My Ethnic Rhinoplasty Experience - Dominican Republic, DO

May 13th, 2012 I wanted a nose job since I was...

May 13th, 2012
I wanted a nose job since I was very young, maybe as young as 13 years old. While growing up people like a friend from school, my old boss at work and even my godmother asked me if I had not thought about having a nose job, and that really affected me, so now with 25 years old I decided it was time.

I had my surgery March 8th, I thought I was over prepared, I had read so much about rhinoplasty for all this years that I thought I had a master's degree, but God was I wrong.

My surgery didn't hurt at all, it was just uncomfortable because during the first week I had to breathe through my mouth. However, I was shocked because I couldn't even open my mouth, I used teaspoons and straws to eat and drink for about two weeks, everything felt soooo tight, my nose, my cheeks, my forehead, my nose was hard as a rock, etc, I couldn't make any expressions. My full smile came back last week, so 8 weeks after the surgery and my nose is a bit more flexible, but I still cannot purse my lips.

I live in the Dominican Republic, everybody here is a mix of races, nobody is 100% black or white, so doctors are used to ethic rhinoplasty. My doctor is lovely he did a very conservative nose job, he did a small alarplasty and inserted an L shaped silicone implant, but I've come to realize that "You don't know what you have until its gone", yeap, I made a mistake, my new nose doesn't look bad, everybody loves it, but I've been so depressed, this isn't for me, it doesn't make me happy, my natural me, that's who I want to be, me with my big, flat, SOFT nose and it's so sad that I had to go through this to appreciate myself.

I wanted to remove the implant May 10th, but my doctor is going abroad and said that he prefers to do it after he returns at the beginning of June, so I can have follow up appointments the weeks after the removal. I'm scared because I don't want to end up disfigure, but my doctor told me that everything will be fine and that I'm going to have my normal nose just a bit narrower because of the alar trimming but nothing drastic. Meanwhile, I'm going to see a therapist, the emotional toll of this has been huge for me.

Rhinoplasty is wonderful, it can help a lot of people but I just focused on the physical part and totally skipped the emotional. If you're thinking about having a nose job, take into consideration EVERYTHING, because once it's done there's no turning back. I hope once my implant is removed I'll have a similar nose to the one I had before, but I know it'll never 100% the same.

I'll update about the outcome of the implant removal.

Finally, I got my implant removed yesterday. It is...

Finally, I got my implant removed yesterday. It is a simple process, a small shot of anesthesia in the nose tip and pull out the implant. I have bandages on, so I still cannot see clearly how my nose looks, but I can see the shape and everything seems ok.
I feel awesome, I feel free, I feel like dancing! Thank you God!

Today I went to the doctor and he removed the...

Today I went to the doctor and he removed the bandages, and thankfully everything looks good even though the skin is irritated. Thank God for allowing me to go back, I'm very thankful. Good luck to all of you who are planning or recovering from surgery. May you be as happy as I am today.

My doctor is wonderful, he cares about me, about his work, calls to know how I'm doing and takes his time to answer all my questions. I think it was not worth it because personally I realized a nose job is not for me.