1 Year of Being Disfigured Due to an Infection in One Breast Implant - Colorado Springs, CO

This time last year I went in for a tummy tuck and...

This time last year I went in for a tummy tuck and breast augmentation.

Right after I had the stitches taken out I had some drainage from my right scar. We later found out that I had infection and had to remove the right implant. We decided to let the wound heal from the inside out and ended up having to excise the scar, worse came to worse and I had to be connected to a wound vac for over 3 months. Now its finally all the way healed and in about a month we will be ready to replace the implant.

The issue I have now is my doctor is fearful that history will repeat itself and he is concered about opening the old scars and wants to put the new implant over the muscle and my left breast implant is under the muscle. I would like some advice on this please help. Will there be a big difference in the way they look?

Updated on Jan 13, 2010
Had to have implant in right breast removed due to infection. PS is wanting to replace it but over the muscle. Will it look ok?

In an already big busted woman, will having one saline implant under the muscle and one saline implant over the muscle look different from each other?

Since you mentioned that you're already big busted, I would say that there shouldn't be a big difference. Will there be a noticeable difference? That's a different question. At the very least, the effect you're probably familiar with, where you flex your left pectoral muscle and your implant moves around (I'm sure you've seen this happen) will be absent on your right side. But will your breasts be perfectly identical in every other respect? Probably not, but this is mainly due to the asymmetry which everyone has. You might end up with an extremely satisfactory result, or you might end up with a difference only you will notice, or you might end up with an even more noticeable difference. Your surgeon will of course do his best to mitigate this. If you need further assurances (and if no surgeons on this forum respond), I would recommend going for at least one (if not two) consults with at least one other surgeon. Not necessarily for the purpose of switching surgeons, so much as paying for another professional's opinion. The caveat here is that if you get a different opinion, there will be no good way of approaching your surgeon and saying "oh btw I spoke to another surgeon and he disagrees with your assessment". I can guarantee this will NOT make your surgeon throw caution to the wind, and probably won't make him change his mind (and will likely irritate him at least a little). You could of course frame the new info in terms of "I checked out some forums online and ..." and simply tell your surgeon you wanted to make sure you were as informed as you could be, with no ill will towards him. This is a great question though; hopefully a plastic surgeon on this site will provide some insights.

Getting implants was definitley NOT worth it. Its...

Getting implants was definitley NOT worth it. Its been almost a year since my corrective sugery and I do regret it, Im sure I would not feel this way if everything had turned out well from the initial surgery. But from what I have experienced I guess I feel entitled to that almost perfect surgery and it is not even close to perfect.

I think I might have missed it but who was your doctor, and do you recommend them?
@SWallace29, is the hole closed now? Did it ever drain a clear/pinkish fluid? Because that's what happened to my wife at about 5 weeks. It refused to heal. Long story short, the surgeon explanted her left implant, scraped the proteins off the inside of the pocket (there was no serious infection), waited 3 months for things to heal up, then a new implant (at no additional cost, not even for the surgery -- the bloodwork had to be done again, but that was the only cost to us) was implanted. If you were curious, her incision was inframammary, along the breast fold, but she'd also had a vertical lift at the same time as her augmentation.
@ espresso No the whole did not close it got bigger in a week. Yes it did drain the yellow/pinkish fluid. The Nurse told me that I had a seroma and told me to let it drain on it's own. Then I went back in a week later and seen the Dr. and he said that it needed to be stitched up so he put in 2 stitches and then a few days later he had to put in 2 more because a hole had opened up beside that. So I have had stitches in it for about 2 weeks and he is going to leave them in until April 25th. Well my dr is saying that I'm having a healing problem because I don't eat that much but I don't think so. I would think that I would have a problem all over. I also had a tummy tuck and breast augmentation at the same time and had 1 seroma come up on my hip but everything else is healing just great. This just has me really stumped and frustrated. What was the blood work done for? My incision is the same. Did your wife have swelling at the top of her breast or any sloshing sound? I have been on antibiotics for 2 weeks so we will find out how everything is going to go from here. Today is my last day for my med. Thanks for responding to my post. I haven't found anyone with the same or similiar problems.

He has alot of experience. He and his staff are very kind, friendly, and caring. He has been very good to me through all this.