A Life-changing Event - Dallas, TX

I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy with Dr....

I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy with Dr. Manuel Castro in Dallas in 2009. I loved Dr. Castro. He is calm and serene, and most impressive to me, he was very upfront about the fact that there were cheaper procedures, but he wouldn't do them.

He thought I was too large to be successful with a lap band, and told me that he personally wouldn't do one on a patient of my size. I didn't want one, anyway, but I was impressed that he was more concerned with the outcome that the opportunity make the money.

He answers ALL my questions, and I felt both well-supported and well-prepared for the surgery.

Hi Kay, welcome!

Wow, you look awesome! You've definitley put the hard work in and are reaping the rewards!

If you don't mind sharing I'd love some more details on how your surgery and recovery was, how you dealt with diet/lifestyle changes and how much weight you've lost overall!

My gastric sleeve surgery was minimal -- it lasted less than an hour. In part because of the short surgery (42 minutes!), the recovery was easier. Less anesthesia, less time with the gas, etc. I had very few problems with recovery. Immediately following surgery, I had awful dry mouth. They wouldn't let me have water, and I was truly uncomfortable. Ultimately, though, they let me have some water, and things went better after that. My surgery was on a Friday, I was discharged from the hospital on Saturday, and Monday afternoon I was back at work. Now, it's important to know that I was the sole employee for a General Surgeon (he didn't do my procedure, but was VERY supportive). So I went to work, but I was expected to take it easy. I also had quality medical care available immediately were anything to go wrong. One thing I had that I loved was the On-Cue pain ball. It's an external plastic pain pump, filled with something comparable to Novacaine (like your dentist uses). The pump had two very long, very thin tubes attached, and it delivered the pain meds throughout my surgical area for several days after surgery. This was the ONLY pain medicine I had -- I declined the offer of Hydrocodone, both in the hospital and the prescription to take home. The food was different at first -- just getting used to the amount I could eat and what was allowed at different times. Now, three years later, it's second nature. I automatically look for things with protein, and prefer small portions. I started the journey at 317 pounds, and went into the hospital for my lower body lift at 152 pounds. This morning I weighed in at 138, making about 180 pounds that I have lost over the course of this journey. I'm viewing this as a lifestyle change, and never as a diet. If I go to a luncheon and they serve cake, I may have a half a piece. I MAY peel the frosting off the top and just eat that, and not waste calories on cake. But I also will probably then go do another 45 minutes on the treadmill, too.... In other words -- everything in moderation, including moderation.

Thanks so much for your update. It sounds like you're doing everything right and it obviously shows in your weight loss! You look happy and healthy.

You went back to work earlier than I expected, but at least you had good medical care on hand, should you have needed it! The pain ball also sounds like a god send!

Manuel Castro

Dr. Castro was recommended by a general surgeon, after that general surgeon had done some research on the best person to do it.