Dental Block Reaction?

I went to a med spa at the mall who was having a...

I went to a med spa at the mall who was having a sale on Restylane, (2) 1cc syringes for $999.00 and they would throw in 30cc of Botox for free so...of course I purchased the package deal.

I have had Restylane one time in the past and liked the results but felt that I could have had a little more put in because even though I had 0.5cc put in I wanted bigger lips than 0.5cc gave me. So I told the PA that I wanted 1cc put in...

well, after having the dental block to both sides of my upper mouth (sides of nose) area and lower mouth area the PA started injecting the Restylane, I could feel it alot!! (Burning, stretching...) so I stuck it out on the right side of my upper lip but she must have injected me with the needle that was becoming duller and duller with each injection like 5 times to just that one side of my upper lip.

So for the other side she put more block in (2% lidocaine mixed with normal saline) to the area on the side of my nose, well the entire procedure was bordering on painful almost like the lidocaine wasn't working. I figured well...the price of vanity and dealt with it.

After the procedure I looked in the mirror and my face looked kind of strange, puffy, deformed (like the joker on batman) of course my lips were so swollen and already starting to bruise,so I assumed it was because I had !cc put in my lips which I guess is a lot.

Well, afterwards I kept ice one my lips for most of the day and noticed that I could feel fluid and swelling on the sides of my face and the sides of my chin. My skin felt kind of numb to the touch in those areas also.

The next morning when I got up my face was even more swollen up into my eyes, it appeared that the lidocaine because of gravity had moved into the under eye area on the left hand side and made my eye look swollen and wrinkled. I called the med spa and the PA had never heard of anything like that happening. She did not ask me to come in to be assessed or anything (I am an RN) I thought that was not good practice.

Anyways, over the next 5 days my face remained puffy, distorted and slightly numb, not only were my lips swollen and bruised but the sides of my face, chin and left eye area were swollen. My jaw even took on a square looking outline and I don't have a square jaw. I could feel the lidocaine in my face for about 10 days before it finally seemed to absorb.

Has anyone ever heard of this?? I called my dentist and he said that it could have been a reaction to the preservatives in the lidocaine. It sucked soooo bad and now I am afraid to ever get a block again. My lips look good, I wish there was a little more fullness to the underneath area on the right side, very slightly uneven...however at this time and because of the ordeal I experienced I am not in a hurry to go use that other 1cc syringe that I purchased.

If anyone else has had this experience with the dental block I would love to hear if you found anything out about it. It doesn't sound like it is very common.
Thanks

Pure Med Spa

WOW, after reading the comments, I wish I had read them prior to getting this procedure. I am in pain. I cannot feel the left side of my face and it is over a week since the procedure. The skin is raw and I have a black eye. The procedure was done by an MD. She said that she had never had this type of reaction. I am going to print these remarks and give them to her.
You should print them. These doctors must know that this happens and would rather take the chance that they won't happen so they can make quick, easy money. I hope doctors start looking at this site so that they can learn something.
I had a very bad experience with the dental block. The PA injected my upper lip with lidocaine in several places and it hurt like heck. Then she injected the Juvederm. After completing the top lip she started injected for my lower lip by the time she got to third injection I started to pass out. I layed back until it passed and told her not to finish the dental block because it didn't even help in the top lip. She the finished the bottom. I will never have her do a dental block again. I was pleased with how my lips turned out.
So on Thursday I went in for my regular juvederm fillers He had a new woman working with him who he said will be doing all his botox and fillers from now on, so he had her administer the injections for the dental block. I could feel my face swell and get hard knots on either side of my nose, however my lips did not get numb. SO then my Dr gave about 3 MORE lidocain injections. I could feel my eyes puffing! After the procedure I went home and looked in the mirror..OMG I look like a PIG/CHIPMUNK. The swelling has tipped my nose up, my cheeks are completely swelled. Its been 3 days now, I dont see any improvement. I am also numb in spots on my left cheek. Between the 2 of them it seems like I was totally over treated with the dental block. I called and of course they said ICE it. But this is FREAKIN ugly! I had to go to a FAC party last night, was really embarrassed to be SEEN!Its BAD! At least I can see from these posts that eventually the swelling will go down. I am MAD about it!
Wow.. I have been getting juvaderm etc for YEARS and yesterday my MD who does it, had his new helper administer the dental block. I felt the swelled up lump next to my nose immediately, and also on the other side when she put it there. My Dr was trying extra hard to numb me this time and put in 3 or so more shots of lidocain. When I got home (Thurs) my face was horribly swollen. The whole front part, turning my nose upward all piggylike and cheeks puffed like a chipmunk all the way to my eyes. I think they put in too MUCh lidocain. It feels numb from cheek to upper lip still today sat its about the same. Im glad to hear that eventually this horror show will wear off. Im icing. VERY not cool. =(
I posted my horrendous experience here: http://www.realself.com/review/Scary-Dental-Block-reaction-prior-to-Restylane
KGB, CAN'T SEEM TO GET IN TO SEE YOUR HORRENDOUS EXPERIENCE... ANY HINTS?

Copying and pasting the link didn't work? Bummer. I will try again. http://www.realself.com/review/Scary-Dental-Block-reaction-prior-to-Restylane#comments

Edited by Sharon: I've changed this into a clickable link. Please let us know if you still have trouble.
Thanks Sharon.
Here's my scary experience: http://www.realself.com/review/Scary-Dental-Block-reaction-prior-to-Restylane#comment-47980
I am also an RN and had juvederm injected in my lips yesterday. The doctor is an experienced plastic surgeon who I have been to before for botox. I'm not sure which anesthetic she used to do the nerve block, but I immediately had swelling under my eyes all the way to my jaw line. The areas also felt tender. I expected this to be normal but woke up today still very puffy, sore, and numb. I can't go in public yet either. After researching online I have found others with the same complaints who were started on steroids to reduce the swelling. It is Saturday and I can't see the doctor until Monday. Ugggg!
I just have to say one more thing, I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT ANYONE, ESPECIALLY YOU HAYLEY, AN R.N. would let anyone other than an EXPERIENCED DR. inject your precious face. And to say you still needed even more product to make your lips even bigger is crazy. We are all getting full of vanity, myself included, and i'm afraid we are going to see some bad faces and lips pretty soon, since all these unqualified people are setting up shops at malls and even doing procedures one after the other at at-home parties... this is a medical procedure. would you let just anyone do a medical procedure on you? would you let anyone, other than the experienced dentist, give you your injection? WE ALL NEED TO THINK BEFORE WE ACT AND IT'S TOO LATE. CHOOSE EXPERIENCED DRS. NOT THE CHEAPEST OR MOST CONVENIENT.aLSO, even if they are doctors, they need to be experienced at these particular procedures. I have been seeing more and more drs. advertising that they do aesthetic procedures, and that's only b/c there are no insurance companies to deal with. In actuality, they have been rheumatologists, and anything else you can imagine. It doesn't matter how long you've been a rheumatologist, you haven't been doing this type of procedure. ASK THOSE QUESTIONS. HOW OFTEN DO YOU DO THIS AND ARE YOU A LICENSED OR HOPEFULLY BOARD CERTIFIED PHYSICIAN. AMEN.........
I had a horrendous experience like this, after a dental block pre-restylane, and my face swelled up and was paralyzed for weeks. It took about 2 months to regain full normalcy. I would love to show youpictures if anyone is interested. The Doctor blamed an allergy to the preservative in Lidocaine. I went to about 3 other doctors (neurologists, plastic surgeons) and they suspect the lidocaine was injected directly into a nerve. I'm still unclear as to what exactly happened. This was about 3 months ago and I am FINALLY back to normal. It was horrifying. I'd love to talk more about it if you guys are still around. I see this is an old post.
Hi KGB, i'm still around. That was a horrible experience and I know the feeling. However, I had the paralysis first from Bell's Palsy, which left a deep line/pull on the bad side and I had no line/nasolabial, on the other. The restylane with no numbing agents, ever, and I've had it about 5 times, did the trick and corrected the problem. These guys who are doing the treatments might be experienced in aesthetic procedures, hopefully, but they might not be as experienced in the injecting of numbing agents. I know for a fact b/c of my history, that injecting into nerves can cause paralysis, especially certain ones. I would never, ever get the lidocaine and it kills me to get anything when I go to the dds for fear of paralysis, which is now something you'll have to watch out for. I say this. If you really have to have your lips done, rather than just using one of the zillion plumpers on the market, then you better tough it out with no injection. Take a pill of some kind and go for it. There are pain killer pills which is alot better than more needles, you're getting enough of those. Heck, it's easier than 20 hours of labor and then exhausted, having a baby! Anything that is done correctly and quickly, you can handle. It's the procedures that take a very long time that are the killers, but don't take a chance like that again, i wouldn't. good luck... and yes, I would love to see pictures. if you respond/comment to me on this site, they will forward it to me.
You are right the Lidocaine was injected too deep into the nerve. The doctor will not admit that it was something that could of been prevented if the procedure was done properly, so instead they try and tell you that it is an allergic reaction and then give you cortisone. I had the cortisone it did not help. It takes a week or two for the swelling to go down and long time for the numbness to go away.
I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING AND I WOULD GO BACK TO THE DR. IMMEDIATELY. GOOD LUCK.
My lips look great, however I also have a lot of fluid around my jaw and chin. Is there anything that can make it go away quicker than 2 weeks!!?
I got Restylane two weeks ago exactly today. I went back and saw my doctor and he suggested manipulating the lips and massaging them to correct slight uneven-ness! It makes me nervous to think about people seeing me as "uneven." Has anyone had this happen to them? I need support!!!!
karen, this can happen, however its my belief that if asymmetry exists it is up to the injector to correct this at no charge.
first of all i know you can't be allergic to restylane so if you had allergic problem, it was the anesthetic. second i must say i have had restylane many times and never had any kind of pain or numbing medication ever. this is such a quick process, it's hardly worth the hassle and possible side effects. also, i'm sure you know not to take any kind of pain med containing asperin for about a week before, as that makes the red marks and bruises appear. and last, they misrepresent themselves when they say no one can tell and there are no marks and no down time. i always have some reddening and swelling just from the actual restylane injections, not numbing agents. you really cant get it just before a big event. i find you need at least a good week or more before face settles down and looks it's best. good luck.
Same thing to me.I can't believe to took so long to go away.I am icing like crazy,but need it to look normal tomorrow for a very important event,any ideas on how to hurry it along?
You might have an allergy to lidocaine- This sounds like it was not a reaction to restylane but the block. You should try using topical next time and have that sit on your face for about 30+ minutes. This won't deaden the area as much as the block but it definetly takes the bite out. Ask them to use lots of icing as well. This will allow you to keep getting your Restylane but you won't have to have the dental block. Also, dental blocks distort the face and actually puff it up, so thats why your lips and face always looks fuller after getting one. It is hard to get lips perfectly symmetrical using a block because of the distortion
I totally had the same reaction to the block, I was scared because I looked like the infamous lion lady after the block and my face was distorted for about a week. I need restalyne again but will ask to go with out the block and bear the pain.