A Long Road to Straight Teeth - Dallas, TX

I found this site researching how long I will have...

I found this site researching how long I will have to wear my retainers. It was a long and difficult process for me. My dentist (NOT and orthodontist) had personal problems and was out several months during my treatments. I hate to tell you this, but I was in Invisalign to 3 1/2 YEARS. I had 4 refinements which took months to get the new trays from Invisalign. If I had it to do over again, I would go to an orthodontist. I really needed to be in conventional braces to get the perfect result I wanted. I had waited a long time to get straight teeth (waited until kids were grown) and they are not perfect. To me it was painful and a hassle, but I was I very compliant patient. My biggest piece of advice is to go to an ORTHODONTIST before you decide on Invisalign. Only then can you make an informed decision. General dentists do not know enough in my opinion to give you a good picture of what the outcome will be. Oh and I just found out I will be sleeping in these retainers for the rest of my life if I want my teeth to stay straight.

additional photos

It probably won't make you feel any better, but I went to an orthodontist for some very mild problems, went with Invisalign, and got good results, but I still need to wear a retainer every night for the rest of my life.  And my jaw got wonky so I'm seriously considering doing bonded retainers so my jaw doesn't have to keep resetting every morning and night.  Your teeth look great, but I can see the open bite.  Usually you can't fix a skeletal open bite with braces, which is probably why your dentist recommended jaw surgery.  I wouldn't go with that option either!

Your results are pretty darn good if you ask me!! Nice smile!! I don't think I will get perfect results from my invisalign. My teeth just aren't pretty, even as they straighten out! I went to a cosmetic dentist for s different reason and agreed to Invisalign (not a hard sell.) At the time I had no knowledge about invisalign AT ALL. In hindsight, I wish I had done more research before agreeing but so far I have had decent progress. I have some other dental work that will be done when I am done straightening. I hope I have a pretty smile after all of this work!!
Hi Michelle. Thanks for the complement. I did zero research too. When I finally went to an orthodontist to decide if I would continue in Invisalign (yuck), go into braces, or just be done with it, he told me that if I wanted perfection I would have to have jaw surgery and traditional braces. I nixed the surgery. No way. I am, however, left with an open bite on the right side. My teeth are straight, the jaw teeth just don't touch on my right side!!!! I always chew on the left. With traditional braces they can get closer to closing the bite. I just felt like I was too old and had been through too much to do all that. My teeth are much better than they were. I think many of the problems were because I had an inexperienced dentist. I decided that they were straight enough and better than before so I am basically happy, I just think it took so much longer than it had to.