Wasn't for Me - Cleveland, OH

Started Accutane when I was 17 years old for acne...

Started Accutane when I was 17 years old for acne (cysts, whiteheads, blackheads). Was on the drug for only 3-4 months because it caused me pain in joints/lower back, felt sluggish and sick at times. I wanted it to work so much for me since it worked "miracles" for friends, but it caused my skin to not heal properly. I would get a cut or bug bite and it would last for weeks turning into a sore. I had cuts around the corner of my mouth and sores from acne just not healing. I also did not like having to get my blood drawn every month as required by my doctor to insure I was not pregnant. Did not see any improvement in my acne on the short time I was on it.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.  I'm sorry you didn't get the results you wanted, that is always a bummer.  Are you trying something different now?  I'm sure there are lots of our Community Members who also had disappointing results on Accutane, so please let us know if you find anything that does work for you, whether it is prescription or OTC or some sort of treatment.

Hi Jill81, thanks. It was disappointing but my acne did subside for a bit, but now that I am 22 it has become acne just isolated around my mouth and chin. I recently went back to the dermatologist and we both agreed to put me Spironolactone (Aldactone) pill. I started off with 25 mg and worked my way up to 50 mg. I have been on it for a little over a month. Have seen improvements in oil reduction and small blackheads disappeared around my nose, however I still battling the cystic acne. I think it actually caused an initial break out for me, two weeks after I started it. Hoping to see results within another month. There are side effects like it being a diuretic, potassium sensitive, and can make me dizzy sometimes which are things to look out for.