Gastric Bypass or Lap Band - Cooperstown, NY

I am 5'1'' and 195 pounds. I have a BMI of 37. I...

I am 5'1'' and 195 pounds. I have a BMI of 37. I do qualify to have either one of these surgeries done but not sure which way to go. I do have some health issues but none that will restrict me from surgery.

Im not overly obese but I would like to be healthier. Can you loose to much weight after gastric bypass? What complications could I face? Anyone have complications with the lap band? Which would be better for me?

Have had gastric bypass 2008, have gained back 30 pounds in the last year. don't seem to have my stop full feeling anymore . my question is can u have lapband after gastric bypass I don't want to gain my weight back but want that stop feeling. or can my pouch be made smaller again?

Hey there,

I've never heard of a Lap Band after a bypass. You may want to submit a question to the doctors, using our doctor Q&A form.

Hope this helps!

Kirsty,,,when you having your gastric bypass?
Check out the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy! It is a great surgery. They remove 85% of your stomach and that is it they do not reroute your plumbing and there is no foreign objects placed inside you

I'm personally having the Gastric Bypass. However, either way you can't drink when you eat. That is also goign to be one of the hardest parts for me, because I drink a lot of water through the day, especially with meals. They tell you not to as it pushed the food through faster, so it could potentially allow you to eat more than you should be.

Is there any reason you think that you would gain the weight back with the bypass?

If you go to this page we have a Lap Band and Gastric Bypass guide, which was written with a top bariatric doctor. The guides may be useful to you. There is also a nutritional guide for post-op patients.

Yes I have talked to the doctor and he told me it was totally up to me. I dont really have any co-morbities that could benenfit from bypass. I am high risk of having diabetes but I dont have any problems yet. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with all three of my children. I am over weight and dont eat right. They say I will probably end up with diabetes if I dont change my habits. With bypass I am worried about gaining all my weight back after the first year or two. With lap-band I think I would maintain my weight more but I have a hard time with not drinking while I am eating and sometimes I dont have time to chew my food slowly. I think the band would restrict me from eating alot of carbs and other bad foods but I dont know if I can go without drinking while I eat. I really dont know what to do. Do you have any advice for me??

Hey Connie,

Welcome to RealSelf and thanks for sharing your journey with us, I am also going to be a WLS patient and I know just deciding which way to go can be one of the hardest parts!

Have you spoken to a doctor and had their advice on this? Do you have any co-morbities that would benefit from the bypass?