14years out with No Weight Gain - Delaware, DE

I was 483Lbs by the time I was 21. I had known...

I was 483Lbs by the time I was 21. I had known that my weight gain was my fault and the other half my parents. I've always known I was an "eater" as well as an Emotional eater. I was denied by Medicaid in 2000 because back then the insurance company was getting away with not approving the surgery saying it was an "experimental" surgery. I fought for a year on my death bed to get the surgery approved. A year later, I won! I lost the requested 50lbs before surgery could be done. I had so many complications including flat-lining on the operating table. Once I came out of ICU, I was determined to beat the nay-sayers. I eventually went from 483lbs to 215lbs an kept it off for 14YEARS! I am humbled and greatful my surgeon seen me as a person and not a text book. I will continue to fight and I'm here to let people know, its never over. Be diligent, be positive(IT ACTUALLY WORKS) and when someone critizes your weight gain, use it as fuel to walk more, to eat less and live happy. Also I've learn to look at the back of every food I eat. Sometimes the smallest portions can be a down fall depending on the food. And NEVER CONSUME LIQUID SUGAR. No Sodas, No Regular fruit juices(there are light version and only drink the one serving), No Lattes, Caramel coffee, No Sugar Loaded Smoothies! I hope this helps and motivates with love. I can't wait to post my before and after. Here it goes:-D

Thanks for sharing! Your story is so inspirational and encouraging. I am slated to have mine after the first of the year and I am soooo nervous. There are a lot of people posting that have had problems or regained their weight. I am praying for positive outcomes and hoping I can do this.
You are such an inspiration! Well done! You truly are a star!
Thank you EstelleG! It was the best decision I could make. I even have a 9yr old that keeps me on my toes.
Dr.Iragua

Wonderful Doctor who not only made me his patient, he made me family. My mother had the surgery also 4years ago at the age of 54 she lost 110lbs(She has maintain her weight loss also, when she slips a little I'm right there to whip here into shape!) He saved our lives.