Severe Crowding, Finally Doing Something for Me. - Cold Lake, AB

I am a 26 mother of four. My parents didn't have...

I am a 26 mother of four. My parents didn't have the money to fix my teeth when I was younger so I'm doing it it myself now.
I am so embarrassed by my smile. I never show my teeth and when I do I feel like that's all people see is the girl with jacked up teeth.
The plan is to do 7 extractions. 3 wisdom teeth (I only have 3) and 4 second molars to make room for my front teeth to move back. After the extractions, the majority of my front teeth have cavities tht need filling. Finally once that I all done I can start my Invisalign journey. He thinks it should only take 8-12 months which seems too fast for my level of crowding.
This is a very emotional thing for me. My husband thinks I'm over exaggerating it but he doesn't understand how much this affects me and how deeply I despise the way my teeth look. I am ready to smile an be confident in my smile. I'm ready to so something for me.
Have you come any further in your decision-making process?  I hope everything is okay.
100 thumbs up!!! I get my Aligners in a few weeks. From a person with a crooked smile, I can empathize. I've been told by many people that I have a nice smile. Could be self consciousness, but it always felt to me like the compliment had an undertone of something else. And for no good reason at all I, when I mad the means to do so, did nothing about it. Sometimes you just have to take stock and defy the why. If there is no clear answer to the why, start challenging it with why not. And that's what (you) and I have done. Here's to a Hollywood smile!! Catch you on the other side.

Saw the dentist again yesterday

I have a consultation coming up with a specialist who will be doing my extractions. I had a panoramic X-Ray done yesterday which I am hoping to get a copy of so i can add on here. Also I was wrong on which molars they will be removing. I though it was my second molars but it's all four if my first molars. Once the extractions are done, I have a list if the teeth that need fillings. Because money is an issue for me we are doing all this "pre Invisalign" work in small steps.
I think its great that you are doing something for yourself! My fiancé was the same saying I don't need it (but I convinced him I did) if its going to make you more confident and smile more, its worth it!! Good luck with getting your dream smile!
8-12 months sounds wonderful, once all of the pre-Invisalign stuff is out of the way it will fly by :) Can't wait to see your progress - and how amazing your smile will look at the end!
I totally understand! My teeth were also severely crowded. I had no extractions but I had my wisdom teeth out a long time ago. I was baffled that my ortho said it would only take 18 months but here I am! 18 months and I just put my last set of refinement aligners in! So happy you will be doing this! I can't even begin to tell you how great it feels to have great looking teeth after all of these years! Can't wait to see your progress!

Unexpected extraction

I reciently started experiencing severe pain in one of my molars. They did an X-ray and determined that there was an infection in the root and I would either need a root canal or an extraction. I had just had a tubectomy 3 days prior and was in enough pain from that. I decided I would rather have it pulled so it would just be done with. This particular tooth has caused me issues before and I was not willing to sit with this tooth hurting me for another week before I could get the root canal. I have added my panoramic X-yay that was done before the extraction. The tooth in question is the top right one far back. You can see how big the previous filling was. I will also add a photo of the tooth after it was extracted.
You're so brave!  I'm sorry you went through that, though.  I hope the tubectomy was elective, and I wish you a speedy recovery!
Yes, the tubectomy was my choice lol. I have four children under 5 and my last pregnant was really hard on me so another baby is out of the question.
Just making sure it wasn't health-related! :D  Your children are so young!  I don't know how you do it--mad props to you, for sure!

I just got my first Mirena IUD cause I am done with having kids too (I only have three, but the last two were twins so I've got more than I can handle), but I also started on birth control pills full-time and the hubby got a vasectomy. I thought about the tubal ligation but it just didn't seem sure enough *LOL*.

Saw the specialist today

Today was my appointment to speak with the specialist about my upcoming extractions. Overall it was an uneventful appointment. H looked at my panoramic X-ray and that was pretty much it. I have decided to use IV sedation for my extractions. Waiting to hear back from my insurance company to see how much they will cover before I book the extractions.
The extraction I had done a couple weeks ago has healed up nicely along with my incision from my tubal. This month has been pretty crazy for me lol.
I can't wait to hear about your extractions.  I'd definitely go for the IV sedation as well.  I don't want to be awake at all while they take my wisdom teeth out!  But the cost is cowing me…also interested to hear how much they're charging.
Well my husband has really good insurance coverage for me being a dependant. I think I get 90%. Either way I know my yearly "allowance" is almost up which is why I want them to send the determination before I book.
Wow. 90%!  I think I get, like, $1000/year! :)  But I haven't checked it yet, because that'd be too much like actually agreeing to get my wisdom teeth pulled. :-/

Cant afford this :(

So....i have my extractions booked. Thats all fine and dandy but i asked for a pre determination to be sent off for the invisalign itself. My insurance will only cover up to $2500 and the submitted expense for the invisalign is over $8000. There is no way I can afford this treatment. We are a single income family. we have four kids. :(
Im fairly certain my invisalign journey is over before it has even started. Im going to talk to my dentist and see if monthly payments are ok but even that is going to be practically impossible.
That's the most expensive I've seen here on RealSelf for Invisalign.  Is that just Invisalign or is that including extractions?
Most orthodontists offer monthly payment options with little money down. Before you decide against it, look into the financing. I would not have been able to afford my treatment at this time if it weren't for that.
I have sent you a PM which you need to read

Getting nervous

Well my extractions are coming up. Less than 2 weeks away now. I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared. Im having 7 teeth pulled!! Two of which are impacted and slightly under the jaw bone..I have my pre op consult a week from today. I will update after that appointment.
I'm just looking into getting my teeth fixed and I'm nervous. . . I wanted to get braces for as long as I can remember but we could never afford them. I just turned 22 and have decided that I'm tired of hating the person in the mirror simply because of my teeth. The only thing is I don't know how about getting started.
Call a dentist and tell them you would like to have a consult to see what your potions are are far as straightening them. Thats how i started. Unfortunately I have quite a bit of damage caused by my over crowding that i wasnt aware of before so im really glad im getting all this done :)
Good luck with the extractions!  Did the financial situation get fixed.

BULL S**T

Seriously. I am so disappointed right now. I just got back from my extraction consult. I brought my predetermination in so I could pay for my portion. And it's $1700. I thought it was going to be $150. So yeah I don't have that kind of money to just spend so I had to cancel my extractions and re book them for nov. Hopefully I can save enough by then.
Hello we can help you out with the cost of invisalign. We have a 50% discount in our clinic for the clear aligners. Please give me a call @ 780-970-7777 we are located in Edmonton
Oh, wow!  That's a vast difference :(.  Do you know what happened?  Where there's such a discrepancy?
And also make sure to interview at least one orthodontist.  Not all dentists provide Invisalign, but all Orthodontists will, or at least some version of clear aligner (some cheaper than Invisalign).  Regular braces are also cheaper than Invisalign if you are willing to go that route, and are also better for some cases.  You definitely need to do consultations, and you should be able to find free ones.  Like Militarywife100 said, just call places, either from recs (like from here or Yelp) or ask friends where they went.  If you have a regular dentist who doesn't do Invisalign, ask them if they can refer you to an orthodontist.

A really great tool would be to ask our doctors here on RealSelf their opinion on treatment options for you.  Take really good, really clear photos, and at least one from the front teeth together and one from the front mouth open, as well as profile shots that show your teeth from the sides.  Upload the photos along with your question using this link.  That way, once the doctors answer, you will have a better idea what to expect during your consultation. :)  Good luck!  We hope to see you starting your own review soon!
Dr. Naqvi

Dr. Naqvi and all of his staff are very friendly and always make you feel welcome.