Eyebrow Nightmare - Dallas, TX

I went in August to get permanent eyeliner and...

I went in August to get permanent eyeliner and eyebrow. I frankly did not do a lot of research, and based on the fact that she has been in business for several years, I thought I would be safe. This was a mistake and I am paying for it now. I am in the middle of having painful, expensive treatments to remove extremely black and ineptly applied eyebrow tattoos.

When I came in to have the procedure done, Ms. C asked me if I wanted to draw the eyebrows on myself, or have her do it. I am not a makeup expert, so I asked her to do it. She drew the eyebrows on me with a medium brown pencil (she did not ask me what color I wanted). They looked okay, but I told her I wanted them to be lighter. She agreed that she would make the final brows a lighter shade, but didn't offer to re-draw the brows in that shade so I could see it. I thought that was rather odd, but at this point I was still trusting and just assumed that she knew what she was doing. Only when she completely finished the brows did she give me a mirror. What I saw made me horrified. The brows were jet black, and were pointing up at an unnatural angle. However she assured me that they would lighten up, and since my eyes were very swollen, I was hoping the shape would become normal when the swelling went down. As the days went by, I began to realize how bad it really was. As the brows healed, I could see that they were so crudely applied that they looked like they had been drawn on by a child.

Pictures don't lie. To see for yourself what my brows looked like three full weeks after the procedure, look at the pictures I have loaded here

I asked Ms. C for compensation to help me offset the costs I have incurred for the removal procedures. She refused, and did not even offered to give me back the $600.00 I paid for the original work. The only thing she offered was to try to 'fix' it. Normally I would be agreeable to something like this, but due to the complete incompetence of the original procedure, I could not risk letting her work on me again.

If you are reading this because you are considering having permanent cosmetics done to you, please do not make the same mistake I made. Do a lot of research before you make this decision. Don't go to someone based on a few good online reviews, those could be put there by their family members. Ask to look at a lot of "before" and "after" pictures. If the business does not have its own website with pictures of their work, be suspicious. If they don't even take any "before" pictures before starting to work on you, run! Do not think that just because someone has a license to apply permanent makeup, that they are good at it. The licenses are meaningless. Anyone can get one by taking a two-day class and paying some money. Even if they have been in business for a long time, it may be that they do mostly other things like dermabrasion, that don't take as much skill. Take your time to find the right person. There are a lot of good technicians out there, just don't assume they are all the same. Do your research and get it done right the first time.

Updated photos with correct captions.

Updated photos with correct captions.

Kaysea's Permanent Cosmetics

Horrible!

oh my goodness, I have seen a lot of bad permanent make-up, but I've never seen any this bad. Don't worry though, there is a way to fix this, don't be sad honey. Call me or email me, I will help you with this, I have fixed a lot of permanent make-up screw ups. RuthSwissa.com or email me at info@ruthswissa.com or even give us a call at 818.735.8818
I had eyeliner & instancely they were swollen painful & infected straight away. The lady had her dog running in & out of the room it was all performed in her house /new but not a clinic. She is a fly by night operater & I should not have let her touch me. She kept saying if it doesnt take come back so that made me think she doesnt know what shes even doing. As it turns out within a week of doing it, the eyeliner all disappeared of my eyes due to infection. Ladies just buy your makeup as tatooing is dangerous end of story.
What the business or person that did this. I was thinking about trying out a place in Dallas
Kaysea's Permanent Cosmetics
Dear 8212 Anon,

I am now going to a Cosmetic Makeup professional whom I genuinely trust, partly because a very meticulous plastic surgeon I trust recommended her (although don't trust all plastic surgeons to recommend you to someone good because surgeons themselves don't usually seem to know much if anything about quality Permanent Makeup. But right now the focus is on removing my old eyebrow tattoos, which have turned orangy as they faded over the past 7 years. She uses Magnesium Oxide to 'tattoo out' bad-looking brows. However, she has cautioned me that the results of my tattoo removal may not be that good in my case since I previously had them lasered and because they were old. What's important for you to know: THE SOONER YOU HAVE YOUR EYEBROWS REMOVED WITH MG02, THE BETTER--so don't waste any time pursuing getting your bad eyebrows removed. This makeup artist that I like has an office in Doylestown PA. I'll keep you all posted as to how the removal goes.
I have an art background which is why I decided to do permanent makeup after retiring from teaching. I would never do eyebrows from stencils. There are many really good practitioners in this business and many really bad ones. Strange that a plastic surgeon would recommend a person lacking both skill and talent. If you decide to do it again, get a consultation first and ask to see plenty of pictures of the practitioners work. You decide if you like the shape and color before it is tattooed.
I'm truecolors, who wrote a comment here on Dec. 7, 2010, about my bad permanent makeup job. Just to add: One thing I didn't realize until after the fact was that the tattooist, who gave me 3 pairs of eyebrow stencils to look at and choose from beforehand, did not pick those 3 sets of eyebrows out of 100s because she thought they were the ones best suited to my face. Instead she used a pre-purchased $10 kit that's sold online to licensed tattooists, which only has 3 pairs of eyebrow stencils in it to begin with! I still can't believe that any cosmetic surgeon would recommend a tattooist who didn't shape the eyebrows to the face, who didn't have an eye for what was flattering to a person--who would do low class, low quality work, using a cheap 3-pairs-stencils kit! READ THE BOOK, "BEAUTIFUL BROWS: The Ultimate Guide to Styling, Shaping, and Maintaining Your Eyebrows,: by Nancy Parker and Nancy Kalish.
WOW, I am so sorry....that is truly some of the worst work i have ever seen...and I do permanent makeup correction for a living so I get to see some fairly horrible stuff.
I know its little consolation now but the consultation which includes drawing your eyebrows should take at least an hour.
Your eyebrows are in the wrong place, your face needs to be measured to get the eyebrows in the perfect position, then, we go in and draw a shape, sometime a different shape on each side to see which one you like better.... then we fine tune the shape, then we take a picture and show it to you to make sure you like the shape. THEN we pick the colour depending on your skin type...... Then we discuss the technique, the look that you want, natural hairstroke, powdered, block etc etc etc THEN we show you the needle we will be using and only THEN do we go in and tattoo!
It is OUR JOB to draw the perfect eyebrow on YOU and work with it until you are happy!
A good technitian will have a large portfolio both on our website and on our cameras from taking pictures of clients. I often pull out my camera to show people work that I have only just completed.....
Im in the UK so I dont think I will be able to help you repair the damage (unles you come here on vacation) but Im happy to talk to you and advise you. My website is www.dermaeraze.co.uk and you can email me on info@dermaeraze.co.uk
My heart goes out to you. You're right, you can't trust a permanent makeup tattooist just because she's been recommended to you. That happened to me, too. I now look like Cruella Deville (from 101 Dalmations). When I went back to the tattooist (who was recommended to me by a cosmetic surgeon--it turns out it was a financial arrangement between them, had nothing to do with 'good work') and complained, she said, "Then why did you agree to it when I did it in pencil ahead of time?" That's the danger with "TRUST"--you figure they know more than you do about 'good shapes.' That's also the danger with "FLAT MIRRORS" in front of you--it's not until you get out in the Real World and see your reflection in the rearview mirror, or in you gym's mirror, that you realize how hideous you look. I looked like a raccoon wearing goggles.
It looks as though this person used carbon ink rather than iron oxide which is a no-no for brows and anything but coloring inside the lashes. I'm sorry for your experience. It can be modified by a good technician.

Thank you for sharing your story and I'm sorry to hear what happened. Have you decided if you're going to let someone else redo it?