My Life Has Been Extended! - Dayton, OH

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17 years of...

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17 years of age, I was 5'4", 145 pounds. Once I got married and started having children it really kicked in. By the age of 25 I was 200 pounds and continuing to gain, the weight caused me to be hypertensive, hyperlipidemic, hypothyroid and diabetic. After the birth of my 3rd child I became insulin dependent. I went to all sorts of physicians that just couldn't explain the weight gain. I ended up with the diagnosis of Dysmetabolic syndrome aka Syndrome X which is a endocrine related issue. All of my weight was not due to over eating but a under active thyroid and insulin resistance.

I tried everything to lose the weight to no avail. Finally went to an endocrinologist at the Cleveland Clinic who told me if I didn't get the weight off, I would have a cardiac event by 45. WHAT? I have 3 babies I need to be on this earth for. After reviewing my chart and health history she told me my only option was gastric bypass. I agreed, I had been so frustrated with the inability to lose weight but more with the fact that it wasn't me overeating or not taking care of myself it was just that my body had turned against me.

I had just turned 30 years old 2 weeks prior to my surgery. I had RNY performed and had some complications. I had an arterial bleed in my abdomen that went unnoticed for 2 days. My surgeon was ready to discharged me when he noticed I didn't look well. They did some labs and my H&H (hematocrit and hemoglobin) was a 3.8! They compared by blood to Kool Aid! I truly shouldn't be here! 3 units of transfused blood and a 6 day hospital stay in MICU later I am here and doing well.

There have been bumps along the road (kidney stones to be exact) but I have made it! I moved 3 months post op for a job that was 4 hours away. I lost my surgeon and no one wanted to see me in follow up as I was not their patient. After the kidney stones put me in the hospital due to sepsis my urologist was able to get the local surgeon to take me on. When I went for my first visit I had gained back 16 pounds from my lowest weight. I was so upset and mad at myself. I vowed I would get those 16 pounds back off. Well just followed up last March and guess what....I lost not only the 16 pounds I had gained but 8 additional pounds! I am so grateful for the opportunity that this surgery has given me not only to feel better but to be better! I will be here to see my babies grow up, go to college, get married and have children of their own.

This has also given me the opportunity to teach my children how to eat well, exercise and the importance of watching what you put into your body. I will continue on in this race to keep myself healthy!

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!

Congratulations on your weight loss, you look awesome and you've obviously worked really hard to get to where you are. Your babies are a great reason to make this work!

Dr. David Bruce

My surgeon was wonderful. He was great from the start and through the end. I hate that I am not able to follow with him anymore. He was a terrific surgeon and had great bedside manner which is so important.