Not a Good Option of People of Color - Very Visible Scars (Not Keloids) - Clayton, MO

I had a LSL in April of 2010. With the 3 year...

I had a LSL in April of 2010. With the 3 year mark rapidly approaching, I felt obligated to review this procedure. I am a woman of color, and was very skeptical about the LSL because of where they do the incision (outside of the ear). I questioned this at the time of my pre-op & was assured there would be no visible scars. NOT SO!!! I have some VERY VISIBLE SCARS that I have to hide with my hair. No more updo's for me! The scars are visible from a distance of 4 feet so any close contact & the cat is definitely out of the bag. I actually had someone ask me last week if I had surgery on my ears! The doctor agreed to revise the scar, using the same procedure - I passed. I could not see making another incision over the old incision & sewing it up the same way making much of a difference. In fact, I was deafly afraid it would make it worse. I would not recommend this procedure for ANYONE who has the slightest amount of melanin in their skin! Skip the LSL & so straight to a mini face lift where the incisions are hidden inside your ears.
Dr Farias

The Doctor told me there would be no visible scarring. I am a woman of color, and like to wear my hair pulled back off of my face. I was VERY apprehensive about scarring. The doctor assured me this would not be a problem. Almost 3 years later, I was left with VERY visible scars, and while the doctor agreed to revise the scar, I could not see cutting the same incision open & reclosing it making much of a difference.

My left side of my. Face is paralized and the chin scar is horrible I was ma ed by these people
Sorry you experienced that and thanks. Our first mind is usually right, huh? African and African American women always show our ears. Too bad it's not surprising the cosmetic surgeons never consider that.
I am sorry that you are disappointed! To me, it actually looks fine and not very visible. And regarding the person who asked about the surgery:There are always people who are naively searching for possible "negative traits" to be discovered. And often false things are assumed.

Thank you for sharing your experience on RealSelf!