Laurel, BRC 1 and BRC 2 Positive, 44 Year Old Patient Who is Amazed at my Outcome! - Dobbs Ferry, NY

When I found out in 5/2013 that I was positive for...

When I found out in 5/2013 that I was positive for both the BRC-1 and BRC-2 mutation I had to make an agonizing decision to have a prophylactic mastectomy as this mutation puts me at a very high risk for breast cancer. My research brought me to Dr. Salzberg as "THE MAN" to go to for a one step, direct to implant reconstruction using alloderm. Everything I read sang the praises of not only an amazing and skilled surgeon, but an exceptional human being. When we met, he looked me in the eye and said, "what are you worried about, you are going to look better." He wasn't arrogant, but so confident and assuring that I was put to ease and able to go forward with surgery. Every time I got nervous, I reminded myself of what he told me! I am just over three months since the surgery and he was right! I am thrilled with the outcome AND no longer living each day thinking about my BRC gene or cancer!
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

I have seen Dr. Salzberg in both of his offices. He never rushed me or was impatient and believe me, I always had A LOT of questions! His compassion and kindness coupled with his skill and experience made all the difference to me at a very challenging time. I had met with other plastic surgeons that left me in tears as I was so scared of the outcome and the numerous surgeries and procedures I would go through with a prophylactic mastectomy. I am soooo thankful that a procedure like direct to implant exists! I walked out of the hospital still looking very much like me and in the long run I know even better than I was before! Recovery was smooth and I experienced very little pain. Dr. Salzberg is one of a kind. Kudos to his staff as well. There is not one nurse, PA, admin or receptionist that does not share have the same genuine demeanor that he has . A rare find and I feel very blessed to be one of his patients!

Thank you for sharing your story on RealSelf. I'm happy to hear you've drastically reduced your risk for cancer and that you have a new look you love. What a blessing to have found a doctor you trusted and felt comfortable with. That's great you were able to use Alloderm and an implant. Did you have a nipple sparing surgery or are you possibly tattooing nipples? Glad you are doing well!