Severe Crowding, Finally Doing Something for Me. - Cold Lake, AB

I am a 26 mother of four. My parents didn't have...

I am a 26 mother of four. My parents didn't have the money to fix my teeth when I was younger so I'm doing it it myself now.
I am so embarrassed by my smile. I never show my teeth and when I do I feel like that's all people see is the girl with jacked up teeth.
The plan is to do 7 extractions. 3 wisdom teeth (I only have 3) and 4 second molars to make room for my front teeth to move back. After the extractions, the majority of my front teeth have cavities tht need filling. Finally once that I all done I can start my Invisalign journey. He thinks it should only take 8-12 months which seems too fast for my level of crowding.
This is a very emotional thing for me. My husband thinks I'm over exaggerating it but he doesn't understand how much this affects me and how deeply I despise the way my teeth look. I am ready to smile an be confident in my smile. I'm ready to so something for me.

Saw the dentist again yesterday

I have a consultation coming up with a specialist who will be doing my extractions. I had a panoramic X-Ray done yesterday which I am hoping to get a copy of so i can add on here. Also I was wrong on which molars they will be removing. I though it was my second molars but it's all four if my first molars. Once the extractions are done, I have a list if the teeth that need fillings. Because money is an issue for me we are doing all this "pre Invisalign" work in small steps.

Unexpected extraction

I reciently started experiencing severe pain in one of my molars. They did an X-ray and determined that there was an infection in the root and I would either need a root canal or an extraction. I had just had a tubectomy 3 days prior and was in enough pain from that. I decided I would rather have it pulled so it would just be done with. This particular tooth has caused me issues before and I was not willing to sit with this tooth hurting me for another week before I could get the root canal. I have added my panoramic X-yay that was done before the extraction. The tooth in question is the top right one far back. You can see how big the previous filling was. I will also add a photo of the tooth after it was extracted.

Saw the specialist today

Today was my appointment to speak with the specialist about my upcoming extractions. Overall it was an uneventful appointment. H looked at my panoramic X-ray and that was pretty much it. I have decided to use IV sedation for my extractions. Waiting to hear back from my insurance company to see how much they will cover before I book the extractions.
The extraction I had done a couple weeks ago has healed up nicely along with my incision from my tubal. This month has been pretty crazy for me lol.

Cant afford this :(

So....i have my extractions booked. Thats all fine and dandy but i asked for a pre determination to be sent off for the invisalign itself. My insurance will only cover up to $2500 and the submitted expense for the invisalign is over $8000. There is no way I can afford this treatment. We are a single income family. we have four kids. :(
Im fairly certain my invisalign journey is over before it has even started. Im going to talk to my dentist and see if monthly payments are ok but even that is going to be practically impossible.
Dr. Naqvi

Dr. Naqvi and all of his staff are very friendly and always make you feel welcome.

That's the most expensive I've seen here on RealSelf for Invisalign.  Is that just Invisalign or is that including extractions?
Most orthodontists offer monthly payment options with little money down. Before you decide against it, look into the financing. I would not have been able to afford my treatment at this time if it weren't for that.
I have sent you a PM which you need to read
Don't give up yet. Definitely look into making monthly payments. If that doesn't work, look around at other Invisalign providers. Prices vary widely.
You're so brave!  I'm sorry you went through that, though.  I hope the tubectomy was elective, and I wish you a speedy recovery!
Yes, the tubectomy was my choice lol. I have four children under 5 and my last pregnant was really hard on me so another baby is out of the question.
Just making sure it wasn't health-related! :D  Your children are so young!  I don't know how you do it--mad props to you, for sure!

I just got my first Mirena IUD cause I am done with having kids too (I only have three, but the last two were twins so I've got more than I can handle), but I also started on birth control pills full-time and the hubby got a vasectomy. I thought about the tubal ligation but it just didn't seem sure enough *LOL*.
I can't wait to hear about your extractions.  I'd definitely go for the IV sedation as well.  I don't want to be awake at all while they take my wisdom teeth out!  But the cost is cowing me…also interested to hear how much they're charging.
Well my husband has really good insurance coverage for me being a dependant. I think I get 90%. Either way I know my yearly "allowance" is almost up which is why I want them to send the determination before I book.
Wow. 90%!  I think I get, like, $1000/year! :)  But I haven't checked it yet, because that'd be too much like actually agreeing to get my wisdom teeth pulled. :-/
Keep pressing on! You will be so glad you did when your teeth look the way you want them to. And you are still so young so you will have plenty of time to enjoy them and your new smile and confidence. I wish you the best of luck!
I think its great that you are doing something for yourself! My fiancé was the same saying I don't need it (but I convinced him I did) if its going to make you more confident and smile more, its worth it!! Good luck with getting your dream smile!
8-12 months sounds wonderful, once all of the pre-Invisalign stuff is out of the way it will fly by :) Can't wait to see your progress - and how amazing your smile will look at the end!
I totally understand! My teeth were also severely crowded. I had no extractions but I had my wisdom teeth out a long time ago. I was baffled that my ortho said it would only take 18 months but here I am! 18 months and I just put my last set of refinement aligners in! So happy you will be doing this! I can't even begin to tell you how great it feels to have great looking teeth after all of these years! Can't wait to see your progress!
Thank you so much for commenting. I read over your review and am so happy for you! I wish someday I will have results like yours. Seeing your before and after shots along with the amount of time you used Invisalign, really put my mind at ease.
I just wish I did this when I was as young as you! So happy for you!
Oh boy!  Let us know how it goes with the molars.  I'm putting off surgery to remove all four of my wisdom teeth, and I keep hoping reading one more review about how removing molars was no big deal will be the thing to get me going ;).  The money is also an issue, though.  Blah.

Great thing about removing molars, though, is that it bypasses a lot of the cosmetic issues caused by removing teeth in the front! :D
Have you come any further in your decision-making process?  I hope everything is okay.
100 thumbs up!!! I get my Aligners in a few weeks. From a person with a crooked smile, I can empathize. I've been told by many people that I have a nice smile. Could be self consciousness, but it always felt to me like the compliment had an undertone of something else. And for no good reason at all I, when I mad the means to do so, did nothing about it. Sometimes you just have to take stock and defy the why. If there is no clear answer to the why, start challenging it with why not. And that's what (you) and I have done. Here's to a Hollywood smile!! Catch you on the other side.