Love IPL, Perfect for my Skin Troubles - Dallas Fort Worth, TX

I just had my 2nd IPL treatment today and it was...

I just had my 2nd IPL treatment today and it was just as positive as the 1st treatment 4 months ago.

My background: Caucasian-looking (fair with yellow undertones), with Native American, French and German in my heritage. My aesthetician told me today that the IPL machine she uses has no laser at all, it is just an intense light therapy that targets pigmentation that "stands out" from the rest of my skin. I have a lot of hyperpigmentation, mostly due to inconsistent use of sunscreen in my younger years (I'm 36 now) and I also have a bad habit of picking at blemishes so I have so post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

I get the lidocaine cream applied about 20 minutes before procedure and I think it makes a huge difference in comfort level. The most damaged areas of my face sting the worst of course, but overall it really isn't bad. My face feels warm but not hot post treatment and that warmth fades over about 2 hours. My brown spots congregate together in darker thicker spots over the next couple of days and then they slough off with washing/exfoliation.

I use Boscia and Obagi products and neither have caused irritation post treatment. I really love the IPL and willl continue to use it as part of my skin care rotation over the years. I was lucky enough to get in on a 50% off deal so that makes it that much sweeter!

I hear such mixed things about IPL, but more and more I've been hearing from people with stories similar to yours. Is the hyperpigmentation that comes off sort of a light brown that unevenly covers your skin, or are they like actual freckles/tiny moles?