Modified Tummy Tuck with Floating Belly Button - Costa Rica

Hello! I'm a 35 year old mom of 7 children...

Hello! I'm a 35 year old mom of 7 children (ages 2 - almost 15) and now that I'm confident my baby making days are over, I went ahead and got a mommy make-over. I live in Costa Rica and the cost of surgery is considerably lower than it is in the US or Canada. My surgeon was fantastic. He found a hernia above my belly button and repaired that as well during the tummy tuck. I'm sore, swollen and bound so tightly that breathing isn't much fun :/ But I can't wait for the swelling to go down a bit so I can see my new body! I had a breast augmentation with 400cc silicone gel implants, no lift needed, tummy tuck, and lipo. 800ml was removed.

I just took some more pics, will post them today. To answer your questions... I *wish* I had small kids! They were 8-9 lbs all of them! I've always with little effort was able to shrink back to my normal 125lb range. My skin has been good to me, also. It wasn't until after baby #3 that anyone could tell I had children by looking at me naked. But 7, SEVEN takes a toll on the body. ;)

I was not afraid of the surgery, but super nervous about being put to sleep, which when the time came, I didn't even know happened. Then afterwards, the only thing that really freaked me out was the drain tube. Didn't think it would, but it did.
Hi, wow 7 kiddos and your before body didnt look like you have 7 kids; you must of had small babies. I myself have 6 children and i look like i have had 6 children; unfortunalty lol. Were you scared at all for surgery? How was your experience from the timeyou walked in the door to get your surgery done to the time you woke up? hows recovery ? well anyways, cant wait for you to post more pics of your new body.
Gotcha! No problem. That's why I asked first. :)

I'm now 2 weeks post-op. Feeling GREAT! I can...

I'm now 2 weeks post-op. Feeling GREAT! I can finally sleep on my side comfortably (with pillows propping multiple body parts). Lipo stitches were removed today and the doc says everything is progressing very well. I've created a before and after photo and will post it here.

My very observant husband just pointed out that in my before and after breast shot the 'after' shot is reversed. You can see by the beauty marks I have above each breast. I think he knows them better than I do. :/ lol

I'm 9 weeks post-op. My healing has revealed some...

I'm 9 weeks post-op. My healing has revealed some problems with the surgery. For starters, it would've been much better had my surgeon chosen to do a full TT. The mini wasn't enough. Not only do I have excess skin above the belly button, but the skin healed PULLED to the left side. This is due to the compression garment and it's opening on the left side only. The entire time I was healing this garment was being pulled to the left when I showered or went to the bathroom causing my skin to heal to that side.

After expressing my concerns to my doctor, he suggested I begin taking Singulair, as this medication is the only option available here in Costa Rica that can help loosen that scar tissue. To be honest, I was so angry when he made this suggestion. Just a small amount of research on the drug Singulair is enough to scare any sane person away from taking it for cosmetic reasons. How is this my only option?!!!

I'm making a few appointments with other surgeons to get second and third opinions about this.

I'm feeling very disappointed, as I was told I was an "ideal" patient and that my results would be amazing. My before pictures actually look better than my after. ;(

I'm so sorry :0( I hope u get the results u hoped for soon! Good luck to u and keep us posted (((hugs)))
The photos of the bruises made me wince. OUCH.

One and a half years post-op update.

I've consulted with my surgeon several times since my healing. There was little responsibility taken on his part and the blame was placed on how my skin healed incorrectly. I've had seven children, and my skin elasticity is pretty forgiving as you can see in my before pictures. I refuse to place the blame on how my body healed. This is obviously yet another case of an unsatisfactory result from a modified tummy tuck with floating belly button. So many women who get this procedure done are not happy afterward and with good reason; there are few of us who are truly good candidates for it and I wish doctors were either better informed or more honest about that with their patients. Surgery for many is a one time shot as it takes much for most people to carve out the finances for cosmetic procedures. Clients rely on the expertise of the plastic surgeons to advise us and inform us about things we may not find on our own. Like how once you float that belly button you have compromised the blood supply and if you need future revision surgery you risk necrosis of the belly button. In other words, it's a one shot thing. And if there's any possibility that you may not be the absolute perfect candidate it would be better for you to go with the full tummy tuck. Yes, you can find that information out on your own, but I believe there is a responsibility on the side of the surgeons to be upfront and honest about that information. Story after story I see with these modified tummy tucks where women are going through the same thing I am. It's sad and doesn't need to happen.

At this point, I am just about ready to begin consulting with surgeons to talk about options. Reverse tummy tuck perhaps? I don't know. I do know that I will be doctor shopping with much more experience this time and hopefully I will find someone I feel really good about who can help me. After seven kids and a (mostly) kick ass body, I had high hopes for the surgery being simple and a one time thing. I hope by sharing my experience more women will become aware of just how many of us should avoid getting a modified tummy tuck.

I should point out, that even though I may look like I have gained weight since my initial surgery, I haven't. I am still 130lbs and 5'4". Unfortunately, the result of the surgery has made my midsection appear heavier. At least I think so, as does my husband who knows (knew) my body better than anyone.

I'll update again once I speak to a few doctors and walk my mind through whatever it is they tell me.

It's not your skin I don't believe it either. Thank you for sharing!
I'm so sorry to read this. I don't see how your skin can be the problem, I'm not an MD but I looked at your 'befores' and you had amazing skin considering you have seven babies, a lot of women have more damage than that from one! Maybe this is why the PS decided to do a mini procedure, but it would have been better to do nothing! It is very unfair for them to try and misplace blame, 7k may be cheap for North America or the U.K but it's still a lot of money. Good news is it does look fixable but that's easy to say when it's not me going through this. Best of luck to you.
I've never even heard of such a thing. How is it ur ps doesn't feel responsible for this?!?!?! I would fight it!

2.5 Years later and I'm ready to find a doctor for revision surgery.

I still get radically different answers about my options depending on what surgeon I talk to. I'm learning more and more that their answers are not based on fact but rather they're a reflection of the surgeon's skill level and comfort zone. If they don't know how to do something, they advise against it rather than point me in the direction of someone more skilled. Of course, this is a generalized statement and I'm not speaking for all surgeons, just some of the ones I've contacted. One thing I know for sure is I don't want to have it done here in Costa Rica. I'd rather travel to have things done by someone I can really trust and feel confident in their work. Currently looking in the U.S. If anyone has recommendations I'd love to hear them!

In US there is dr.meade in Dallas tx, dr.Ciaravino, dr salama in aventura fl, dr ghurani in aventura fl, dr Ortega in San Antonio, dr Ayala San Antonio tx , dr Greene in San Antonio tx( if u good their dr. Then the name and location it will bring up their websites). Or u can go to eonline and look up botched and submit urself to getting a tummy tuck revised by the too surgeon in the US.
Your body was amazing even for one child, nonetheless, seven kids!! I would be very upset too, you results should've been amazing for being in such good shape. Seven kids and thousands of dollars out is upsetting. I am sorry you had to go through this:( Wish you the best on you revisions! Keep us posted!
Thank you for your support and kind words. I've contacted a tummy tuck specialist (he co-authored a book on it) and discussed my options. He believes a reverse tummy tuck is the way to go. Of course, the price tag reflects his reputation and expertise, but its worth it to me to wait and get it done right. As with so many things, you get what you pay for, and at least in my case the first time around that turned out to be true. I'll update again when I am closer to scheduling. Again, thank you! I forget sometimes to acknowledge my right to feel disappointed and upset, even. Still, i have high hopes for the future! :)
Dr. Oscar Suarez

If I could go back and do things over, I would do more research on possible negative outcomes rather than just researching procedures gone well. I would've known then that most doctors are not fans of mini tummy tucks because patients are hardly ever satisfied with the results. I also would've asked more questions, rather than assuming the doctor knew exactly what I wanted and that we were on the same page. More communication for sure, as the disappointment of healing and seeing things look worse is hard on the mind. I would've also consulted with multiple doctors and given myself more options.