Facial Paralysis - Clearwater, FL

I had fraxel done several years ago with a modest...

I had fraxel done several years ago with a modest improvement.
I did Botox and juvederm after that. Few times over the next few years. I went in a few weeks ago ( and saw the doctor who had taken over the practice) to have a touch up and was encouraged to have the dual fraxel to help with tone and the brown spot I had developed on the sides of my cheeks.

The recovery was much worse than previous treatments. Instead of being 90% improved on the third day, the swelling was even worse. By the 6 th day the swelling was almost down ,but I had to take the contact out of my left eye as it was dry. The following morning I could not smile raising my upper lip on either side. The left side was almost non existent along with inability to completely close the eye lid.

I called the doctor and was told that he was out of town until Monday. I was told to come in Monday 10 am. Then I got a call at 9:30 saying it was cancelled and rescheduled for Tuesday at noon. I came in then and sat in the waiting room for over an hour. I called my GP s practice (she had moved away) They could not get me in but advised to get immediate care. I went to the urgent care clinic (where I received a call 47 minutes after I left ( 1 hr 47 min after my appt). The urgent care doctor thought it was bells palsy but was concerned that there may be something else since it affected both sides.

After some research I have found that the chance for complete recovery is much better if you are treated within 48 hr. so I missed that window. I am on my 48 th hr of treatment and may have slight improvement on my right side. I have an appt with a neurologist on dec 27.
And those vertical lines on my cheeks are still there
I really believe the swelling brought on this problem especially on the right side. The post op swelling was very severe along my jaw line and cheeks right where the nerve that innervates your upper lip and lacrimal gland travels.

I took the medications prescribed and finally saw...

I took the medications prescribed and finally saw a neurologist a few days ago. The neurologist said the effects were from the BOTOX and could find nothing else wrong.

It will take several months for this to wear off. I continue to have trouble closing my left eye along with a lip droop.

SO BEWARE EVERYONE! THIS MAY HAVE BEEN FROM POOR INJECTION, OR POSSIBLY DISTURBANCE OF THE AREA 48 HOURS AFTER THE BOTOX. WHO KNOWS.

Facial paralysis

So I went to the neurologist 3 weeks after the Botox and Fraxel. He felt like the Botox was to blame. I finally got in to see the doctor who did the procedures. He had never heard of a problem 48 hrs after Botox, but his assistant Donna informed me that the previous doctor had a similar outcome when the Botox and Fraxel were done on the same day. Anyway my face is pretty much back to normal. The Fraxel did get rid of some of the hyperpigmentation. Not sure if I will be doing any Botox except for my worry furrow in the future.
Todd Besnoff

I rate it 0 stars. This doctor was not responsible for his patient. He had no coverage on a Friday morning when there was a complication. I was put off for 4 days when I could have been receiving face saving treatment .

Wow! I am so sorry. But guess what? I had fraxel dual in july 2012 this year and also have facial paralysis. omg. My right upper lip cannot raise up all the way and my right side of face is drooping lower than left. The neuro said it is not a bells palsy but facial nerve damage on that right side of face. It has been 6 months and absolutely no change. I also had massive swelling.I also sustained fat loss and laser burn scarring.I don't even look like myself at all.I am so devastated. I know how you feel. My derm is blowing off ALL MY DAMAGE and discarding me like garbage.She was only supposed to treat a small isolated area of scarring on my cheek and did my whole face on MAX settings against my wishes I found out in my records. Are you going to seek legal action?I am trying but these other derms are denying that the laser could penetrate and do this. I am furious and so upset.
So you did not have Botox done around this time? This has me really concerned now. To think that this may be permanent is devastating. I think I may need to contact an attorney. We need to stay in touch.

I am so sorry you are going through this:(

Please keep us up to date and let us know what the neurologist tells you.