Deep FX AND Facelift at Same Time - Tampa, FL

Under general anesthesia I had a neck lift, brow...

Under general anesthesia I had a neck lift, brow lift, and Deep FX all over my face on January 14, 2008. I'm almost 54, youthful in many ways but had a LOT of lines/wrinkles in my cheeks, severe squint lines, jowls, wrinkly neck, and droopy, tired, sad appearance. I will from here on out just refer to what I believe were the benefits/cons of the Deep FX rather than the brow and neck lift (which look amazingly natural.) Because I was under anesthesia, the plastic surgeon was able to go much deeper/hotter with the laser.

My face is completely clear of lines and wrinkles, it is like a miracle. However, I am still very red/ruddy after more than a month since the procedure, and not only that it is very streaky/blotchy in color. I could not really go out in public without attracting attention if I didn't put on makeup, it is very noticeable. It also has a very shiny appearance -- and feels tight/dry, though that could be the result of the facelift. I keep slathering it with moisturizers to no avail. I saw my doctor today and he told me it will just take time, months, and I got the impression that it just cannot be predicted who will react this way. He recommended I start using Retin-A and a topical bleaching agent (Obagi Clear) to help the coloring go back to normal. He likened it to burning one's hand and a dark mark developing which eventually lightens. He cautioned me once again to avoid the sun. I have been always wearing 30SPF sunblock and a hat for my 20-minute walk daily. Other than that I have been inside always because I also had knee surgery so I am recovering from both and am housebound until now. I am thinking now I will wear 55SPF.

I read other people's descriptions of the week or so following the Deep FX and they sounded just like mine. It is a horrible sight to behold, you definitely don't want anyone but family around for at least a week and you have to put Aquaphor ointment on several times a day after washing your face, it's a greasy mess, your hair gets into the act, so you are not fit to be seen until at least a week. I do not remember experiencing any real pain or itching, but definitely swelling and discomfort, and had to sleep propped up on pillows while flat on my back.

I hope that I will soon get back my normal coloring so I can enjoy the benefits of no wrinkles and beautiful skin! I will rate the procedure "good" for now, and await the final outcome.

Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

I look very natural, everyone says, and 15-20 years younger, just unfortunate that I'm still very red and blotchy.

Wow...your 'after' looks great! Very natural...would've never guessed that you'd had anything done.
Hi! I hope yours turns out as well as mine did, or better! It took a looooong time for the redness to go away, like months!! I think that's probably unusual, tho, and hopefully yours will go away sooner. It's now been 2 1/2 years since I did it, and people who knew me before/after still marvel at the difference.
Thanks for your posts. I had Total FX done 1 week ago and am still very red, a little swollen, and have lots of pitting and uneven skin. Seeing your pictures encourages me that maybe things will turn out ok. I'm quite frightened that I might have made a mistake.
Oh my God, you look freakin FABULOUS. I am going to do the total FX which combines the deep Fx with another ablative laser next year when I am turning 54. I hope I get similar results. I don't care how much like crap I look and for how long if my skin looks like yours!!!
BTW, I forgot to ask - only $3,000.00 for FX, brow lift and neck lift? Or, was $3,000 just for FX? Here it is about $3,000 just for FX on entire face. I got a quote of $10,000 from a plastic surgeon just for neck lift, inclusive of some fat transfer and a small area of dermabrasion around the mouth.
The total was $13,258, and the breakdown was, as I recall, about $2500-$3000 of that was for the FX (laser). I think it was $3K alone, but in combo with the other two procedures it was reduced to $2500. Yes, the necklift was the most expensive part and probably responsible for the most change. I stayed pink and blotchy for a looong time, even 4 months later I still had some blotches, but it's all gone now.
Do you think that the neck lift was the key to your success? My impression is yes, without the neck lift,(a neck lift as I understand it - is a face lift which automatically tightens the skin). Based on my experience as well as reports of others, FX alone would not have given you this wonderful result. Do you agree? Just trying to gain insight. Thanks,
Wow,you look much younger. Thanks, this helped me so much. I need all that you had including a neck lift. Very encouraged by this. Thank you!
I don't know if you will make it back to this site but I just saw your photos and am blown away. Did you tell the others who requested the name of your doctor his name through their email address? I would gladly give you mine You could save a lot of work for me thanks, (April 8, 2009) Linda

{Edited - provider information has been added above the review. Thanks!}

Edited by Sharon
Revale skin Coffee berry night cream is great for the redness better than cortisone ect and doesn't thin skin..I use it during the day ... It was voted #1 night cream in allure best of beauty...I love it...Best antioxidants.... Thats why I buy the night and wear during the day My derm suggested for redness and day cream.... Not irritating like other creams very soothing..doesn't sting ect.....
how long were you red for? I had it done 2 weeks ago.I am worried about the redness.I didn't ooze or swell like you did.But had a similar look after the first week.I have been living in the aquafor.My doctor had another physician check in on me for my one post treatment and then when I went in a couple days a go for week two post treatment...I still looked really red...so they ordered me up some bleaching cream to use as well.So if you could give me a heads up I would appreciate it.I am a little worried right now.I don't have to work for another week but I am a photographer and have to press equipment against my face to get the job done.thanks for your time.
Duh I went back and reread your post sounds like you are doing the right things.....One thing I like that is very effective for dy skin is steam...You doctor may approve you to do some microderms they are gentle and can help speed things up... Good luck you look great.... Also the best thing I have found for truly covering dark areas is Derma blend it is high pigment so you must get the right color used correctly it doesn't looked caked on ect....
I'm not a fan of the fractional procedures and don't think the technology is there yet (technique or laser perfected) Try an strong retina a or Tazorac for peeling it helps with the discoloration...and surface texture ect..combined with 4% hydroquinone when your skin gets used to it keep using it and you may be the youngest looking 90 year old one day..LOL I love PCA pigment gel non hydroquinone..for dark spots and even full face..But get the 4% hydroquinone prescription to use at first on dark spots.And see haow you do Then try the PCA...or alternate Hydroquinone stops working after a while you have to take a break..Also it's controversial and not legal in some countries.. I personally think it is safe but it does stop working after a while..And the pca works as well if not better for me...with out the hydroquinone... If you are only going to spot treat the dark areas Tri-Luma is AMAZING it's a prescription that has the hydroquinone retina a and Fluocinide something a mild steriod (with long term use it can thin skin)...But in your situation for spot treating it is great and can give you a jumpstart if you are otherwise healed...It truly works fast.. Did you ask about the obagi system it is also very effective.... I like skincarerx because you can look for the best products by condition and read reviews....Your surgery looks great.... With the right products I think you will find resolution with the pigment issues.... Do you have white lines or indented areas or just the pigment.... Do not do Ipl...I had it after fraxel and it makes it worse... If your doc has a wood light he can tell you the type of melasma deep ect..
Who is your doctor? You are going to be very happy with your results.
Who is your Doctor? PLEASE email me!
Simply beautiful! You got amazing results. You are gorgeous and as other commenters have said, you look like a college student!! The post-procedure burns look really scary and painful, but thanks for posting them. It is so valuable to give people the full picture. Take care, Rosie
WOW....the after results are stunning!! You look so young....good for you :) It looks very painful...thanks for the pictures.
THANK YOU FOR POSTING YOUR PICTURES !!!!!! $3K for just DeepFX? Did the doc charge you once for anesthesia and then for each procedure a la carte? procedure price seems high if you paid in addition to plastic surgery fees. thank you. please email me: kdebias@ilamed.com. my father pioneered fractional CO2 ---- DeepFX is the product of him innovating ActiveFX. This is fantastic!!!
For neck lift, brow lift, and DeepFX I paid $13,258, including anesthesia, had it all done at once. I very much want to know what to expect re the redness with streaks and splotches that I still have 5 1/2 weeks later, is it every going to go away and if so, how long? And is there anything I can do to help?
OMG You look like a college student.... Great results!!!! You look stunning Did you get fat grafting,or did your face tighten that much?? You should post your doctors name under provider.... He did a great job.. Would you email me?? I would like to send a message and you didn't check the box to receive email...
To Awalk: No, I didn't get fat grafting. I appreciate everyone's positive comments, BUT my after picture is with makeup and is not showing the bad streaking/splotchy red coloring problem I'm having... does anybody have any advice on what to do and how long this is going to last? God forbid it's permanent! I'm getting scared!
Your results are amazing. Who is your doctor?
$3,000 (approx) was for the Deep FX, and the neck lift and brow lift brought the whole total to approximately $13,258, and I had it done January 2009 (not 2008). It is now 4 1/2 months later and I am still pink-ish, but main concern is blotches of pink/red including broken capillaries on my lower cheeks.
Dee, who did the neck and brow lifts?