123

So far I've had 3 consultations and I have another...

So far I've had 3 consultations and I have another one this week. I'm still not sure if I like any of these doctors yet. Im hoping to get it done this fall (2013). I just keep thinking about how I will look after and that makes me so nervous!! Im also worried what other people will say after the procedure.

Picked Doctor

Well I decided what doctor I want for the procedure and I feel pretty good about him. HIs office is also checking to see if insurance will cover part of the procedure because I have a breathing problem. I never thought I did, I know I'm a mouth breather but he said the procedure should help and also help with my allergies. So I"m just waiting to find out if it does cover. I"m really nervous though I still have to tell some of my family and not sure how they will take it. I"m also really nervous thinking about what the outcome will be but I"m really excited because I feel like if I don't do this procedure now I will regret it.

Side view before

I saw dr Leedy, dr Bernard (Cleveland clinic), dr goldman and dr guyuron. I'm pretty sure I will go with dr guyuron. But I have heard good things about dr Leedy too. We have good doctors to choose from here

Very exciting! Thanks for your updates. I have not regretted my rhinoplasty (even with having to get a revision because I didn't choose the right dr. the first time) for a second. Fingers crossed that insurance will cover some of this.

I am in Cleveland and thinking about getting my nose done - same reasons, hate the profile, mouth breather, allergies, etc. What doctor have you decided to go with? Dr. Leedy did my lower face lift so when I see him tomorrow I am going to ask him about my nose.

Yay

I found out today that my insurance will cover part of the procedure and therefore I should get st leave from work! That's good because now I don't have to use all my vacation for the procedure. I feel like everything is working out as a good sign I should do this surgery

Thank you! I feel like my nose distracts from my other features. I"m 27 and my boyfriend and my dog were gonna take care of me :)
Congrats on insurance and st leave! How old are you? Who will care for you afterwards? I'm a week after surgery and get cast removal -- go for it!!!! You are beautiful and will be even more stunning. :)

Contact problems...

I wear contacts but for last year or so they bother me after a few hours and I have to put my glasses on. This makes me nervous because I heard after surgery you can't wear glasses for at least a month. I'm not sure what to do about my contact problem. Last time I went to the eye doctor she said everything seemed okay

More Pics Before

Congrats!!! I'm so happy for you... Best of luck. If u have any questions about the procedure or recovery, please ask! I am 3 months post op and so so happy with my results!

Pictures

Today I met with the doctor to look at the pictures/drawings of what he think he can do for my nose. I don't really have an ideal nose that I want I just want my nose but prettier. I told him I trust him with what he plans to do and he will make it as natural as possible. Now I have to figure out when I can have the surgery. It will either be end of Sept, Oct or Nov. I would like it sooner then later. I'm still terrified of the surgery part so I just want to get it over and live my life with a better nose and breathe better.

Hey what doctor did you decide to go with and what made you pick him? Im very curious how your nose will turn out because Im booking my initial consultations right now and am also very scared of how my nose will turn out. Also do you know how much the surgery total costs you? with the insurance and without? Thanks!
Can't wait to hear news that you booked it!

Holding me back...

The only. Thing that's holding me back from a new nose are my own stupid fears!! All I have to do is call to schedule the appointment but I keep thinking of how scared I will be before surgery and how I will feel with a new knose. I know some of it is irrational and I need to stop being so scared!!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Scheduled my surgery!!! Oh boy!!!

Well I finally did! I scheduled my appointment for Sept 23 with Dr. Guyuron. I actually feel calmer and not stressed out now that it is scheduled. Leading up to scheduling I was constantly thinking about it and feeling scared/debating/nervous.
So I guess now I just have to trust I picked the right doctor and hope that it all works out. I know if I didn't this I would regret it later in my life. I also want to note that I will be getting a septoplasty and turbinate reduction.

Congrats on scheduling! I hope everything goes well. I have a similar nose, and it was very difficult finding a surgeon. Hope it comes out beautifully. :)
it's a very nerve racking experience, I had mine done in November, but now I look back and think I don't know why I was so nervous! you'll be fine :)
Thank you! I keep thinking that after this is done I'm going to look back and think how dumb I was for being nervous for nothing!

Count Down 3 weeks!!!

My surgery is about 3 weeks from now. I had my blood drawn the other day and my preop is next week. I have to take a vitamin C supplement for 3 weeks and I have a list of drugs I can't take for 3 weeks. A week before surgery I"m not supposed to drink alcohol and I have a list of mostly fruits I can't eat.
My list of things to get so far include:
*u shape pillow
* throat lozenges
* cotton balls/ q-tips
*soft foods
*Vitamin C
*books
* ice pack
If you have any other suggestions let me know. I'm getting more excited now. I just want to get this over now so I can be the new happy me and feel better.

I didn't know about the caffeine, hopefully I will not be told that! I was told a week before surgery I should avoid eating cherries, cucumbers, apples, wine, raspberries, and other items I can tell you exactly what items they told me if you want. I should also get more information at my preop. Good look to you on surgery! I'm sure everything will go fast day of surgery and then you can just rest at home. I"m trying not to think of the what if's and just think of the final result and how happy I will be.
Thanks, yeah I pretty much eat well....gluten free, no processed sugar and crap....actually I try to stay away from all grains. I bought pineapple juice because that's good for healing too.

Preop

I had my preop today and the nurse and I just going over instructions and what medicines I should be taking. I met with the doctor and he explained again what he will do. I didn't have any questions for him because I feel like he will do whats best and natural for me. I'm a little nervous about the surgery and the recovery period. I hope its not too uncomfortable. I will have splints in my nose and no packing. I am excited though I ill get a pink cast :)
In the doctors waiting room there were two ladies, one was from another sate and the other lady from another country! They both just had rhinioplasy and they had nothing but good things to say about the doctor. This reassured me and they kept saying how happy you will feel after this.

I hoping to get 2 weeks off from work, but today the doctors office said they will tell insurance that you can get 3 weeks off. So I'm not really sure how much time I will have off. I don't think I will know for sure until after the surgery. I just better have at least two weeks off. I"m hoping that will be enough time....

So count down begins, I will be using this time getting my prescriptions filled, getting a U-shapped pillow, and other items I might need to help get me thru that week.

You are not dumb at all for being nervous and you are not being nervous for nothing! It is a huge deal but when you get to the other side, when the results are to your liking, you will definitely be relieved. Your nervousness is very normal and valid, though... so go easy on yourself :)

Making the right choice??

I'm getting pretty nervous. My surgery is about a week away. I just hope I still look like me but better. Some after pictures I see the person looks drastically different. I know I will look different especially since my nose is a disaster, but I'm just having hard time picutring what I will look like after.

Hi Shawn yes they told me 3 weeks before no fish oils or vitamin E. They also don't me one week before no Tomatoes, and a bunch of other fruits and veggies plus alcohol. They also wanted me to talk Vitamin C for 2 weeks before and vitamin K a few days before becuase I"m a vegetarian. Yes I'm from Cleveland and I feel very fortunate to have a really good doctor so close to me. I saw 3 other doctors before him, but I also had personal testimonies from the doctor I decided to go to. I felt like he was very observant compared to the other 3 doctors. Your pictures look great!!
Thank you....Im sure your surgery will go great. I hope you picked the right surgeon.
Remember, no fish oils or vitamin e.....btw that goes for any surgery, cosmetic or not. Also do not have any tomatoes either! Are you from the Cleveland area? is that why you picked the surgeon you did?

Shower??

I was wondering if you guys would wash your hair/shower during the first week recovery? Was it difficult? Any suggestions....

For the shower question.. I took a warm bath by the 3rd day post op. Just make sure you shower the morning of surgery, so your hair will last a few days before getting really greasy.
You are gorgeous already, your going to be stunning after! Good luck Monday, everything will be fine :)
best of luck :)

Last weekend!

My surgery is Monday at 7am! It feels very unreal because I've wanted this for a long time. I just know I'm going to be a wreck before surgery, I know I'm making the right choice its just such a scary time. I just hope everything works out good.

It's always scary having surgery but you will go under and wake up and feel like no time as passed and it's over! The recovery for most people isn't bad, it's the bandages and not being able to sleep flat that is the worst part. Good luck!
Don't be nervous! It's honestly really easy and not painful. Just will be uncomfortable. I was super anxious and scared for anesthesia and that part was so super easy. You will be so happy afterwards.
You'll do great! As far as showering...I showered like 3 times during the first week with the cast on. Easy peasy....just stand with your back toward the shower head and be careful. I used a facecloth to cover my face when I was rinsing. Good luck on Monday!

12 hours away

In about 12 hours I will be at the hospital for my surgery! Im trying to keep myself busy around the house to calm my nerves. I just feel shocked I can't believe this is really going to happen. After so many years of feeling self-counsious. I spoke with this lady today hows in her early 80's and she said she had a nose job in her late 30's. She was had a very positive outcome of the procedure and she was encouraging. I"m trying to think very positive and not worry because I'm sure everything will work out perfect. I have to start taking my anti-biotics and they gave me a sleeping pill but I don't think I will take it tonight.

Good luck!!! Showering is easy, I found washing my hair in the bath a lot easier though. You will be fine!!!
You will be fine, wish you all the best, let us know how it all goes!

Surgery over!

Wow I can't believe it's over! I was so scared and crying while I was waiting to go in for surgery. I remember being in the or room and the lady told me to switch beds and she said u probably won't even remember this and that was the last thing I remember. Everyone was so nice and positive. I was having a good dream when the nurse woke me up. I was nauseous for a little
Bit so I had to lay down longer. Even in the car ride I felt a little nauseous but I feel better now, just a little weak. They put this stuff in my eyes so my eyes have been blurry all day and draining fluid but I think it's almost all out. My one eye is a little bruised but nothing as bad as I thought it would be. I'm hoping tomorrow it doesn't get worst but I'm sure It will. The drip bad is annoying and I'm not dripping much so maybe tomorrow I can take it off. I see the doctor tomorrow at 8 am. I took a pain medicine but it's not really making me tired or feel tingle so that's no fun. Lol. I did nap and because I normally breathe out of my mouth I haven't had much difficulty. I've been keeping a cold damp rag on my forehead and that helps me feel better. So far it's been easier than I hope it stays like that

Yay you did it! Sleep it off for 3 or 4 days...lol. It goes by quick.
I hope so! I just saw the doctor and I won't get the cast off till Tuesday. It seems like such a long time away. My face feels very sore and I have a little but more brushing than yesterday. I've been feeling nauseous and had to take medicine. I hope this goes quickly I'm so nervous to see what I look like.

Cast itching!

It's the second night and my cast is itching so bad. I'm also afraid to move my face too much. This is going to be such a long week. My tip looks swollen and round. I'm trying not to think about it though cuz I know it will be swollen. All I want to do is sleep thru all of this.

Day 3

I watched more tv today and took a nap. I was able to get my contacts in. I just have pressure on the cast and it's driving me crazy plus still itching. I want time to speed up! It feels like it's going so slow now

Hang in there! The itching sucks but there is nothing you can do. I had some itching and pressure to. Perfectly normal and swelling really will distort the final version. Unfortunately, it is a lengthy process but one that is well worth it.

Day 4

I definetly recommend taking laxatives. I had to run out and get some today. I have so much dried blood in the nostrils. I tried calling the doctor today to see if I can clean it but they never called me back. Also I keep yawning and it kind of hurts my nostrils. The cast is getting so annoying !

I hope you're healing well! After my surgery I got rid of some of the dried blood by putting some saline or hydrogen peroxide on a q tip and gently swirling it around inside my nose. My doctor suggested this and it really helped.
Thanks. I tried that and my nose started bleeding more. Not to be too graphic but I think there is so much blood there so I'll have to wait till Tuesday when I see the doctor.

Day 5/ almost day 6

I feel like I'm in jail counting down the days until my nose is free. Today I felt good watched tv and my grandma came over. My nose started to bleed for a bit and I just used a tissue to dap the nostril. Later I went for a car ride and then a very short walk in the park. I felt good after but also kind of exhausted. I used a q tip with peroxide and blood and just very gently I cleaned the outside of my nostril. I did go I'm my nostril but not far at all. I then noticed I started to bleed again so I had my bf put the drip pad back on. When he did that I felt my nostril feel a little weird. Now I'm nervous the internal splits were moved or maybe even the stitches. Or maybe I'm just imagining it or maybe it's the blood moving around my nose. I just don't want to mess anything up. I took a sleeping pill so hopefully my nose feels better tomorrow. If not I'll call the doctor.

Don't put anything up your nose!! It's so tempting but just leave it! I learnt the hard way and spent the night in hospital with a bleed. If you have a sensitve blood vessel or something in your nose just leave it and it will be fine and tell your surgeon when you see him. PLEASE do not stick anything up there! In Aus we have something called drixine to shrink the vessel and stop the bleed so you can always grab something like that from the chemist. Same sort of stuff they use for haemmroids (gross haha). If you leave it you will have no problems :)
Hi, ive had heaps of blood aswell Nd my doctor suggested that i dont clean anything until my cast came off. When does your cast come off?
Hi I get my cast off Tuesday October 2. It's 8 days after surgery. I feel like that is a longer time than most. Your nose is so pretty!!!

day 6

Day 6

Cast Off

I got the cast off today. It took the nurse awhile to get the dried blood out my nose. That part probably hurt the worst. I think Im in shock. My side profile looks good, but I just feel the front of my face is so swollen and numb. Plus my skin seems to have gotten bad. I tried putting makeup on and It looks cakey now. Also the one side of my nostril feels stuffy and they said thats okay, Just give it sometime. I know that I need to give it time and I'm pretty sure with time I will love my new nose, I just have so many emotions right now. It just doesn't feel like my nose yet. Maybe becuase its still sore and numb but It doesn't feel like me yet.

I hope you will be happy with the results.
How are you feeling today? I hope you've gotten a bit more use to your new nose:)
My nose was so numb throughout the process that luckily I had no pain from start to cast removal so I guess I am greatful for the numbness. The entire tip is still numb. I agree about the cakey makeup. Makeup was rough to Put on for the first 2 weeks post cast removal but it does get better. My face however, especially my nose has been super oily. I am 9 weeks out but still experiencing that I just carry blotting pads and blot throughout the day which helps.

Next day

I was feeling kind of sad/confused earlier today. I"m not sure if I should be happy with my nose or not. It's def better than what I had, its just freaks me out to see myself looking different. I'm also frustrated becuase the one side is so stuffy and it looks a lot bigger than the other side. I called the doctors office again and they said to just give it time, its very swollen. I really hope thats the case because now I can't breathe and the whole point of surgery was to fix it!

I visited some family today and they all loved my new nose so that made me feel a little better. I went to get some new make up and the lady rubs a tissue down my nose after I told her about the surgery! It didn't hurt but it felt a little more numb after.

I see the doctor in a month so I really hope swelling goes down and I can breathe again otherwise I have no idea what ill do...

Overall though I feel a little better. I'm just not in LOVE with my new nose yet.

I'm sure it will be fine. But I can understand how you feel. I think I'm going to feel exactly the same! I dont think I will like my after nose, but I hate my before nose too!

Breathing

Another thing that is freaking me out, I am more of a mouth breather now! I feel like I can't breath at all if my mouth is closed! This is making me so nervous!!!

Hey i couldnt breath through my nose but now its been 6 weeks im breathing fine. I got a really bad cold 2-3 weeks after my surgery. After 4-5 weeks you start to feel great again.
How is your breathing? Did it get better?
I experienced all things that you are going through. They are normal. Hang in there. It is tough for a while but it gets better.

Happy

It's been one week since my cast came off and at first I wasn't sure what to think/did I make the right decision. I must say I am very happy I did this and overall the whole process was a lot easier then anticipating. I've had many comments that it still looks like me but better. One person said I looked different but couldn't figure out what it was :)

My nose is still very swollen and I understand know that it takes time but I feel very confident with my results. Each day I can tell it feels better. I am still just waiting for the stuffiness go away. I hoping that at my 1 month check up they will be able to clean my nose out good, I still think there is some dried blood up in there.

I am not posting pics because google image is getting them so If you would like to see the results send me a message and I would be more than happy to email.

Overall, I think if you did your research and you understand that its an emotional journey as well I recommend this surgery.

sending you a message for sure, hope you get it :D
Hey I'd love to see current photos as I'm battling some crazy swelling. I'll send you a message!
I am glad to hear you like your new nose. Congrats.

5 weeks after

Beautiful result, looks completely natural. Would love to see a frontal pic.
Your profile looks great! Could you please post a frontal?
beautiful

weird

Is it weird that I"m afraid my old nose will grow backā€¦.

Why would you "recommend taking laxatives"
Because the pain meds and sitting around for a few days is not a good combination
lol your old nose won't grow back
Dr. Guyuron