Painful Tattoo Removal

Several months ago I had my first laser treatment...

Several months ago I had my first laser treatment of a 20+ year old ankle tattoo. The nurse placed Lidocaine gel on the tattoo for 30 minutes prior to the laser. The lasering only lasted about 15 minutes but it was EXTREMELY painful. It was almost 9 weeks for the area to heal and I never picked at it.

I am very happy with the results but am unable to bring myself to go through the pain again. Is there any reason why the area can't be numbed, like a dentist would your mouth, before the using the laser?

The procedure was performed by the nurse who was somewhat unprofessional. It was EXTREMELY painful and took a very long time to heal.

There is no reason that it can't be injected to numb it before using the laser. Mine was and had very little to no pain during and after the session. Good luck
I had my second laser tattoo removal done yesterday and they injected me both times prior to using the laser. Once it had worn off, it was very painful. Today is much better. I am expecting the healing to be about 4 weeks. My next treatment is in 10 weeks.
I also had tattoo removal, however the nurse injected me with anesthetic prior to the procedure. I didn't feel the laser at all, healing wasn't too painful.
Yes, this can be done. I have had several laser sessions on my tattoo. I was given the option to have anesthetic. At first, I tried it without, but it was extremely painful, so the nurse numbed the tattoo with a needle and anesthetic. It is one million times better. I would not recommend to anyone to get it done without anesthetic. I think you need to go to an RN though because they have the necessary license to administer anesthetic. They are many "Laser Specialists" out there, but they really have no medical license.