

I'm not looking for a revision, or bother about the current shape because I know there's a lot of swelling. I just don't like having foreign material inside my nose and for that reason I'm removing it, and I'll be happy with my big and flat nose.

I saw your pictures. Honestly in my country you would be asked to representant us for Miss Universe. However, Good luck with your surgery and may it be everything you always dreamed.
Sorry that you did not like the outcome of your surgery, I'm sure it is tough emotionally. Mine isn't for another 5 weeks but just from what everyone else says I would bet that it is just still swollen since it's only been 8 weeks. I would give it some time to heal and see how much it changes. They say it takes up to a year for it to completely heal and most doctors won't even do revisions until a year has passed. Good luck to you either way.
I am sorry to hear you are not happy with the result but If I may I would like to tell you my personal experience. I had rhinoplasty as well last month. YEs, I am happy with the results but I am not thrilled about it! Definetely my nose look better now than before but you have to be realistic with your expectations. I personally think you should leave it like this the way it is, it looks BEAUTIFUL! your friends are right when they tell you that! why you don't like it?
Hi NaturalMe,

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I know swelling lasts for a year, or maybe more for ethnic noses. However, I really dislike having an implant inside. For me this has been an eye opening experience, now I look at my parents, my bother, cousins, and they are all so beautiful, and I was so blind before.
I focused on stupid things, yeah, you I not have had the nose that at lot of people considered the perfect or pretty one, but it was me and t I was so busy comparing myself to others that I didn't realize I was happy, now I have a nose that a lot of people consider prettier or better than before, but it's not me.

I'm just hoping everything will turn out well.

Thanks for your message Natural :)

I'm so sorry you went through all this only to be unhappy with your results. I've never had an implant, but I can tell you that my nose softened a lot over time. Now it almost feels like my natural nose.

We'd love to see your photos if you feel comfortable posting them (you can even blur out your eyes).

I think it's smart to go to a therapist to sort out your emotions. Making alterations to our faces and bodies is an amazing privilege, but can also change how you feel about yourself, for better or worse.

Please let us know when you go through your revision and what you think of your nose then. An expensive lesson, but one that will last you for life, I bet! Virtual hugs!