Costa Rica - Dr. Alejandro Lev Gets 10 Stars - Facelift+

Like many other people, I had previously thought...

Like many other people, I had previously thought this was something I would never consider. But at 59, I decided it time for a new look. Everything on my face was headed south. I was particularly annoyed by the jowls I had developed and the furrows between my eyes, so I was looking to have a full face and neck lift done along my eyes and brow.

I knew I couldn’t afford to have the procedures done here in the US, so I started searching for surgeons in South America after I heard a news story on the radio talking about medical vacations in Columbia. I found a couple of doctors there that I felt comfortable with but decided to research Costa Rica also. Mainly because it’s closer to home, and I like the country, having visited there previously.

I decided on Dr. Lev because of his impeccable reputation and the excellent communication I received from his state-side assistant, Didi. Whenever I had a question about something, Didi was quick to respond….in incredible detail. It also helped that Dr. Lev seemed to be a very busy guy. I knew I wanted someone who had a steady stream of satisfied customers. I also like the fact that he had trained in Brazil.

After discussing my options for a browlift, Dr. Lev felt I was not a good candidate for a Coronal browlift, but he suggested doing a Direct Approach browlift where the incision is made along the top of the eyebrow. He said this would last longer than a Endoscopic procedure. The downside is a visible scar that will need some cover makeup for awhile, and it wouldn't address the furrows between my eyes. Dr. Lev's stitching is incredible though, so I'm pretty happy with the result.

My surgery lasted about 6 hours, and I stayed at the clinic overnight. There were two nurses with me the entire time. I went into the operating room at around 7:30am and woke up at 7pm very thirsty. I had to wait awhile before I was allowed to have some water, so I just went back to sleep. After I woke up again, I was given some water and a bowl of chicken soup. I thought it was odd that I would be given a soup with chunks of chicken in it that I could barely get in my mouth let alone chew. It felt like I had a helmet on with the chinstrap pulled tightly. So I just took very small bites and chewed slowly. Overall, I felt pretty good. I was even able to get up and walk around for 10-15 minutes.

I stayed at Casa De La Mariposa for the 12 days following surgery. The people there are very nice and the food was good....with lots of fresh fruit. I would have liked more protein, but carbs are the mainstay in Costa Rica. But if you let them know you would like something more substantial, they adjust to your needs. While I was there, 3 other people from the States also stayed there who were having procedures done by Dr. Lev, so it was nice to have some people to hang out and chat with.
Dr. Lev Alejandro

Dr. Lev is very personable with a quick sense of humor. But he's all business when it comes to performing surgery. He's very confident and competent in what he does.

You have great results. Very refreshed and natural. Good luck on the rest of your healing.
Thank you for sharing your experience and photos! You definitely look rejuvenated! What was it like when you came home from CR? Did many people notice your change?
Yes, I still had bruising under the eyes. There was no way to cover it up completely. It was hard to tell the extent of the work I had done though. The scarring in front of my ears had healed pretty well. People at work ask what happened with my eyes. I just told them I had my eyes done.