Melasma - Clovis, NM

I had the IPL treatment for Melasma on my face and...

I had the IPL treatment for Melasma on my face and it did make my face rejuvinated and lightened up the brown spots tremendously, but now the spots are all back and it seems they have even spread more on my face. I could not leave my house for a couple of days as my face looked like I had spread chocolate all over it.
I Would not recommend this treatment for Melasma as a permanent fix.
I would have to go through the treatment again if I wanted my brown spots to be lightened .
Hi, In the case of melasma, its is as important as the in salon treatments, is a great cosmecutical home care routine. For any pigmentation treatments I always suggest Sunscreen daily min 30+ and I cant stress this enough, a tyrosinase inhibitor, which is a serum that will stop any further pigmentation happening in the cells of the Dermis, also Vit A for cell repair. You should have been placed on these to help with your treatments. you would use these as ongoing home care treatments with the occasional treatment with the IPL for maintanence. In Australia, I recommend ASPECT Pigment Punch (tyrosinase inhibitor) and ASPECT Retinol Brulee (vit A). Go to your salon / dermatologists to see what they recommend. This condition will be managed throughout your life, so proactive treatments and good home care will do the trick. hope this helps. good luck
Hello!! Thank you for sharing your experience in regards to IPL for melasma. The treatment is very effective for melasma and will diminish the appearance of the dark spots. But it is very important that the condition can get worse with hormonal changes and also direct sun exposure. These spots are permanent but can be lightened. It is very important to wear a full spectrum sunscreen with at least a 50 SPF factor.The sunscreen needs to be reapplied every 3 hours. Also even if it is winter sunscreen needs to be worn always. If there is daylight there are UV rays causing damage. Also artificial light from the computer or indoor lighting can increase the dark spots without sunscreen. So again the IPL is a wonderful option to treat dark spots but it does not permanently remove them. Without proper skincare , the condition will fluxuate.
thanx for sharing such helpfull views
Dr. Brown

I think the Dr. did what he could do, with the laser. It is not a permanent treatment.