First Fill of my Tissue Expanders on April 3, 2014 – Dallas, TX

Exactly 30 days out of a double mastectomy to due...

Exactly 30 days out of a double mastectomy to due to DCIS, which had spread quickly per the pathology, and after every medical professional said I only had atypical hyperplasia until after my lumpectomy and the cancer was found and even the surgeon was shocked, I cringe when I think what would have happened if I had waited any longer. The surgeon thinks the outcome would have been much different so I am blessed and grateful to have found it when I did.

Now to Dr. Meade. He, by far, is the most compassionate, caring and sensitive plastic surgeon I ever could have imagined. I left my initial consultation feeling a lot better about my situation because he told me I was going to look better than I already did. Today was my first fill and even though I waited in the waiting room for over an hour, I didn't care because I knew once I got in the exam room he would spend as much time with me as he was with the patients in the exam rooms before me. Dr. Meade does not look at his watch. He will sit and answer questions without making me feel rushed and that means the world to me. To the fill - it was completely pain free and I walked out the equivalent of a C cup and he said that since my muscle had already been removed from the chest wall due to prior implants that the pain would be minimal at best and it was until I woke up at 2:30am not being able to take deep breaths without pain. I know this is a necessary evil and will only last a couple of days. I am halfway through my treatment with Dr. Meade and I have every confidence that he will deliver what he promised. He told me not to look at them now and think that's what they will look like after the exchange to the silicone implants because he will push them more together, up and whatever else is needed to make me look great. I walked out of there after my first fill today as pretty much a C cup, which is bigger than I was even after my first set of implants almost 10 years ago. He filled a bit immediately after the double mastectomy and I didn't come out flat from that which also made me happy. I go back in 2 weeks to get what will probably be my last fill because I don't want to go any bigger than a D but it's totally my choice so we'll see! I just woke up in some pretty significant pain almost worse than the mastectomy but as long as I don't lie down, I'm pain free. I have absolutely no regrets doing the mastectomy or for choosing Dr. Meade as my plastic surgeon. For breast reconstruction in the Dallas area there are no better surgeons as far as I am concerned. Although he performs all the other usual cosmetic surgeries, reconstruction is his passion and it shows. I think within 2 months I will be done and I'm so excited for the final product that I can't take the waiting! I could do without this pain right now but it's just a normal part of the process. I have so much hope and strength that I never thought possible and that's because of Dr. Meade. I will try to come back and update when I'm done. If you need reconstructive breast surgery in the Dallas area, definitely make Dr. Meade your first stop. I can only give him 5 stars but he's more like 20 stars.
I'm also glad you addressed your situation quickly. Good for you! I agree, if you like and trust a doctor enough, the wait for his/her time is worth it.

From what I've read, the fills seem to be the most painful part of the process. Let us know how your next fill goes...we'll be thinking of you!
I had my exchange surgery on May 19, 2014 and besides having horrific pain upon waking from anesthesia, so far I am happy with my results. They appear smaller than what I imagined, but having had implants prior to cancer I know that it takes a couple of months to see what the final result will look like. I was in surgery for more than 3 hours and Dr. Meade took his time with me so make sure I came out with the best result possible. I also had a non-healing wound around my areola which had to be fixed at the same time as well and I expected somewhat of a deformity and it is a lot less than what I imagined. I'm looking forward for the healing to be complete to know exactly what size I will be after the 600cc textured silicone implant that was placed. I had bottomed out with the expanders and any kind of bottoming out is no longer evident at all. I do have one drain right now which I expect to have removed next week and I am being very careful not to overdo it so I can heal as best as I can because so far I am liking what I am seeing. Right now, I appear to be a bit smaller than I was before the mastectomy, so I'm hoping they "fluff" a little in the coming months. I am as happy with my decision to go with Dr. Meade today as I was the very first time I saw him.
I'm glad your earlier implant experience gives you the insight that it takes some time to see your final results. What type and size implants did you get 10 years ago? I'm really curious as to how you the cancer was detected? A lum during a self-exam or routine check-up? I'm happy your doctor could attend to the wound around your areola. Sounds like it will heal nicely. Fingers crossed that you'll hit a D cup with the 600cc implant. Did you get your drain out yet? Continue to take it easy if you can!
Dallas Plastic Surgeon