Only Three Days -- but I'm Thrilled So Far - Dallas, TX

I lost 175 pounds following a gastric sleeve, and...

I lost 175 pounds following a gastric sleeve, and had significant amounts of loose skin. Dr. Kenkel did a lower body lift and breast lift on Wednesday morning. It is now Saturday, and I'm THRILLED with the results, the surgical team he put together, the care at the hospital, the pain management, and everything else. He was patient with lots of questions, and I couldn't be happier.

Hi Kay, welcome and thanks for sharing your journey with us.

I'm glad your surgery went well and congratulations on your weight loss, that's a huge achievement!

Once you're feeling up to, I'd love to read more about your surgery and recovery process!

Three weeks post-op, and still doing far better...

Three weeks post-op, and still doing far better than expected. I've not needed narcotics for two weeks, and no OTC pain meds for a week. Keeping up with protein -- LOTS of protein -- has helped enormously. I tire VERY easily, and need 12-16 hours/day of bed rest. But I'm managing on my own for the most part.

Kay, thanks for sharing your story. It's very encouraging to see you up and around. I have a month to go before mine, but I paid for it yesterday...and yes that prt is pretty painful, yikes! There are not a lot of body lift reviews, I really appreciate Yours. I hope your recovery continues to get better & better. Your bravery is to be commended. Did you stay in the hospital for a night or two?
Hi Serpent, The way they did it where I was was that the surgery was done in the Outpatient Surgery Center, but then they wanted you to stay in their "guest suites" for two nights afterward. This was actually a great thing. Since it is used primarily for plastics patients, everyone is a "well patient" and there were fewer concerns about nasty germs that float around in hospitals. The room was more like a hotel suite, with a full size bed for someone to stay with me (and I was REQUIRED to have someone stay with me -- but it could be a friend or family member). There were 24-hour nurses there, as well. It had its own fridge, so I took lots of protein shakes which my family or the nurse could just hand me, ready to go. That was a GREAT benefit. I would encourage you to stay in the hospital for a couple of nights, even if there isn't a well-patient recovery model like I had. The pain is the worst the first couple of days, and that is when complications would be most likely to arise. Feel free to let me know about any other questions.... I'm a great believer in paying it forward with this kind of help!

OK, about 7 weeks out now. STILL really happy,...

OK, about 7 weeks out now. STILL really happy, and back to a full load of activities. Spent 5 days at a training class in California, got back last night, and now I'll spend a week with a client in the Dallas area. I'm still very swollen, especially in my thighs, but my doctor has been pretty good about renewing diuretics prescriptions when asked. I'm still really pushing protein, and trying to get lots of rest. I have started running some, and hope to begin with weights again in the next week or so.

I am having my belt lipectomy tomorrow morning after losing over 200 pounds the last 5 years. I am so scared and nervous. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Belle -- I was traveling yesterday, and didn't get a chance to respond. But I wish you the VERY best of luck with your surgery today. My advice is to do EVERYTHING that your doctor tells you, and if you can, do more. I walked more (both in terms of number of walks and length) than he required. I got the amount of protein he required, but did it a bit longer (I'm STILL pushing protein 2.5 months out). Take clothes that button in front to leave the hospital in. If you drink your protein, take some shakes to the hospital with you. For the first two or three days, I did nothing but protein shakes. When you get home and he lets you transition back to spanx, etc. for compression, cut the crotch out of them. That way you don't irritate your scar/stitches when you have to go to the bathroom. GOOD LUCK! Let me know how it goes.
How's it going? Are you thrilled with your results? How about that swelling? I was thinking about flying soon, it sounds like you have been traveling. Any tips? Or pictures to share?
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

Dr Kenkel was recommended by another nationally-known surgeon in dealing with body contouring after massive weight loss. Loved everything except the process of paying -- and that was UT Southwestern's weirdness, and not his. (They made me fill out a form rather than just swiping the credit card. I don't like having my credit card numbers floating around.)