Best Gift I Ever Gave Myself - Cincinnati, OH

After having 3 large babies, I still looked to be...

After having 3 large babies, I still looked to be about 7-8 months pregnant even though my youngest child was 3 years old. My stomach started protruding underneath my breasts and continued to my lower abdomen. I didn't have terrible stretch marks or loose skin--it was the connective tissue over the muscles that stretched out and would not tighten up without surgical intervention.

I went to a teaching hospital, The University of Cincinnati, because the cost was cheaper than private plastic surgeons and I knew I would have an experienced resident and her supervising doctor in the operating room. I paid to stay the night in the hospital and I'm very glad I did. The ride home was excruciating. I couldn't stand up straight for weeks. I retained fluid and needed drains out of my pubic area for a couple of weeks. Thankfully, my parents were able to keep my children for a few weeks because I wasn't able to move around much.

Pros: Ten years later, my stomach is still flat. Having the surgery prompted me to exercise & lose more weight.

Cons: very painful recovery, ugly scar from one hip to the other

University of Cincinnati Hospital

The staff at the hospital aren't the most friendly but it was worth dealing with them for the cheaper price and quality of doctors.