LASIK - Best Money Ever Spent! - Columbus, GA

I received LASIK for my 40th birthday from my...

I received LASIK for my 40th birthday from my husband. He is in the military and had undergone PRK a few years before with amazing results. He kept saying, "It will change your life" and it has! I had worn contacts and occasionally glasses for 27 years. My vision was pretty bad, 20/400, I think, with astigmatism. I also had a pinguecula (callous) on one cornea caused from years of wearing hard contact lenses. I opted to have both eyes corrected for distance rather than monovision. The down time was minimal. I think I stayed in bed with eyes closed for the remainder of the day and wore dark sunglasses, even indoors, for about a week. My eyes were dry before LASIK, but they were mush worse afterwards so I was thankful for the drops. I also had to have the plugs inserted in my tear ducts and that cost an additional $150 per eye. 2 1/2 years later my vision is still 20/20 for distance, though I'm starting to have issues reading in dim light. My eyes are still a bit on the dry side, but seldom so dry that I need drops. I can actually watch tv in bed and though my night vision isn't great, it is still better than my night vision while wearing glasses. I'd recommend the surgery to any candidate who can afford it!

Columbus Ophthalmologist

The procedure was everything I hoped for and more. The only real negative was the tremendously long wait times I experienced every visit.

Thanks for sharing ur review
Hi, I was wondering whats the name of your surgeon?

That is very sweet that your husband wanted you to have the procedure done that had made such a difference for him - what a great gift!

When you say that you decided to have "both eyes corrected for distance rather than monovision" does that mean that you had them both corrected exactly the same, rather than one eye for distance, and one for up close?

Yes, Megan, that's exactly what I mean. Over age 40, lots of people choose to get monovision as the need for reading glasses starts to become apparent. I haven't been able to see for distance for most of my life, and it was more important to me than being hindered by the occasional use of reading glasses. It was the right choice for me, though many people I know have gotten the monovision and love it.

Well good job for evaluating both & deciding to go with the one that was best for you, and not just what the majority go with - so glad you had good results! :)