Age 64, Revision to Correct Implant Size - Columbus, OH

I had to have implants replaced Feb. 2013 at the...

I had to have implants replaced Feb. 2013 at the time I had a lumpectomy of the right breast because of rupture issues. The implants were 27 years old and had held up very well. they were done by a plastic surgeon in Cleveland, Ohio who has since retired. I had my surgery done at CTCA (Cancer Treatment Centers of America) in Illinois. When the implants were replaced in February I discussed expectations extensively with the plastic surgeon who was to do that portion of the surgery. Bottom line he ended up putting a larger size in the left breast because he said the opening that was left when the old was removed was larger than the right & it appeared as though there would be nipple drop if he didn't and he did not have consent from me for a nipple revision if needed. He put a 325cc in the right breast and a 500cc in the left breast. A really big difference!! It was so very upsetting to me and the left breast never felt right and obviously looked larger although not really that noticeable in clothes except to me.

I went for a second opinion regarding the left breast implant in April, 2013 to see Dr. Christine Sullivan, The Sullivan Centre. We discussed the situation extensively and she got all the surgery notes from CTCA. She said she really did not think there would be any problem with nipple drop if she replaced the left implant with the same size as the right 325cc and didn't understand why the surgeon did that. She was very thorough in her examination, review of all information and discussion with me. I saw her a couple more times to ask more questions and then scheduled the revision for December. She wanted to wait at least 6 months post prior surgery. The revision was covered by insurance because of being an issue following the breast cancer surgery. The revision turned out very well and both breasts are now the same size and the nipple did not drop. Dr. Chris was wonderful to work with, very positive, reassuring, professional and sensitive to my concerns and questions. I would definitely recommend her!!
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Chris is professional, courteous, positive, caring, thorough and an excellent surgeon! She is located at: The Sullivan Centre, 7706 Olentangy River Road, Columbus, Ohio 43235.

Wow, that's wonderful your original implants lasted for 27 years! Were they saline or silicone? If you don't mind me asking, did you receive your first implants due to a mastectomy? Also curious as to why you had to have a lumpectomy when the implant ruptured? I'm so happy to hear that you were able to get another revision resulting in symmetrical breasts that you like. Thank you in advance for answering all my questions. Congratulations!
The implants were silicone. I wanted larger breasts that is why I had them done to begin with. I had the lumpectomy because I had DCIS (a pre-cancerous stage) in the right breast. I am totally clear of any signs of DCIS now.
Ah, I see. Did you discover the DCIS via a routine mammogram or MRI? Glad you're free of any pre-cancerous signs.