Downtime, Itch, Pain--results Not Dramatic Enough to Be Worth It - Chicago, IL

I had the Vi Peel (Vi Precision Peel, 25% stronger...

I had the Vi Peel (Vi Precision Peel, 25% stronger than the original) done on Sunday. It's now Thursday, my face has peeled off (some places more than once) and it has not stopped being painful (think incredibly chapped lips, except all over your face) and terribly itchy since it was put on.

The solution isn't really painful going on, it's just slightly "ouch"-y. You can get used to it easily. The thing that gets you is how terribly itchy it is. And that the itching does not stop. Even using the post peel lotion, which is 1% hydrocortisone, does not really stop it. Without that, you won't even sleep. The itching has actually woken me up. And honestly, using cortisone on the face is scary for me, even if it's only for 5 days. Steroid atrophy doesn't occur that fast, but it still spooks me. Topical lidocaine or pramazine would work better anyway. I'm almost out of the post peel lotion and I still have a lot of healing to do. I'm going to buy Aveeno anti-itch with pramazine to take its place. Hope it works!

My face is sore in several areas and incredibly itchy all over as I type and I'm four days out. I've been using Skin Medica Dermal Repair (a godsend--and something that works consistently for me) and NeoCutis' growth factor serum (forget the name)--also a boon. The moisturizing must be constant. As soon as it dries the itching starts. And putting on the moisturizer? Prepare for a lot of stinging, especially when the skin has only just peeled. yipes.

The moisturizers are hopefully taking care of the very fragile skin that's been uncovered by the peel. Some skin uncovered prematurely. Almost can't be helped--there's so much peeling, whenever you wash your face (gently), it starts coming off. Moisturizing makes it come off too and you'll go nuts if you don't moisturize. I can see that the results look pretty OK (although the skin is still very red), but considering the level of discomfort and the loooong amount of time you can't even go out of the house (looks-wise and skin health-wise: the new skin would burn using almost any sunscreen), it's just not worth it for me. I'm surprised, because usually I can take a pretty good amount of pain and discomfort, but this peel is freaking killing me. Five days gone, easily. I'd do illegal things for an itch-less face at this point.

If it'd been CO2 or phenol, I'd understand the downtime and discomfort, but for a peel of this caliber? Just so not worth it. Never again.
Dr. Pat Chiamas

I love my doctor like sugar. It's the peel that sucks. Live and learn.

I am sorry to hear this is making you climb the walls during recovery..Ugh!

How are you doing now?

Much better now, thanks! It itched for another day and then cleared up. Unfortunately, I got contact dermatitis on my lower neck and clavicle and that's just now clearing up. Not a great experience. On the plus side, my skin is nice and glowy, but the hyperpigmentation I had is not greatly improved. All in all, just glad it's over. :)

Glad to hear you are doing better now.  What an experience!