Dr. Bahman Guyuron - Cleveland, OH

In summation: Bahman Guyuron did my original...

In summation: Bahman Guyuron did my original procedure and my revision. The revision was necessary due to his original surgery being so awful. Seeing him was the biggest mistake of my life and I regret it every day. I will need a third surgery, and a lot more money, to fix his mistake.

My story:

I will write a brief review now, then come back later to add the details. Please know that I am using my mom's account, because she was researching doctors prior to my surgery, so our history is under this account.

I came to Bahman Guyuron because he was recommended to me by doctors in my area (I used to live in Birmingham, MI). When I first saw him, I really only needed by turbinates reduced, this was something that an ENT should have done. However, I also felt that I had a slightly bulbous tip and if I already having surgery, then I would have the tip work done too.

I flew all the way to Cleveland to see him because I wanted "the best". He told me what I needed was routine and he would help my breathing by at least 50%, and refine my nose to make it more feminine and match my features. He also told me that he wanted to put in a spreader graft, but he PROMISED me that my nose would not look any wider. He said it would be 1/10 of a millimeter wider, but it would be imperceptible to anyone.

Right after the first surgery, my nose looked wider and it only went downhill from there. My bulbous tip remained, and my breathing was never corrected. I emailed him every few months to help me and he told me to keep taping my nose (up to a year later!). I understood that nothing could be done until one year had passed, as the swelling needed to subside. I was fine with that and wanted to do what was best. One year later I traveled again to Cleveland and he agreed that my nose was not what it should be so he did the revision.

It has been four months since my revision, and every day I want to cry. My nose is a mess. It is twice as wide as it was before I even came to him. He never even requested a follow-up appointment after my last surgery. I have never heard of a surgeon not wanting to review his own work. I barely breathe through my nose and when I do my nostril collapses! There is a photo above.

I do not believe that I can have another surgery, even with a different doctor, because too many surgeries and I’ll look like Michael Jackson. I’m sick to my stomach every day with my decision to trust him. I should have looked at his credentials, such as where he went to school, and not just what kind of TV appearances he had made. Feel free to reach out to me with questions. I hope no one has to go through this awful experience.

As to his bedside manner: The first time I saw the doctor, he was nice and helpful, willing to answer questions. Since my surgeries, he barely spends two minutes (literally) and rolls his eyes if I ask anything at all.

On another note, his office staff is kind. But of course, none of that matters now.

Lastly, I have read reviews that seem almost fake. Like they were posted by a doctor. You should know I am a real person. I am a young woman living in Chicago. Hope this helps you.

Regret this surgery every day

Just an updated photo. My nose five months after two surgeries with Guyuron. It had a slightly bulbous tip before he did a rhinoplasty then revision. Now the entire thing is twice the size.
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Bahman Guyuron negatively impacted my life in a horrible way. He performed my original rhinoplasty and my revision. I am left with a nose that is 50% wider than my original nose, a collapsed nostril, and confidence that has been destroyed.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with your nose! It looks fine from the front! I notice the collapsed nostril only when you were looking up. I don't recommend you to have another surgery!! You really don't need it!
I think your nose in the 5 months post op photo looks smaller. It looks less bulbous.
Thanks but are you sure you're looking at the right order of the pics? The second one is my original nose, which is significantly more narrow.
I am looking at the photo under your the heading "regret this surgery every day".
I definitely would wait. The mid-vault area tends to narrow over time due to the contractual forces of healing and the negative pressure when you breath. This make take a year or more, but that area will narrow. Structurally, your nose is stronger with the spreader grafts though they can make the bridge wider, as you've noticed. I just wouldn't want you to rush anything. I know it is hard. I lived with a terrible primary result thanks to a couple of surgeons in L.A. who do surgery together. I am sorry you are going through this!
Thanks Kricket, I definitely will not do anything before the one-year mark. The problem is that my nose did not need to be stronger or need spreader grafts. The only issue I had with breathing was turbinates, which I simply should have seen an ENT for. Thanks for your information and comments. Any support helps.
Sorry I had a similar experience with a surgeon putting in spreader grafts without telling me which also made my nose sooo much wider. My nose has also only gotten worse with teh surgeries that I've had. Can I ask who are you seeing in Chacago? I'm interested in a surgeon there as well.
Hi Rachael Lynn, have you had surgery to remove the graft and make it more narrow again? Who have you been to? I am still unsure who will do my revision.
Whatever you do, do not see Dr. T who is claiming to be famous. He will make your nose even bigger and out of rib. I live in Chicago and have seen pretty much everyone for consultation and have done research on many of them. Feel free to message me if you want a feedback on a Chicago surgeon. I would be glad to share with you. I had a primary with one of the "top" Chicago plastic surgeon/ENT and well, lets just say I am now a revision patient except he totally ruined my nose. Your nose at least looks even and normal mine ended up twisted and zig zag. PM me if you have any questions. Living in Chicago I probably know more about all of these plastic surgeons as they were all my first choices and I have done very deep research on many of them.
Thank you all for your comments. I plan to see another doctor in Chicago. It's so sad for me to have to wait another year for a revision. Yes, my nose isn't awful. However, given two surgeries and tons of money, and most notably a nice nose to start with, it's bad. He put a spreader graft in because he said it would help me breathe. If he had been honest and told me how it would impact me cosmetically, I NEVER would've agreed. Especially because from what I read, I understood that it does make the nose wider. As I mentioned in my review, he said the spreader graft would be imperceptible. My breathing beforehand wasn't even bad. I will try to pot a pic from after the first surgery, but all he dud was make it even worse. He blamed all of this on my "thick skin" and "bleeding issues". I am Caucasian, female, and have had surgeries before. I've never, ever been told I had a problem with any of those things.
I am sorry to hear about your experience. I would wait for a year then have a consultation a couple of surgeons. I wouldn't go back to the original doctor.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on RealSelf!

I honestly don't think that your nose looks bad at least from the pics but I can see that it was more refined before which is disappointing. Can I ask why he decided to put spreaders in your nose and was this discussed before your op? My last surgeon did this to me and it was never discussed and it made my nose much wider. Also what did your nose look like after the first surgery before your revision? I really don't understand why he made your tip bigger when you asked for it to be more refined. Sorry this happened.
wow this sucks...