Not a Good Option of People of Color - Very Visible Scars (Not Keloids) - Clayton, MO

I had a LSL in April of 2010. With the 3 year...

I had a LSL in April of 2010. With the 3 year mark rapidly approaching, I felt obligated to review this procedure. I am a woman of color, and was very skeptical about the LSL because of where they do the incision (outside of the ear). I questioned this at the time of my pre-op & was assured there would be no visible scars. NOT SO!!! I have some VERY VISIBLE SCARS that I have to hide with my hair. No more updo's for me! The scars are visible from a distance of 4 feet so any close contact & the cat is definitely out of the bag. I actually had someone ask me last week if I had surgery on my ears! The doctor agreed to revise the scar, using the same procedure - I passed. I could not see making another incision over the old incision & sewing it up the same way making much of a difference. In fact, I was deafly afraid it would make it worse. I would not recommend this procedure for ANYONE who has the slightest amount of melanin in their skin! Skip the LSL & so straight to a mini face lift where the incisions are hidden inside your ears.
Dr Farias

The Doctor told me there would be no visible scarring. I am a woman of color, and like to wear my hair pulled back off of my face. I was VERY apprehensive about scarring. The doctor assured me this would not be a problem. Almost 3 years later, I was left with VERY visible scars, and while the doctor agreed to revise the scar, I could not see cutting the same incision open & reclosing it making much of a difference.