Arm Lift - Columbus, OH

I had weight loss surgery and am pretty happy with...

I had weight loss surgery and am pretty happy with the results but have always been so unhappy with how big my upper arms were. I was unable even after the weight loss to wear anything that wasn't cotton or stretchy on my upper arms, never a normal blouse or shirt. I just wanted to be able to wear something that fit properly.

After months of wondering I finally made an appointment with Dr Steven Robinson for a consult. When he finally saw my arms, he said, "oh yeah, you need this surgery!" Woohoo fast forward a few months later when i got the time off work to 4 days before Christmas 2012 and it's the morning of my surgery.

The doctor was nice and marked my arms and told me what was to happen. The anesthesiologist started my IV in my foot…OUCH that hurt but I guess they got to work on my arms so why put an IV there. What seemed like moments later I awoke in recovery. I was in a bit of pain but they gave me meds to control it. My hubby helped me to home after I recovered.

Most of the first day was a wash, pain meds and sleeping. I did not have any drains put in at all, just ace wraps which I wear all the time unless showing. I had a few days on Percocet’s and some nausea medicine (I get a lot of nausea with pain meds) over the next few days. After one week I saw the doc for a check up. He said things were looking great, I love how you can’t see the incision line unless I hold p my arms, not from the front or back. I have a lot…LOT of swelling, and I do ice and compress and elevate my arms almost all the time. I asking him how much he took off and he said “A Lot”. I get sharp pains in both my elbows and armpits and he says that’s the nerve ending growing back again. I wished more than anything that they had something to wrap around your underarm so the stitches on my underarm and the ones in my arm wouldn’t touch when I rested my arms down. It seems like the ace’s are great for the arm it self but at the underarm, guess it just didn’t work well for me.

I have regular stitches in my arms so they come out at the 2 weeks mark (tomorrow) and he said no steri-strips after that, just keep wearing the ace’s or a compression garment. I go back to work on Monday which is in 4 days and am hoping puling the stitches will change a lot of things.

Yesterday was ny stitches removal day. It was...

yesterday was ny stitches removal day. It was pretty ouchy to get themout but overall so glad to have them out. I took pic's to show how you can not see the stitch line from the front of back at all and show you the actual stitch line too. My doctor has recommended to use Vitamin E oil for a while to keep the moisture and improve the healing. after a week or so I'll be using Scar Away to reduce the scars.

1 month out now and still having some issues with...

1 month out now and still having some issues with straightening my right arm but so happy with the size difference. My upper arms were 19 inches before my WLS..today they are 12,75inches. The scar away is helping a little but I know I have weeks of swelling and such to go.
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Dr Robinson is a wonderful provider, caring, attentive and skilled. He and his staff have been willling to talk to me, on the phone and in person and listens and responds. His nurse even had him sign an additional prescription for me very late in the day and took it to the post office to make sure I got it before the holiday. Extreamly caring and will go back to him again for the next procedure.

I'm trying to figure out my options for fixing my arms. The biggest thing I'm worried about is the scar. Is the scar a big deal, how does it look now that's it's been almost a year? Your post has been super helpful. Congratulations on your weight loss! :)
I had gastric bypass in 1999, and I have decided the end of this month in July of 2013 to have an arm lift, I lost 210 pounds, and the only bad place I have skin hanging is my arm, just really nervous about being put to sleep.
Hi How's the healing going? I too have 19inch arms that I can not wait to get rid of. I am wondering what size you are at now? How long did your swelling last? Did you have lipo also? I am wondering how sore you were after? Thanks for any words of wisdom you can give - I go in in a week and a half and I am so excited and nervous.
I'm still about 12.5 inches around but so happy about it. I think I am still a bit swollen since I had tol go off compression so early but the pain is all gone. I did have lipo and I was pretty sore after, was off work for 2 weeks. I did scar away and vitamin e oil for months and now do massages...ok hubby does that part for me. They are looking better but I tend to form keloids. The tops are looking much smaller, near the elbow and near the underarm are visible but more faded. I can say I knew about the scars..and will take them every day over the HUGE 19 inch arms! Gayle
Hi Gayle! Thanks for checking in. I notice you had stitches that had to be removed. I didn't. My ps used some kind of glue on the skin. The only stitches were inside. I just started massaging tonight. Hoping that will help with the appearance as well as the feeling (burning sensation). Are you massaging?
When I put on the Vit E oil, I massage them and sometimes in the evening while watching tv, I do. Wish my PS didn't use stitches..you get the little dot on the sides of the scar also to deal with...but hindside is 20/20.
Hey Gayle! Your ps did a beautiful job! How are you feeling now? Are the scars fading nicely?
I feel almost normal except the swelling and numbness along the incision line. The scars are fading a little each day and I'm happy about that!
congratulations! Your scar are placed in a great position, which doesn't show from the front. Your plastic surgeon did a great job.
thanks, I think he did a great job also!

Hi there, welcome and thanks for sharing your experience with us. Your after pics look awesome! The scar is very nice as well.

Congratulations on your weight loss, that's a huge achievement. You must finally feel like you're getting the body you worked so hard for!