Botox and Chronic Ill Health - Bristol, England

In my late 30s I started having botox injections...

In my late 30s I started having botox injections for the wrinkles around my eyes about 3 years ago. I didn't realise it at first, but now looking back at the calendar after each set of injections, within 2 days I got ill with flu. Over a couple of years this gradually worsened each time, until last summmer , within 24 hrs of having the injections, I became really unwell- shaking, sore throat, swollen glands and really anxious, not sleeping. This 'flu', has gone on now for over a year- I am very tired, have aching joints, and sore, red tonsils every day. Sometimes it is milder, other times exhausting. I stopped having botox injections as this last episode was such a dramatic reaction, I couldn't put the timing of the botox and the flu down to co-incidence any longer. I lead a really healthy lifestyle, so there are not many other factors which I can look at in terms of causing my ill health. My feeling is that Botox has really comprimised my immune system and a year on I am still feeling weaker and very vulnerable to any viruses which often go around at work, school etc. I have started taking B vitamins which have helped, but still feel plagued by these chronic symptoms. I was really glad to read that other people think Botox might be causing the same thing as when I contacted the nurse who administered it, I was told this was unheard of.

I am in England and I am on week 5. I had 14 units 3 injections between my eyes by a self employed nurse. I was quite anxious before hand about having it and i did stop her after 3 between my eyes as my gut instinct was saying no more, i am so glad i did not have the rest on my forehead and sides of my eyes (30 units more).After I had it the injection sites hurt and were red and i could feel the botox spreading and i knew that day i regretted having it done. The following day I was so ill i had flu symptoms a throat infection where i could not swallow , i spent a week in bed i felt so tired all the time.I also had stomach problems i wasn't sick but it came the other way. All my local doctor kept saying is she didnt know much about it that i should go back to the nurse (which i did but what could she do?? she just gave me my cheque back!). I ended up in accident and emergency Christmas eve much to the dismay of my children (i am in my 30s).I still had a headache after 2 and half weeks, it felt like i was having a head rush sometimes,pins and needles in my head and down to the bridge of my nose like a fizzy feeling (thats the nervous being severed apparently by botox travelling down), it felt like my forehead had been hit with a bat, the nurse said botox travels about an inch from site of injection..well mine travelled at least 2 inches. The poisons unit were contacted by the doctor treating me in A&E and the professor stated that all my symptoms were all stated in Allergan's list and he tried to assure the doctor that although it peaks at 3 weeks gradually the symptoms will fade away. So week 5 i am still getting minor headaches but not half as bad as before, my nose and up between my eyes still feels fizzy and numb like iv been punched between the eyes, i still sometimes feel like my head is in a clamp with pressure but not half as bad as before, my sleep was very deep when i first had the botox, i was so tired i just wanted to sleep the experience away but now in the last week i am not going to sleep as well and i am waking up early..i wonder if this means botox is starting to wear off? The main thing that worries me now is that i cannot see the tv when i watch it still ,i went for eye test last week after A&E told me my sight wasnt too good and worse in my left eye. The eye test has come back that i am short sighted and needs glasses asap ,again worse in my left eye. Is this down to botox? i dont know but i did not notice a sight problem before. I really hope that i feel normal soon and my own anxiety about all this goes because i will NEVER have botox again, it just is not worth putting your precious body at risk for. How are you feeling now and how long has it been since botox?
You might want to try d-ribose for exhaustion. Don't know if you can get it where you are, but it is the only thing that has helped me with my chronic fatigue. Without d-ribose I would not be able to function at all.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm so sorry to hear what a rough year it has been for you. I'm glad to hear the vitamin B shots are helping you some. How long has it been since you had your last Botox injection?

It's just over a year now- I have been having blood tests regularly for the last 6 months and they have been low in platelets, white blood cells and red blood cells. I have started the Ph miracle diet- its an American book I found in a health store, about how to boost your immune system when it's under stress and I think that, and the B vits are helping. Staying off coffee, alcohol , fish and cheese have also helped as I felt terrible after having these- like I had been poisoned! It's a bit boring sticking to the diet but I do notice that if I come off it, I feel worse again. I have just had last bloods back and the platelet count has gone up a bit which I am happy about.I am NEVER having botox again- my immune system has been wiped out and I have not felt properly, 100%well since. Now I make a point of telling my daughter not to be scared of her wrinkles when she's older- I hate the thought of her ever going through this.

Good for you for going to health stores and trying to do all you can to improve your health!! Since those particular foods were making you feel poorly have you (or have you considered) getting tested for allergies? Maybe that could help you find other things that your body isn't fond of, and help you to feel better as well?

Thanks Megan- I had a few allergy tests done and they said different things which was abit confusing- I just think that my body reacts to anything which puts it under stress st the moment- it's like since having the botox my sensitivity to things like chemical cleaners, mental stress, foods which are high in sugar or fermented etc has really increased . I'm trying to stick to a really simple, healthy diet - loads of raw veg etc , buckets of water to drink and vitamins to give my immune system a chance to recover from the tanking I've given it with the Botox. Have you had problems with Botox or was it ok? After stopping the injections I was all upset seeing the wrinkles reappearing, but a year on, I am used to them now, and actually this no sugar, no rubbish diet is improving my skin which is one good thing! The money I used to spend on Botox I'm spending on tonnes of carrots and cucumbers...

That is great that you are seeing such good improvements from you diet change! I haven't noticed any health problems since doing Botox. Sometimes I wonder if its causing brain fog...but then again I tend to pack too much into my days and don't always get as much sleep as I wish I could, so it may be due to that too. I've never had the headaches or flu like symptoms, or anything like that though.