21 Year Old Nursing Student, No Kids, Breast Red. Needed - Dallas, TX

I am 21 years old. I am in nursing school. I've...

I am 21 years old. I am in nursing school. I've wanted a breast reduction for a while, but I actually looked into it more this semester because of the strenuous activity I was having to do during school. My back and neck give me pain constantly. At the end of the day, I have the worst headache that I'll come home, do any homework, shower in complete darkness and go right to bed. I had my consultation with Dr. Meade in March. He was wonderful. He gathered all necessary measurements and information. His office sent over a pre-authorization letter to my insurance; United Healthcare Choice Plus. I've called my insurance company several times. Each representative has told me that I was approved and the letter is on its way in the mail. I have yet to receive the letter, so I am patiently waiting. God's speed!
Howdy Fellow Texan! Welcome to the club! I had my BR 10 days ago and so far so good! Check my reviews for details on the process and healing. You may also find The Forum is very helpful, informative and supportive. Keep us posted!

Surgery in SIX days

Insurance company finally approved me. It was actually an easy process. I'm set for surgery this coming up Thursday, May 15. I'm so nervous. I'm having doubts and thoughts that I shouldn't go through with it; that I should just continue to live with my big breasts. Hopefully, my nerves calm down. I'm excited to see the end results, but again I'm very nervous.
read plenty of reviews, including mine which covers a normal, easy recovery.
We are here holding your hand! I hope everything goes well and rest a lot after surgery. Fluids, Jello, and sleep. Like peediewife said, read lots of reviews so you know what to expect. Good luck!!!
Thank you. Your review was very helpful.

Two days

Surgery is in two days. As time gets closer, some of my family and close friends are telling me that I shouldn't go through with it. They say that I'm too young to have this surgery and I should try an alternate option. Some went as far as saying there's a fifty percent chance I don't wake up from the surgery. I was already very nervous. So of course I'm even more nervous. They have me second guessing. But I really want this; I need this.
PW is right, there are no alternatives. This is something you have to be really sure of though, emphasis on YOU. Try to put all others' opinions and ideas out of your head, because noone knows better than you how you feel, and noone knows better than your surgeon about the procedure. If you concentrate on the facts your surgeon has given you, and your own feelings, put those together and you have your answer! Just my opinion to ignore at will ;)
Thank you!
how can people talk so much rubbish, you have more chance of being knocked down by a car every day than from having problems with the anaesthetic. are these relatives also large breasted and therefore jealous that you are having this surgery. And there are no alternatives......there is no way to reduce the size of large breasts other than surgery. take no notice of them and puck the right people to be around you when you are recovering. good luck

Surgery was this morning

I'm finally up to write an update. I arrived at the surgery facility at 6:15. I was so nervous. I had to urinate so many times. I registered, had pre-op with my PS and met with the anesthesiologist; that's all I remember!!!! My breast are everything I could ask for. My PS said surgery went very well. The charge nurse informed me that it was really difficult to wake me up, scary thought, but thank God I did wake up! After being moved from recovery to discharge, I had to urinate on my own and keep down a granola and a small thing of Apple juice. I "mastered" both rather quickly and was released from the surgery center in least than 30 mins. The ride home wasn't bad with a pillow for cushion. I took a nap soon after I arrived home. My throat is really sore and has started to secrete phlegm which I'm sure is the result of the breathing tube. It's annoying. I'm not in any excruciating pain as far as my breast. It is really manageable. My family stopped by and I actually enjoyed their company. I'm getting really tired. I'm going to sleep. Will update pictures soon. Thank you all for helping settle my nerves and the kind words!
Congratulations! You are so brave, I mean that. Wish I had had the courage of my convictions and done this at your age, especially when people round you are not encouraging of it. I am impressed! You will already be getting the idea that noone regrets this surgery, so onwards and upwards from now on. (I also had the phlegm from the tube, and was quite wheezy, with some nose bleeding, forgot to mention that in my review - I was worried about it for a bit, but it all went away in a few days)
WELCOME to the Other Side ! REMEMBER ..... to MAKE SURE to get LOTS OF REST !
you did it! You are going to be so happy with the outcome. Congrats!

1 Day post

I've been sleeping off and on all day. My PS told me that I could shower today and I did. Here's a not so great before/after picture. I will take better ones when I'm feeling up to it. Thanks again to all the kind words and encouragement.
Would love to see more pics and hear how you're doing! My surgery is this Friday!
wow, you look great
I actually work for an insurance company and previously worked in authorizations. I never even had to get a referral from a pcp. What theyre really looking for when they say this is that they want to make sure you've tried other forms of pain management by a professional. As for me, they accepted my years of massage therapy, paid for out of pocket of course but it was, in my opinion, the most enjoyable way to go about it lol. They usually also want to see that other causes of pain (slipped disk, pinched nerve or other neurological problems) have been dismissed. This could easily be resolved by submitting Xrays of your neck/back and having the dr write up that there is nothing wrong with you in that area. Of course they also want to make sure that your breasts are too large and there is a scale that most insurance companies go by called the Schnur Sliding scale. If the doctor doesn't say that they're going to take out at least THIS MUCH, then the insurance company won't feel like the surgery is really going to be that helpful. Hope this helps!

4 days post

I just haven't been feeling well at all. Today I am four days post and I feel horrible. My head and stomach hurts. I've stopped the painkillers altogether. I've only been taking Tylenol for pain. Hopefully, I will feel better soon. Again, I will post pics once I actually can get out of my recliner longer than just to shower.
You look absolutely gorgeous!!! I definitely think this was the right surgery for you :) Mine is in 9 days, I'm 22 and am being told by people that I should find alternate ways instead of surgery. But my closer friends and family are like take those girls off!!! They all know how much of a pain they are ... I really hope you feel better and that they heal up nicely! They look great so far, well done to your surgeon and well done to you for pushing through and doing what you felt was best!
yep, if you feel awful and your stomach hurts, chances are that it is side effects of the meds and you would be better off without them, if you are on antibiotics be sure to take them with food. hope you feel better soon
I bet once the meds are out of your system, you will feel lots better!

5 days post

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! I'm feeling better after I stopped taking the meds, but I'm still very bloated. My stomach feels so tight. Hopefully, this will pass also. I think my breast are healing properly. I don't have pain, but slight soreness. I return to my PS for my follow up this Friday. I'm happy so far. Here's some pictures. I'm not the best picture taker!
wow, you look gorgeous, superb result
You look great. Happy healing!
Wow! You look GREAT!! I'm about your "before" size and can only hope to come out as small as you are now! 3 days!

Healing well

I just received the worst comment ever from someone close to me. They said to me, "You messed yourself over. You look like a flat chested little boy." If I wasn't content with myself, this comment would have broke me down. But I'm happy. I think I made the right decision for myself. I just wanted to share this to encourage others who may experience negative feedback. Follow your heart and do what's best for you. Everyone may not be welcoming to the new you. I'm learning that now! Honestly, you guys have been my biggest support throughout my journey. But anyway I'm feeling great and healing well. Thanks again everyone.
You look very proportionate. Congrats!
This helped me tremendously. I have been considering getting a breast reduction for some time now because mine are a size 38 DD and causing neck, back, shoulder, and chest pain from the weight of them. Hopefully I have the same luck with my insurance.
You look great! The size fits you perfectly. What cup size do you think you are now. I hope my results are as great as yours!!