Only Three Days -- but I'm Thrilled So Far - Dallas, TX

I lost 175 pounds following a gastric sleeve, and...

I lost 175 pounds following a gastric sleeve, and had significant amounts of loose skin. Dr. Kenkel did a lower body lift and breast lift on Wednesday morning. It is now Saturday, and I'm THRILLED with the results, the surgical team he put together, the care at the hospital, the pain management, and everything else. He was patient with lots of questions, and I couldn't be happier.

Three weeks post-op, and still doing far better...

Three weeks post-op, and still doing far better than expected. I've not needed narcotics for two weeks, and no OTC pain meds for a week. Keeping up with protein -- LOTS of protein -- has helped enormously. I tire VERY easily, and need 12-16 hours/day of bed rest. But I'm managing on my own for the most part.

OK, about 7 weeks out now. STILL really happy,...

OK, about 7 weeks out now. STILL really happy, and back to a full load of activities. Spent 5 days at a training class in California, got back last night, and now I'll spend a week with a client in the Dallas area. I'm still very swollen, especially in my thighs, but my doctor has been pretty good about renewing diuretics prescriptions when asked. I'm still really pushing protein, and trying to get lots of rest. I have started running some, and hope to begin with weights again in the next week or so.
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

Dr Kenkel was recommended by another nationally-known surgeon in dealing with body contouring after massive weight loss. Loved everything except the process of paying -- and that was UT Southwestern's weirdness, and not his. (They made me fill out a form rather than just swiping the credit card. I don't like having my credit card numbers floating around.)

I am having my belt lipectomy tomorrow morning after losing over 200 pounds the last 5 years. I am so scared and nervous. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Belle -- I was traveling yesterday, and didn't get a chance to respond. But I wish you the VERY best of luck with your surgery today. My advice is to do EVERYTHING that your doctor tells you, and if you can, do more. I walked more (both in terms of number of walks and length) than he required. I got the amount of protein he required, but did it a bit longer (I'm STILL pushing protein 2.5 months out). Take clothes that button in front to leave the hospital in. If you drink your protein, take some shakes to the hospital with you. For the first two or three days, I did nothing but protein shakes. When you get home and he lets you transition back to spanx, etc. for compression, cut the crotch out of them. That way you don't irritate your scar/stitches when you have to go to the bathroom. GOOD LUCK! Let me know how it goes.
How's it going? Are you thrilled with your results? How about that swelling? I was thinking about flying soon, it sounds like you have been traveling. Any tips? Or pictures to share?
Hi Serpent -- I'm still THRILLED with my results. I'm still swollen, and may continue to be for a while, but it's not terrible. I also still have one small (less than 2-inches) open area on my incision, where a stitch worked its way out, and where I had some fat necrosis that had to be cut open and allowed to drain. I'm wearing spanx all the time, but cut the crotch out of them so I don't have to pull them up and down over my incision. I've largely been a travelling fool since surgery. A month out I drove (5 hours) to San Antonio with a friend. (She drove, I rode.) We went down one day, spent the night, and came back the next day. That was hard, because it made me so tired. In hindsight, I should have flown for that trip.... Two weeks later, I flew from Texas to California. The doc said that if I felt up to it, I could do it. He also suggested a walk up and down the aisle of the plane every hour or so, which I did. I was in California for a training class, and I told the instructors that I needed to be at the back, and would occasionally get up and walk around during the classes. If I didn't get up every hour or so, I tended to get real stiff, and it felt like my incision was pulling a bit. I don't know if it was the plane ride, the food, or what, but I had HORRIBLE swelling in California. I'm leaving for Albuquerque in a couple of days (flying), and then a driving trip to Houston. So I'm continuing to travel. My best tip is the protein. I'm still really pushing protein -- about 100-120 grams/day. I'm also continuing to wear my compression garments (spanx and a snug bra) almost all the time -- including when I sleep. I figure as much support as I can give my new body is a good thing. Finally, if I'm tired, I'll take a nap or rest for a while. I keep reminding myself that the surgery was a HUGE insult (medically speaking) to my body, and that I really don't have to be 100% two months out. I'll try to post a couple of pictures... I think I have some from the California trip.
Thank you so much for responding. Younsure are a busy lady and you look awesome. I feel way better about flying back to my one month post op...I'll have just one day and two, 1 hour flights seem easier than 9-10 hours of driving... Your story is very encouraging. I'm so glad I did this too! I took two weeks away with my hubby and jump backed into real life this week, but my dear sweet friend is cooking for my family each evening, because I am a bit worn out by the days end. This means cooking for 9-12 people nightly, unless extras stop by (her reputation is widely known...lol) I feel very blessed to have such good helping friends and family. It makes all the difference. I'll keep the protein going.
Kay, thanks for sharing your story. It's very encouraging to see you up and around. I have a month to go before mine, but I paid for it yesterday...and yes that prt is pretty painful, yikes! There are not a lot of body lift reviews, I really appreciate Yours. I hope your recovery continues to get better & better. Your bravery is to be commended. Did you stay in the hospital for a night or two?
Hi Serpent, The way they did it where I was was that the surgery was done in the Outpatient Surgery Center, but then they wanted you to stay in their "guest suites" for two nights afterward. This was actually a great thing. Since it is used primarily for plastics patients, everyone is a "well patient" and there were fewer concerns about nasty germs that float around in hospitals. The room was more like a hotel suite, with a full size bed for someone to stay with me (and I was REQUIRED to have someone stay with me -- but it could be a friend or family member). There were 24-hour nurses there, as well. It had its own fridge, so I took lots of protein shakes which my family or the nurse could just hand me, ready to go. That was a GREAT benefit. I would encourage you to stay in the hospital for a couple of nights, even if there isn't a well-patient recovery model like I had. The pain is the worst the first couple of days, and that is when complications would be most likely to arise. Feel free to let me know about any other questions.... I'm a great believer in paying it forward with this kind of help!

Hi Kay, welcome and thanks for sharing your journey with us.

I'm glad your surgery went well and congratulations on your weight loss, that's a huge achievement!

Once you're feeling up to, I'd love to read more about your surgery and recovery process!