Having Lower Eyelid Surgery to Remove Bags - Columbia, SC

The bags under my eyes have driven me crazy for...

The bags under my eyes have driven me crazy for years. I have bought every product known to mankind in an attempt to make them disappear. So, when I visited my doctor to schedule a scar revision I mentioned the eyes and he showed me before and after photos of others. I was sold. I had to pay for the surgical suite anyway so why not get this done.

Photos soon.

One week from today....photos before

I never posted photos of my tummy tuck and breasts prior to surgery and I regret that. So, here is a photo of me prior to surgery. This is a good day...if my bags decide to pack themselves full I will try to get additional photos at that time.

Day One

We were all dreading recovery because it was so extensive. This surgery had been very easy and the lower eyelids aren't the only thing I had done, but the other area is the top of my public bone so I will keep that to myself, for now.

I am up and down on my own, not taking as much medication. I look like heck, but this has been easier so far.

Day 4 Post Op

Progressing well if I could keep my hands off. I wake up to find myself messing with the corner of my eyes. I can't tell if there are stitches there or just clumps of dried blood. I want to wash them carefully with clean tips but we were told to keep them as dry as possible. The left eye seems to be the most traumatized..alot of discharge and gunk that impedes my vision at times. I do try to clear that carefully with a qTip. Otherwise I am trying to leave them be.

I can see my eye shape returning which is a relief. All I kept thinking is what our mom used to tell us.."your face is going to stick that way!" Lol. I have little to no pain and haven't taken any meds since last night at 6:00 pm. I just feel crusty and tight. I can feel the swelling now in the rest of my face as well.

Day 5 Post Op. - yellow doesn't become me.

Seeing more change and less swelling. Left eye weeps a lot and gets a funky film that I remove carefully with a qTip. If I don't remove it I blink excessively to clear my vision which makes things sore. I feel like the bruising is subsiding and turning yellow. I look jaundiced and my face is still swollen. It always amazes me how you can go through surgery, no test anything for days after except Melba toast and saltines, and still gain weight. Frustrating!

No pain meds since yesterday at one or so..yeah! I am also off the phenergan and my thinking is clearer..no longer fuzzy. The only issue with this is I want to be up and active.

Doctor follow up today at noon. I feel sure he will remove the drain from my lower area where we did a scar revision and I so graciously decided to snap my tube on a cabinet and extract it enough to lose suction. Argh! That are has healed over pretty quickly considering. I hope he doesn't plan to remove stitches yet...if they are removable...the corners of my eyes are very tender still.

Day 5 - Post Op - doctor visit

He removed the one stitch on each eye and I was wrong - someone asked me if there were stitches or if the repairs were done inside the lid - they were inside the lid with only one stitch at the corner of each eyelid. He removed the stitch on each side today and put on a steristrip that will stay on 24 hours to 5 days. I was strictly advised to not remove them or I could open the area up. Interesting.

He also advised that as the weeks went on my lower lid will drop as the scar draws the lid downward. I will start massaging the area in another week or so to loosen it up so it pops back up. We shall see...

Three weeks....almost four

Not sure if I updated but I had to have the right eye lanced. I had a small pustule and we weren't sure what it was. He lanced it and it drained - more like a pimple. He put me on antibiotics just to be safe. This is me today. Surgery was 3/21, so almost four weeks. I still have some redness and tightness off and on. I have to rub the eyes gently to help loosen them. I am extremely happy.
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Love this practice. The doctor, the staff...all professional but helpful and friendly.

Wow your before pic versus your most recent pics show such an amazing change- I can't believe how fast you are healing!
looks great
Wow! You look fantastic! Welcome to the No More Bags club!
Thank you. I am actually very surprised at how quickly they healed. I know they aren't done yet, but they look far better than I expected. Normally I hold bruises a very long time and then when he had to inject novacaine (or whatever) to lance the right eye it was swollen and bruised from that. I am not wearing lower makeup as a precaution - yet. :)
I can't wait til I get mine too and be like the rest of you!!!! Congrats Cograts!!
Why do you have blood along your lower eyelid if he did the surgery from the inside?
It was crusted there..I seeped blood the first day. We were told by the nurses to keep the area dry, but when I went in yesterday I was told by the surgeon that I could have cleaned the area gently with peroxide and qtips
Did the surgeon say why you had stitches on the corners of your eyes?
He did not and it never occurred to me to ask.
You are looking good for being five days post-op, your bruises are fading really quickly.  Congrats!
I agree - thank you. He made it sound like it will look worse before it looks better. I guess the lower lid will drop soon....we shall see.
WOW! Hope I bruise like you! :-) So while you are waiting for the lower lid to drop, are you experiencing any discomfort or pain (e.g., dry eye)? In other words, is it more just the way it looks that you're hoping to resolve, or is there a physical impact?
Well, remember..he said I would get worse before I got better. He has warned that my lower eyelids will likely droop as these next weeks progress. I agree that things don't look as bad as anticipated and I hope that I continue to defy those odds. I have little to know pain in this area. The left eye weeps more than the right. Moving my eyes hurts at times..extreme look is up and down or right and left are painful but tolerable. I have only have had to take pain meds for the other part of my surgery unrelated to the eyes. I did the surgery for the physical effects I hoped to achieve. The discomfort is minimal. At this point I hope to resolve both the looks (bruising to disappear and bags to be gone at the end of this process) as well as the constant weeping from the left eye and the minimal discomfort experienced when using my eyes. I hope that makes sense. Aside from the looks this has been a very easy surgery to deal with.
Thanks so much for sharing this. Wow, your bruising isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. I am scheduled for next month and this really helps! Good luck with your continued recovery.
You are very welcome. I wish I had documented more with my tummy tuck.
The worst is over. Just keep icing or maybe you've moved on to heat by now? Just follow your doctors orders and try to rest. Keep us posted. :)
you're on your way to recovery! hopefully it's quick. are you taking arnica?
No..what is arnica?
arica helps heal bruises and swelling. you might try to find some at the drug store or vitamin shop. there's a pill and cream. my surgeon recommend to take before and after surgery. most on here have taken it too.
were you knocked out for surgery? general anesthesia?
1 more question... do you have stitches or did he work from inside the lid?
I have been told to not put anything on it. Yes I was completely knocked out and yes there are stitches.
well i guess you need to follow instructions, funny how all surgeons are so different in their opinions for the same surgery. some are told to put cream in their eyes. so speedy recovery and keep giving us pics. we love to see progress. i heard the first week is the worst and it just gets better!
Lucky you, I have to wait 3 weeks. The waiting is killing me. Can't wait to see yours. So exciting. I'm sure you will be very happy. I love looking at the before and after pictures too, what a difference.
Thank you Precious. I love my surgeon and feel very comfortable with him, so I am sure it will be a great outcome (God willing). :) I am spending my week getting ready. I hope your surgery goes well too!! I will be watching.