Brand New Rose Tattoo, Contemplating Regret

I had been planning to get this rose for a while,...

I had been planning to get this rose for a while, and it came out beautiful. I had it done by a friend who is actually doing pretty well in the tattoo scene and I respect him as an artist. The rose is well shaded and it's just how I like my roses to be. But I feel that it is a little too big and that the leaves look too aggressive where it wraps around my tricep. It's only been a couple of days and I'm not sure if I truly regret the action or if I'm just not used to the big change on my body. I think it looks nice but I can't say I'm 100% satisfied with it at the moment, maybe I will like it more when it lightens up or maybe I truly do regret it but I don't want to believe that. I have been feeling down and lost, and the fact that I did some research on laser removal treatments is embarrassing enough for me to admit. If I truly do regret it then I will consider laser removal treatments but only if I can remove it completely. It's all in black ink, and I have slightly dark skin. I'd love to hear some feedback, I haven't been feeling right since I got it.

Photo

Photo

I think it looks really effective, I would keep going and add other bits around it. :)
Thank you so much for posting your experience. I've only just found this website while searching for information regarding tattoo removal, and your story is scarily similar to my own. I got my first tattoo a month ago on my forearm. I was talked into getting it a lot larger than I'd planned and now despite all of my prior planning I too am contemplating laser removal. It was so good to read your story and everyone's comments regarding it being a normal reaction- I thought I was going crazy! Best of luck with your decision.
Hey jeanwest- although not proven if it matters, most Drs recommend waiting a bit after getting the tatt b/f going ahead and starting removal to allow your skin to heal...also just knowing that your ink is so fresh, you may just be in total shock b/c it does look like a pretty nice sized piece. My 2cents is that it is a really beautiful piece and I would rock it- but again like others have said, it is ultimately your call. I think you should give it a few weeks and wait, see how you adapt to it if you do....laser is always there and once started, cannot go back on. I do wish you the best in your decision and hope you find your direction and peace w/ the decision....best of luck to you!
Your feelings of being lost / regret are completely normal, that's why getting a tattoo is a tricky choice to make. I think it looks beautiful though if you're not comfortable with it then yours is the only opinion which matters. Maybe try waiting it out for a bit more time until making a decision on removing it, remember that removal is a lengthy and expensive process.
I am waiting it out and trying to forget these feelings. Removal is indeed a lengthy and expensive process, but I am willing to invest the time and money if I am guaranteed complete removal without scarring--however, it doesn't seem like that is guaranteed for anyone.
Often when we planned and dream about something, we have regrets afterwards. It's strange, but human nature is strange at times. Ink regret robs us of our spirit, our dignity. It's so strange, there are so many of us here that planned our tattoos, but then even with all the planning, it just didn't work out as we had planned, as we had dreamed. We can all say it's a beautiful tattoo, but it's your opinion that counts. Laser removal is such a tricky business, there are no guarantees, and it's timely, it's costly. Do your research, have a consultation, and see how you feel. WE're here to support you in whatever decision you make. Keep us posted. Good luck. aloha...k
that is very true. I have not been able to enjoy myself since, even though I know that my future self would tell me to not worry about it. I see that you have come a long way yourself and that gives me hope. It is good to know that everyone here is so supportive as we all share this experience in common.
Dude I think this tat is freaking sweet. I'm getting one almost like it near my other ones on my forearm. This is going to look great when healed. My 2c.
thank you. I should feel the same way, especially after having planned to get the piece for some time. I did not initially plan to have the leaves like that, but he said flowers were organic and I shouldn't try to fight it. I trusted him, and I was happy with it right after I got it, but the next day I felt different.
Welcome, thanks for sharing with us. Sorry to hear you are feeling somewhat lost about this, but it's a pretty normal reaction to new ink, especially in a very visible place when it's a larger piece. In my opinion, I would wait it out and allow it to blend with you skin, new ink is so dark and out there, but as it fades it will become one with your skin, especially shaded tattoos. I bet it's beautiful as you say, would love if you would post a photo for us.
thank you for the welcome. you may be right about the fading, but it's also due to the fact that it's at a visible place. I suddenly do not feel right about the location. I work in a creative industry and it would not matter, but when I see others with bare arms I start to envy them. could just be due to the new change on my body, but we'll see.
Well, I think it's beautiful, and I am sure some people will look at your arm and envy you.
hey, you probably should wait a couple of months for your skin to fully heal if you want to get laser done anyway so maybe take the time to see if your feelings about it change as you get used to it, and try not to obsess about it in the mean time? it seems like you like a lot of things about it, and sounds like the artist did a great job (unlike mine!) so maybe you're just finding it strange cos its new (:
perhaps that is true. I am trying to get my mind off of it at the moment and hopefully you are right. I haven't been able to enjoy myself lately.
are u african american? because i am and i too have a rose tattoo im trying to remove but i have a lil color in mine. black is the easiest ink to remove
yes, that's what I heard and read from doing my research on laser removal. however I haven't seen any successful before and after pictures online with dark skin, and with a tattoo as big as mine. that's what worries me.
I'm not african american, and I don't doubt the possibility of removal. It's just that the only examples I see online are of light skinned people. I may need to set up a consultation anyway, but in the meantime I gotta just wait it out