Beware of Artefill Cheek Augmentation

In September of 2007 it was recommended to me that...

In September of 2007 it was recommended to me that I enhance my cheek and under-eye area with Artefill. I was told that it would give my face a lift, plump it up and create a more youthful appearance.

The first thing I noticed after the injections was, that my lower eye area looked more wrinkled due to the fact that my cheek was sticking out more.

It has been 2 1/2 years now and the Artefill has moved from my cheekbone area down to the area next to my nose and mouth, above the nasal labial fold. This increases my nasal labial folds as well as making the appearance of my cheeks look saggy, uneven and lumpy.

As a licensed medical esthetician and PhD in Bio Sciences who develops and manufactures skin care and chemical peel products, looking young is very important to me and my business. I have experienced with a treatment called Dermesonic Skin Rejuvenation which uses ultrasonic stimulation to move the artefill back into place. I have had 3 treatments so far and it is starting to look a lot tighter. It hasn't moved back all the way, but I think with some more treatment there is hope. I have 2 clients in my aesthetic practice who had the same cheek enhancement with Artefill and experienced the exact same migration. We are working with Dermesonic on correcting the issue, but spending more time and money on fixing it was certainly not anyone's intention when purchasing the already costly injections.

Artefill might be o.k. to use in the lips - mine are still in place as of today - but certainly keep it away from the face.

They should have researched the product and inform their patients about these long-term problems (which are well publicized as I know now) before recommending Artefill as well as offering alternatives.

Artefill does require some very specific injection techniques. As with all fillers, the use outside the nasolabial folds is "off-label".

Cheek enhancement is a popular procedure and you see almost all the fillers being used for this purpose. Radiesse seems to be one of the most popular for its longevity and immediate effect - but as a temporary product, it will eventually break down and go away. Artefill, once injected, is there to stay.

You certainly can get a "shelf-like" effect which can result in more dynamic wrinkling under they eyes if the product is injected too high and/or beneath a hollowed eye area which is left untreated. Placed too forward on the cheek will also accentuate nasolabial folds.

The results can often depend on the skill of the injector - an artistic eye makes a big difference and not all physicians who inject fillers have that training or instinct.

To properly compensate, some physicians will place a filler under the eye as well, to keep the transition smooth with no obvious "break" in the facial plane.

We all tend to lose a little fat under the eyes as we age, and some people are simply born with less natural fat in that area.

So, to treat only one area (as the cheek) and ignore the other (under eye hollowing), if a comparative deficiency exists, won't get you the appearance improvements you expected.

Artefill is frequently injected in gradual amounts over 2 to 3 sessions (depending on area treated) instead of a one-visit procedure. In that way, the patient can gauge how she/he likes the effects as they build.

I'm puzzled as to your remarks about Artefill migrating. Part of the mechanism of Artefill action is to integrate with your own collagen in the area injected. We all will continue to age, and a downward shift of even natural tissue is to be expected.

But your comments have spurred me to do some additional research. From my own practice, none of the patients we've injected with Artefill have had any migration issues, so I'm curious if perhaps your injections were not placed at the correct depth.

I'm certainly glad you were able to have some procedures which seem to have helped mitigate to some degree the unsatisfactory results you experienced.
Please tell who your Dr. was I live in your area in I am about to have Artefill~~~Thanks

Hello Johanna, this is Daniel Ronel MD (a plastic surgeon who uses Artefill)-- it sounds like it was a pretty bad experience for you and it also sounds like you have found a novel way to deal with it. I wish I could tell every Artefill injector how to avoid what happened to you. The product really should be placed just above the periosteum (the bone) so that it does not migrate. The lower eyelid is tiger territory because the tissue behaves very differently from tissue anywhere else in the face. Injections there should only be performed by very experienced people who understand the 3 dimensional anatomy of the lower eyelid. I've been fortunate enough to have injected about 200 cheeks and knock-on-wood have not had that problem because I hug the bone. I really do not want to sound arrogant here, but I think there are too many people injecting Artefill. Unfortunately, I do not have a simple solution for the consumer who wants to find out if their doctor knows how to do it well. In the right hands, it is really great stuff.