Sculptura for Cheek Hollowing (Late 40s Male)

I am a male in my late 40s with serious hollowing...

I am a male in my late 40s with serious hollowing in my cheeks, I had the injection (one vial p/cheek) performed by my doctor approximately 10 days ago. The procedural experience was fine, I experienced no bruising but noticeable swelling which actually looked great! But my Dr. explained that it was temporary swelling and that in about 14 days I would look like my old self again (she was right)!!! And that in approximately 6 weeks the product would settle in and another procedure will be necessary.

My point of concern is that a third procedure will have to be performed to reach "ideal" results and in view of the cost of Sculptura it may be a waist of money. Other fillers give much better immidiate results(last up to 9 months)but are not long lasting as Sculptura claims to be (2 years). I would appreciate any feed back.

See below, you will find three update reports.

See below, you will find three update reports.

UPDATE 3 WEEKS POST 3rd TREATMENT: I waited three weeks to post since during the last (2nd) treatment I noticed some deflating between 2nd and 3rd weeks. I am happy with the results, I still have the marionett smile lines, but the hollowing has noticably decresed. We also injected some under the eyes no nodules but no serious improvement either. Would use Sculptra if I had to do it all over again? YES!
1861 anon: I honestly can't see why your doctor would even accept to inject a filler at such a young age!!! As Randall651 correctly points out the injections need to be at least 2 1/2 to 3 months apart. Sorry to say your doctor was out to make money on you without any regards to your age or needs. Randall: Glad to hear you are happy with results.
I am very young, under 25, and got Sculptra for a hollow area on my cheeks. I've had three injections Since May (it's now July). I can say th results are extremely minimal at best. I truly I hope I get more out of this as the months go on but I'm doubtful. I my opinion this was a gigantic waste of money.
Anon Many young people have Sculptra injections for acne scars or other post traumatic/infection reasons. Give your doc a chance. Go back and tell him/her that you are not yet satisfied. You may be surprised with the response. I hope so for you.
I am almost 70 and have been using Sculptra for five years now. I have had very good results. You have to be patient. You need to space the injections three months apart as opposed to the one month most doctors recommend. In Europe, where they have been using Sculptra for ten years, they recommend three months between injections (usually each sesssion is 2 vials). The skill of the doctor makes a huge difference. I am using a plastic surgeon with years of experience. I formerly used a dermatologist but this plastic surgeon is quite a bit better. Never let some assistant inject you. The doctors are greedy and try to make even more profit by off-loading injections to a nurse. Forget it. The stuff only costs them $300 a vial and they charge $1200 or more. For that kind of profit and maybe 30 minutes work they can do the work themselves or go elsewhere. My doctor has a patient who is 75. I expect to be using the product still. Otherwise you age very fast when the effects of the filler wear off. Your whole face looks sunken suddently.
Randall Nice comment. Being one of those you mentioned who used Scupltra abroad for 10 years I would tell you that you do not need to fear that your face will age suddenly and appear sunken at a later date. I have never seen such a thing with my 10 years of experience.
Toni123 Agreed that patients with more advanced problems should not think that one treatment will be enough for them. It is always hard to know how many treatments will be needed until the patient reaches their subjective point of satisfaction. It is all in the eye of the patient. Thanks
Jules, I appreciate your advice, which is on the money. I have seen slight improvement after my second injections....My complaint was (is) that doctors must inform patiants in advance that multiple procedures are an absolute must.
UPDATE THREE WEEKS POST SECOND TREATMENT: In a nut shell disappointed. Looked really nice until about a week ago and then the fullness disappeared! I have spent a considerable amount of money for VERY LITTLE RESULTS. My advice/opinion: If you are in your late thirties or early forties and need very little filling, Sculptra is a good product. For those in need of serious filling this product is a total waist of money and don't expect your doctor to tell you this since they will be laughing all the way to the bank!
You really need to be patient. I am in my fifties and I had my first Sculptra treatment back in January. I have just had my fourth treatment. It is a slow improvement, but definite improvement there is and its long lasting. I am very pleased so far. I'm told that it can take up to two months after final treatment for the full effect. After all its not a filler you are having injected. Its a collagen stimulant, your body has to produce the collage and for that it needs time.
Good advice Joedude
Definitely stay the course. I had my 2nd injection session after about 9 weeks since the first session this year. I had it done previously in years past. Everyone's body acts different. This session was 3 weeks ago and my face is getting fuller everyday. I am totally satisfied with what the product can do. I look healthier now than I did years ago. Full face. Remember that insurance may cover this procedure, it has for me, or if you have limited income, the company will help pay for the product, perhaps not the dr's fee.
As a physician who wants the best for his patients, I am thrilled to be able to offer my patients an alternative that will last for years. The result is not immediate.
Update: second set of injections done a couple of weeks ago, the intial puffiness has disappeared. There is slight overall improvement. Third injections will be necessary. Be aware that like me if you suffer from serious fat loss in your face, one or two set of injections WILL NOT be sufficient in achieving optimum result. Unfortunately most doctors may not initially tell you this.
Even if you feel that a third treatment may be needed in order to achieve your goal why should you consider it a waste of your money? Sometimes you need a little more paint to paint the house. The result is lasting. Enjoy it.
Update; 30 days passed since first injections. No visible signs of change! But no real cause for alarm either since the product works SLOWLY. Doctor recommended a time lapse of 6-8 weeks for the second treatment, therefore I will most likely have the second injections done within the next couple of weeks. At this point I am slightly dissapointed as to lack of results but remain hopeful. Will update later.
Joedude, thank you for your helpful reply. Just a couple of questions; how many vials did you use 5 years ago and what time lapse? Also, I thought this product was only approved about two years ago for use in united States, curious to know how your treatment was done 5 years ago. Thank you
I used 2 vials 5 years ago and at each interval. About 2 years ago it was given an new indication for cosmetic use, before it was for reconstructive procedures for due to health issues. I am know 5 weeks out from my last treatment and the results are excellent. 3 times with great results. It is a true volumizer and should be used as such.
I had it done about 5 years ago then about a 1.5 years ago and just had it done again. The treatment 5 years ago made a huge change. I am now just touching up for the aging process. It is totally worth it. It continues to improve for about 3 months. At 6 weeks you have a pretty good idea if you need another treatment. Sculptra does have a patient assistance program which can offset the price. There is a huge scale for offsetting the price. So definitely look into it. If you have insurance, they may cover it. I had it covered once. Be sure to use a very competent doctor. I used Dr Mest in LA area. I too am 47 and had severe hollowing 5 years ago. I am totally satisfied with this product. Cost was $1460 for 2 vials. It easily last 2 years. I have just touched up as the years passed. This is the truly only volumizing product for large areas like cheeks and temples and even under the eyes. I bruised somewhat. Ensure that you massage at least 3x a day for 5 days. I get in the shower and use Oil of Olay soap and massage vigorously for 5 minutes with soap and warm water. Questions, just ask.