Don't Waste Your Money - Clarksville, MD

I first started Invisalign about 5 years ago, when...

I first started Invisalign about 5 years ago, when it was still a relatively new procedure. Something that was NOT mentioned at all in any of the packets or pamphlets was the need for attachments on many of my FRONT teeth, in fact my orthodontist didn't even tell me what he was doing he just put them on there. As you can imagine I was absolutely furious, I called the next day to have them adjusted. I have had these attachments so sharp on some teeth that it has actually cut my gums and left sores. The whole APPEAL of Invisalign is that they are more aesthetically appealing than braces, that effect is ruined by attachments. Now for the actual experience after going through an entire box of Invisalign, my orthodontist tells me I need to wear a retainer!?! And when I inquire as to how long the answer is years. Are you serious? Sorry I don't want to wear retainers and other devices the rest of my life when i'm in my twenties. Since my initial Invisalign I've gone through a few other boxes, the only positive to this whole experience is how my insurance has handled the remaining treatments, very little personal cost. I think perhaps Americans are a tad bit obsessed with straight teeth in general, there is simply no reason to fix your teeth to conform to celebrity standards, when you could just be happy with your imperfections. Overall if you're looking for a permanent fix for your teeth and don't want to spend YEARS with an inadequate product, get real braces do your time and the results will be better.
Dr. Byron Bonebreak

It's a family practice, one of the receptionists is the wife of the main orthodontist and the son also practices there now. So of course everyone is totally infatuated by each other. When I called to have my attachments adjusted and spoke to the receptionist I was immediately given a rude, condescending, defensive manner rather than a well make your problem right attitude. This attitude probably stemmed from the fact that during much of my procedure I was a college student, so it's okay to talk down to me because i'm a "child". It's a local, long standing favorite simply because 30 years ago he was probably the only doctor in the Columbia - Clarksville area. Every once in awhile during the treatment I would have to go in to have the orthodontist shave away at my teeth without one again really INFORMING me of what he was doing. I've even had my gums cut before by your haphazardly shaving basically using a nail file- like device. Also, during the fittings for the Invisalign I had rude assistants screw up the fittings multiple times, and then forcibly shoving lovely clay molds into your mouth enough to make you barf? I even had to come in AGAIN to have molds retaken because of assistant error. Oh and I love it when they forget the last time I had pictures was and spend hours digging through a box, sure just waste my time.

Sorry to hear you didn't feel well prepared for what to expect with the attachments. It seems most dentists and orthodontists are going out of their way now to make sure people understand about attachments, and probably in large part due to learning from early cases such as yours.

As for the retainers, those are lifelong to some degree even with traditional braces, so don't feel like you missed out on an opportunity to live a retainer free life by deciding to get Invisalign.